Sign in with
Your question

Ping rates

Last response: in Windows XP
September 13, 2003 1:12:42 AM

I have MSI K7N2 Delta Motherboard, 2.4 Athlon XP processor, Geforce 4Ti4600 platinum graphics card, 512 DDR memory, XP Home edition, 1024 Creative Labs soundcard, BT broadband connection.

Anyway at the start of the week I had all of the above except I was running Windows ME and had a steady average ping rate of approx 50.

Had XP installed and they have tripled. In the morning/afternoon the ping rate is low, but at night it goes up and sometimes fluctuates wildly.

I tried another PC I have at the same time it was high and the ping would appear the same, but I'm not convinced it's nothing to do with my machine.

Does anyone have any ideas how to lower it again or is it simply the telephone service providor who's at fault.

Any suggestions to do with my machine, simpletons language please, XP is brand new to me.

Thanks in advance.

More about : ping rates

September 14, 2003 7:38:04 AM

BT Broadband as in Cable? If the answer is yes, don`t worry, that´s normal with cable, heh! if you were running winXP Pro then there is another thing thing called "Quality of Service" wich takes up, or reserves, 20% of bandwidth for itself.

<A HREF="http://www.raspppoe.com" target="_new"> you might want to get this </A>

Beat the heat with the USB-Powered Fan :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TomaHawK on 09/14/03 09:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 14, 2003 2:04:57 PM

BT broadband (and narrowband, for that matter) is known to have pretty awful reliability, speed and spiking. I've thought my computer was malfunctioning a few times before, and it turned out just to be BT messing up again.

Could also be that broadband takeup on your phone exchange has just increased. If a few people on your exchange are downloading massive amounts when they get home from work or school, this will have an impact on your evening ping rate.

If I were to put money on it, I'd say the fact that you'd just installed WinXP when this started to happen is nothing but coincidence. But just to be sure, try installing <A HREF="http://www.netlimiter.com/" target="_new">netlimiter</A> to keep an eye on the bandwidth your programs are using.
September 18, 2003 9:31:56 AM

You need to uninstall the QoS Packet Scheduler or use a third party software or modify the registry to remove the 20% reservement if this does not help. And also don't forget to disable the QoS feature in your advanced settings for your ethernet adapter.

Viel Glück!

Intel Pentium 4 - 400Mhz FSB - 2.4Ghz
- 1152mb pc-133 - Ati Radeon 9700 128Mb
!