Immediate help, Screen never turns on PCV-W30

Within the last 5 minutes the screen on the sony vaio pcv w30 flickered and
turned black, but the pc remained on. I turned off the pc and tried turning
it back on and the screen continues to stay black. This computer is
relatively new, no more than 2 years and if you know about the sony vaio pcv
w30 you know that the monitor/keyboard/tower are all built into one piece. If
you have any idea of what the problem could be all help would be appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about immediate help screen turns

    "InTheZoneAC" <InTheZoneAC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Within the last 5 minutes the screen on the sony vaio pcv w30 flickered
    and
    | turned black, but the pc remained on. I turned off the pc and tried
    turning
    | it back on and the screen continues to stay black. This computer is
    | relatively new, no more than 2 years and if you know about the sony vaio
    pcv
    | w30 you know that the monitor/keyboard/tower are all built into one piece.
    If
    | you have any idea of what the problem could be all help would be
    appreciated.

    As the display in that computer is an LCD it sounds as if the back light
    and/or the inverter has failed. One way to determine if this is the case is
    to angle a flashlight at the screen. If you can see a faint image of the
    desktop then above is most likely.

    If no image at all is visible then the display adapter may be the culprit.

    --
    Doug

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:

    > "InTheZoneAC" <InTheZoneAC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Within the last 5 minutes the screen on the sony vaio pcv w30 flickered
    > and
    > | turned black, but the pc remained on. I turned off the pc and tried
    > turning
    > | it back on and the screen continues to stay black. This computer is
    > | relatively new, no more than 2 years and if you know about the sony vaio
    > pcv
    > | w30 you know that the monitor/keyboard/tower are all built into one piece.
    > If
    > | you have any idea of what the problem could be all help would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > As the display in that computer is an LCD it sounds as if the back light
    > and/or the inverter has failed. One way to determine if this is the case is
    > to angle a flashlight at the screen. If you can see a faint image of the
    > desktop then above is most likely.
    >
    > If no image at all is visible then the display adapter may be the culprit.
    >
    > --
    > Doug
    >
    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    > advice herein.
    > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > Your mileage may vary.
    > See store for details. :)
    >
    > Remove shoes to E-mail.

    I posted this in another section. I mentioned that I can barely see the
    image with a flashlight, so does that mean the backlight or inverter is
    messed up? Could you give me a rough estimate to how much that would cost? We
    got the pc brand new in october 2003. I'll have to check to see if it's still
    covered by the warranty. Thanks for the help

    --response inline--

    | "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:
    |
    | > "InTheZoneAC" <InTheZoneAC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | Within the last 5 minutes the screen on the sony vaio pcv w30
    flickered
    | > and
    | > | turned black, but the pc remained on. I turned off the pc and tried
    | > turning
    | > | it back on and the screen continues to stay black. This computer is
    | > | relatively new, no more than 2 years and if you know about the sony
    vaio
    | > pcv
    | > | w30 you know that the monitor/keyboard/tower are all built into one
    piece.
    | > If
    | > | you have any idea of what the problem could be all help would be
    | > appreciated.
    | >
    | > As the display in that computer is an LCD it sounds as if the back light
    | > and/or the inverter has failed. One way to determine if this is the case
    is
    | > to angle a flashlight at the screen. If you can see a faint image of the
    | > desktop then above is most likely.
    | >
    | > If no image at all is visible then the display adapter may be the
    culprit.

    | > --
    | > Doug
    | >
    | > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    | > I was just trying to help.
    | > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    | > advice herein.
    | > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    | > Your mileage may vary.
    | > See store for details. :)
    | >
    | > Remove shoes to E-mail.
    | >

    | I posted this in another section. I mentioned that I can barely see the
    | image with a flashlight, so does that mean the backlight or inverter is
    | messed up?

    Yes it does.

    |Could you give me a rough estimate to how much that would cost?

    I'm sorry I have no idea. You'll have to check with a Sony authorized repair
    center if not under warranty I'm sure as the unit is highly proprietary.

    |We
    | got the pc brand new in october 2003. I'll have to check to see if it's
    still
    | covered by the warranty. Thanks for the help

    --
    Doug

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.