Extend Range of Netgear MR314

I need to extend the range of my Netgear MR314 to get a better wireless
connection towards the front of my house. The router is in my office
towards the back of the house where I can monitor the lights and prefer not
to relocate it. Would also prefer to not buy a new router - an easy "cheap"
fix would be great.

Has anyone in the group extended the wireless range with a new antenna, and
if so, what did you use and how'd you do it?

Thanks-
2 answers Last reply
More about extend range netgear mr314

    Tom,

    If I'm not mistaken, your Netgear box has a detatchable antenna? If
    so, you might benefit by replacing it with an Omni gain antenna. I
    bought one of these 5.5 dBi antenna's from Pac Wireless:

    http://www.pacwireless.com/products/PAWIN24-5RD.shtml

    I saw an improvement from an access point that went from a 6 to a 19
    RSSI. About $25 with shipping.

    Failing that idea, D-Link has some AP boxes that can be configured as
    repeaters. I think the DWL-900AP+ can be had for around $40. Then
    there's the DWL-2100AP. More money, but many more modes of operation.

    Chet

    Thanks Chet.
    That's exactly the type of response I wanted since I have no idea of where
    to go with this.

    Have a good one,

    - Tom C.

    "Chester Field" <cf90245@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Tom,
    >
    > If I'm not mistaken, your Netgear box has a detatchable antenna? If
    > so, you might benefit by replacing it with an Omni gain antenna. I
    > bought one of these 5.5 dBi antenna's from Pac Wireless:
    >
    > http://www.pacwireless.com/products/PAWIN24-5RD.shtml
    >
    > I saw an improvement from an access point that went from a 6 to a 19
    > RSSI. About $25 with shipping.
    >
    > Failing that idea, D-Link has some AP boxes that can be configured as
    > repeaters. I think the DWL-900AP+ can be had for around $40. Then
    > there's the DWL-2100AP. More money, but many more modes of operation.
    >
    > Chet

Wireless Routers Netgear Wireless Networking