Explorer.exe PROBLEM!!! HELP!

Windows XP Home edition starts up fine. However, once in windows, all the
desktop icons randomly disappear and reappear leaving only the background.
In the task manager, explorer.exe disappears and reappears randomly...and I
know this is what is causing the icons to act up. HOW DO I FIX THIS
PROBLEM?!?!?!? HOW CAN I KEEP EXPLORER.EXE IN THE TASK MANAGER RUNNING? I
NEED TO KNOW ASAP!

Have you tried a scan for virus or adware?

Otherwsie I'd suggest trying to look at the event log.

Choose
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Event viewer
Application

Look for errors or warnings.

Could also be that your icon cache needs a rebuild.

matt

STACIE wrote:
> Windows XP Home edition starts up fine. However, once in windows, all the
> desktop icons randomly disappear and reappear leaving only the background.
> In the task manager, explorer.exe disappears and reappears randomly...and I
> know this is what is causing the icons to act up. HOW DO I FIX THIS
> PROBLEM?!?!?!? HOW CAN I KEEP EXPLORER.EXE IN THE TASK MANAGER RUNNING? I
> NEED TO KNOW ASAP!

Do you have a virus scanner handy? I reccomend Nod32
(http://www.eset.com/) Problem could also be spyware related
(http://www.lavasoft.com/) If you cannot install them, because of the
problem, can you boot into safe mode? If so you should be able to
install NOD there, you may have to find another PC to download it with,
and save it to a CD-R