WINXP & External HDD

I have an 80G External HDD that became full of backups so I thought I might
just format it rather than delete everything individually so I could start
out fresh.

When I clicked on the File/Format option in My Computer it only has NTFS,
but my drive is formatted as one FAT32 partition. So I ended up removing the
files with the Remove function of a drive scanner program I have.

I assume that if I tried it would have refused somehow, but it left me
wondering--would it possibly change the format type if I let it? If so,
would that do any good (e.g. for cloning)?

Pflueger
5 answers Last reply
More about winxp external

    Hi,

    The format won't change unless you initiate it. As the FAT32, WinXP won't
    format in that file system beyond 32GB. You would need to use a different
    utility.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Pflueger писал(а):
    > I have an 80G External HDD that became full of backups so I thought I might
    > just format it rather than delete everything individually so I could start
    > out fresh.
    >
    > When I clicked on the File/Format option in My Computer it only has NTFS,
    > but my drive is formatted as one FAT32 partition. So I ended up removing the
    > files with the Remove function of a drive scanner program I have.
    >
    > I assume that if I tried it would have refused somehow, but it left me
    > wondering--would it possibly change the format type if I let it? If so,
    > would that do any good (e.g. for cloning)?
    >
    > Pflueger

    Hello,

    If you really wish to erase your HDD and start from scratch you can use
    KillDisk software that is capable of erasing the whole drive, including
    its partition table. So, after its progress you will be able to
    re-partition it the way you wish. KillDisk is also a secure erasing
    software, so that it would be impossible to restore erased data. Head
    on to its site www.killdisk.com for more info and download.

    -Brona

    > "Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in message
    >>I have an 80G External HDD that became full of backups so I thought I
    >>might
    >> just format it rather than delete everything individually so I could
    >> start
    >> out fresh.
    >>
    >> When I clicked on the File/Format option in My Computer it only has NTFS,
    >> but my drive is formatted as one FAT32 partition. So I ended up removing
    >> the
    >> files with the Remove function of a drive scanner program I have.
    >>
    >> I assume that if I tried it would have refused somehow, but it left me
    >> wondering--would it possibly change the format type if I let it? If so,
    >> would that do any good (e.g. for cloning)?
    >>
    >> Pflueger

    > news:%23EjTyW3fFHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...> Hi,
    >
    > The format won't change unless you initiate it. As the FAT32, WinXP won't
    > format in that file system beyond 32GB. You would need to use a different
    > utility.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Pflueger:
    As Rick points out, WinXP does not provide the capability to format a
    partition in FAT32 > 32 GB; however, there is a simple program (Linux
    developed) that allows a user to do so within the XP environment. If you're
    interested, so indicate and I'll furnish the details.

    I assume from your remarks that the program you used to "remove" its files
    simply deleted them and that your USB external HD is still FAT32 formatted.
    I'm not clear about your question as to whether "change(ing) the format (of
    that external drive) would ... do any good ... for cloning". If you clone
    the contents of your internal drive to the external one, the external
    (destination) drive will contain the same file system of the source disk. Is
    that what you're asking?

    I don't think there's any particular significance as it relates to the file
    system of your external drive, with one exception. If you're going to be
    using that drive in a Win9x/Me environment, e.g., backing up files from one
    or more of those operating systems, then it would be necessary for the
    external drive to be FAT32 formatted since those operating systems can "see"
    only FAT32 partitions.
    Anna

    Anna, For sake of simplicity please follow the edited thread below:>

    > Pflueger:
    > As Rick points out, WinXP does not provide the capability to format a
    > partition in FAT32 > 32 GB; however, there is a simple program (Linux
    > developed) that allows a user to do so within the XP environment. If
    you're
    > interested, so indicate and I'll furnish the details.

    I was wondering if it would be possible to change the format from FAT32 to
    NTSF on that external drive.

    > I assume from your remarks that the program you used to "remove" its files
    > simply deleted them and that your USB external HD is still FAT32
    formatted.

    Yes -- I have a drive-scanner program with a "Remove" option when you
    right-click any portion of the pie-graph -- it apparently deletes them,
    nothing to do with the file system.

    > I'm not clear about your question as to whether "change(ing) the format
    (of
    > that external drive) would ... do any good ... for cloning". If you clone
    > the contents of your internal drive to the external one, the external
    > (destination) drive will contain the same file system of the source disk.
    Is
    > that what you're asking?

    Yes, my internal drive is also 80GB but is NTSF, with WINXP OEM, and
    contains a volume way over 32GB. Wouldn't it be necessary to change the
    FAT32 External Drive to NTSF to clone an exact image rather than copy/move
    things over as I have been doing (using a backup application.)

    > I don't think there's any particular significance as it relates to the
    file
    > system of your external drive, with one exception. If you're going to be
    > using that drive in a Win9x/Me environment, e.g., backing up files from
    one
    > or more of those operating systems, then it would be necessary for the
    > external drive to be FAT32 formatted since those operating systems can
    "see"
    > only FAT32 partitions.
    > Anna

    I wil not be working with WIN9X/ME at all. The ideal would be a mirror image
    clone of my internal HDD.

    Thanks, Pflueger

    > Anna, For sake of simplicity please follow the edited thread below:>
    >>
    >> Pflueger:
    >> As Rick points out, WinXP does not provide the capability to format a
    >> partition in FAT32 > 32 GB; however, there is a simple program (Linux
    >> developed) that allows a user to do so within the XP environment. If
    > you're
    >> interested, so indicate and I'll furnish the details.
    >

    > I was wondering if it would be possible to change the format from FAT32 to
    > NTSF on that external drive.
    >

    >> I assume from your remarks that the program you used to "remove" its
    >> files
    >> simply deleted them and that your USB external HD is still FAT32
    > formatted.
    >
    > Yes -- I have a drive-scanner program with a "Remove" option when you
    > right-click any portion of the pie-graph -- it apparently deletes them,
    > nothing to do with the file system.
    >

    >> I'm not clear about your question as to whether "change(ing) the format
    > (of
    >> that external drive) would ... do any good ... for cloning". If you clone
    >> the contents of your internal drive to the external one, the external
    >> (destination) drive will contain the same file system of the source disk.
    > Is
    >> that what you're asking?
    >

    > Yes, my internal drive is also 80GB but is NTSF, with WINXP OEM, and
    > contains a volume way over 32GB. Wouldn't it be necessary to change the
    > FAT32 External Drive to NTSF to clone an exact image rather than copy/move
    > things over as I have been doing (using a backup application.)
    >

    >> I don't think there's any particular significance as it relates to the
    > file
    >> system of your external drive, with one exception. If you're going to be
    >> using that drive in a Win9x/Me environment, e.g., backing up files from
    > one
    >> or more of those operating systems, then it would be necessary for the
    >> external drive to be FAT32 formatted since those operating systems can
    > "see"
    >> only FAT32 partitions.
    >> Anna
    >
    > I wil not be working with WIN9X/ME at all. The ideal would be a mirror
    > image
    > clone of my internal HDD.
    >
    > Thanks, Pflueger

    Plueger:
    As I explained above, if you use a disk imaging program, e.g., Symantec's
    Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, to clone the contents of your internal
    drive to the external one, the external drive will then be (for all
    practical purposes) a bit-for-bit copy of your internal (source) drive. As
    such, whatever the file system is on the source disk will now be on the
    destination drive regardless of what file system was previously used on that
    destination disk. So if your internal drive is NTFS formatted and your
    external drive is *presently* FAT32 formatted, after the cloning operation
    the external drive will contain the NTFS file system. There is *no* need to
    modify the file system on your external drive *prior* to the cloning
    process.
    Anna

External Hard Drive Windows XP