Extend Range of Netgear MR314

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 29, 2004 1:35:06 PM

I need to extend the range of my Netgear MR314 to get a better wireless
connection towards the front of my house. The router is in my office
towards the back of the house where I can monitor the lights and prefer not
to relocate it. Would also prefer to not buy a new router - an easy "cheap"
fix would be great.

Has anyone in the group extended the wireless range with a new antenna, and
if so, what did you use and how'd you do it?

Thanks-
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 30, 2004 6:08:56 AM

Tom,

If I'm not mistaken, your Netgear box has a detatchable antenna? If
so, you might benefit by replacing it with an Omni gain antenna. I
bought one of these 5.5 dBi antenna's from Pac Wireless:

http://www.pacwireless.com/products/PAWIN24-5RD.shtml

I saw an improvement from an access point that went from a 6 to a 19
RSSI. About $25 with shipping.

Failing that idea, D-Link has some AP boxes that can be configured as
repeaters. I think the DWL-900AP+ can be had for around $40. Then
there's the DWL-2100AP. More money, but many more modes of operation.

Chet
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 30, 2004 11:48:19 AM

Thanks Chet.
That's exactly the type of response I wanted since I have no idea of where
to go with this.

Have a good one,

- Tom C.

!