Memory Speed Question

According to CPU-Z the memory in my 8400 is DDR2-SDRAM PC3200, but
only 200 MHz! I thought it was supposed to be 400 MHz for PC3200. Is
that typically correct? Anyone know of a utility other than CPU-Z I
could use to check the speed of my memory? Thanks.

Mike
7 answers Last reply
More about memory speed question

    "Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
    > According to CPU-Z the memory in my 8400 is DDR2-SDRAM PC3200, but
    > only 200 MHz! I thought it was supposed to be 400 MHz for PC3200. Is
    > that typically correct? Anyone know of a utility other than CPU-Z I
    > could use to check the speed of my memory? Thanks.
    >
    > Mike

    http://www.ddrsdrammemory.com/which_ddr_ram.html

    SteveR

    Mike wrote:

    > According to CPU-Z the memory in my 8400 is DDR2-SDRAM PC3200, but
    > only 200 MHz! I thought it was supposed to be 400 MHz for PC3200. Is
    > that typically correct? Anyone know of a utility other than CPU-Z I
    > could use to check the speed of my memory? Thanks.
    >
    > Mike

    DDR memory must be installed in pairs to run in dual data rate. The
    single data rate for PC3200 is 200MHz, most likely you have only one
    stick. Fortunately, RAM is simple to install (but read a quick guide
    online anyway), and PC3200 can generally be had pretty cheap these days.

    SteveR wrote:
    > "Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>According to CPU-Z the memory in my 8400 is DDR2-SDRAM PC3200, but
    >>only 200 MHz! I thought it was supposed to be 400 MHz for PC3200. Is
    >>that typically correct? Anyone know of a utility other than CPU-Z I
    >>could use to check the speed of my memory? Thanks.
    >>
    >>Mike
    >

    > http://www.ddrsdrammemory.com/which_ddr_ram.html

    How old is that info?

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:56:58 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
    <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

    >DDR memory must be installed in pairs to run in dual data rate. The
    >single data rate for PC3200 is 200MHz, most likely you have only one
    >stick. Fortunately, RAM is simple to install (but read a quick guide
    >online anyway), and PC3200 can generally be had pretty cheap these days.

    I have 2 sticks of 512 Megs. I checked under the hood to make sure
    both were there and System Properties (right clicking My Computer |
    Properties shows I have 1 Gig or RAM as I should. Thanks for the
    info.

    Mike

    Mike wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:56:58 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
    > <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>DDR memory must be installed in pairs to run in dual data rate. The
    >>single data rate for PC3200 is 200MHz, most likely you have only one
    >>stick. Fortunately, RAM is simple to install (but read a quick guide
    >>online anyway), and PC3200 can generally be had pretty cheap these days.
    >

    > I have 2 sticks of 512 Megs. I checked under the hood to make sure
    > both were there and System Properties (right clicking My Computer |
    > Properties shows I have 1 Gig or RAM as I should. Thanks for the
    > info.
    >
    > Mike

    I just checked cpu-z, and my 2x512MB sticks are listed as 200MHz (well
    204, which my FSB is set at) as well. The key thing to notice though is
    # of Channels, as long as it says dual you're running at 400MHz.

    Not true. DDR is DDR. It does not matter whether it is a single stick or
    not. PC3200 is 200Mhz DDR (400Mhz effective) as long as the system supports
    that speed. DDR must be installed in identical pairs (in slots 1&3 or 2&4
    for P4 and 1&2 or 3&4 for Athlon 64) for Dual Channel to work though.

    Tweek wrote:

    > Not true. DDR is DDR. It does not matter whether it is a single stick or
    > not. PC3200 is 200Mhz DDR (400Mhz effective) as long as the system supports
    > that speed. DDR must be installed in identical pairs (in slots 1&3 or 2&4
    > for P4 and 1&2 or 3&4 for Athlon 64) for Dual Channel to work though.

    I apologize if it was unclear to you, but that's what I was trying to
    get across. You need two PC3200 DIMM's to get the avertised 400MHz
    rate, if you only have one stick you're limited to 200MHz (obviously
    assuming your mobo supports it). Also be sure to read your
    motherboard's manual before installing RAM; my buddy picked up a Pentium
    4 mobo over the weekend which supports DDR (must be in slots 1&2) & DDR2
    (must be in slots 3&4) -- note that's the slot setup you listed for AMD.

    > "Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mike wrote:
    >>

    >>>According to CPU-Z the memory in my 8400 is DDR2-SDRAM PC3200, but
    >>>only 200 MHz! I thought it was supposed to be 400 MHz for PC3200. Is
    >>>that typically correct? Anyone know of a utility other than CPU-Z I
    >>>could use to check the speed of my memory? Thanks.
    >>>
    >>>Mike
    >>
    >>DDR memory must be installed in pairs to run in dual data rate. The
    >>single data rate for PC3200 is 200MHz, most likely you have only one
    >>stick. Fortunately, RAM is simple to install (but read a quick guide
    >>online anyway), and PC3200 can generally be had pretty cheap these days.

Dell Memory CPUs Computers