How do you arrange friendlies for the national squad?

I love CM 01/02 and it's the only CM I play and when managing a club
whenever you got a half a dozen days free you can always squeeze in a
friendly in there and give your less used players some playing minutes.

But when managing a national squad it seems you can't arrange
friendlies and therefore can only play around 6 games a year which is
tremendously boring since you have nothing to do between all those long
months unless I'm missing something.

André

On 2 Sep 2005 09:11:24 -0700, homem-da-natureza@hotmail.com wrote:

>I love CM 01/02 and it's the only CM I play and when managing a club
>whenever you got a half a dozen days free you can always squeeze in a
>friendly in there and give your less used players some playing minutes.
>
>But when managing a national squad it seems you can't arrange
>friendlies and therefore can only play around 6 games a year which is
>tremendously boring since you have nothing to do between all those long
>months unless I'm missing something.
>

>André

International friendlies are being arranged by the F.A. So no, if
you're managing a national team you can't arrange friendly games.

-Nick

"Nick the Greek" <nikko_NOSPAM_@in.gr> wrote in message
> On 2 Sep 2005 09:11:24 -0700, homem-da-natureza@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>I love CM 01/02 and it's the only CM I play and when managing a club
>>whenever you got a half a dozen days free you can always squeeze in a
>>friendly in there and give your less used players some playing minutes.
>>
>>But when managing a national squad it seems you can't arrange
>>friendlies and therefore can only play around 6 games a year which is
>>tremendously boring since you have nothing to do between all those long
>>months unless I'm missing something.

While giving managers complete control wouldn't be realistic. It'd be nice
to be able to get some input. Asking for a friendly on a certain date, or
asking to have one arranged with a certain other nation when it's
convienian, asking for more or less or to avoid certain dates, etc.. It'd
also be nice if the friendlies seemed a little less random.

It's something that could be pushed a little bit from reality for the sake
of the game (like they made jobless human managers more likely to get a job
then an AI manager with the same stature), but there will always have to be
some restraints for gameplay reasons as well as realism. If your playing
with other human players not managing national teams having too many
friendlies will mess them up. But I don't see why they couldn't at least
squeeze in a few B internationals (does anyone ever do them them in real
life anymore?).

Of course they do allow one thing that doesn't actually happen so much in
real life. Letting managers look after a national team as well as a club
team. I've never seen anyone complain that I can't look after both jobs at
once when I've done it and as far as I can tell it could go on indefinetly.
So that is perhaps an option for the time being.

Perhaps in the next FM they should put in an "International" game mode,
where all domestic leagues are turned off and all calculations done with
domestic teams are done in the fastest possible way. Also with the game
skipping a week at a time when no internations are due within the next 2
weeks. That would be pretty interesting, providing the downgraded club
engine doesn't mess up player development.

--
Fil