reformatting-how to backup programs?

i am just about to reformat my hard drive and im not sure how to back up
certain programs w/o backing up the whole system. i only want specific
programs, i am trying to dump all kinds of junk off my system.....can i do
this?

"jkapala" wrote:

> i am just about to reformat my hard drive and im not sure how to back up
> certain programs w/o backing up the whole system. i only want specific
> programs, i am trying to dump all kinds of junk off my system.....can i do
> this?

In general you should never back up programs with the intention of
re-installing them from the backup.

Backup data only - install programs from the installation media. The main
reason for this is all the registry entries which need to be created and the
registration of components on your computer.

Hi

It would nearly impossible to backup porgrams as certain entries may have
been made in the Registry. You will either have to image the whole hard
drive or reinstall the programs after the reformat. Have you thought about
trying a 'Repair' install of XP, which will retain your data files, programs
and settings?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User