Radon for gameing?

G

I would like to spend the least I can ona graphics card, around the £200 range. THe radon with 64mb is about the price of a GF2 32mb, is the radon faster in comparism.

I don't realy see the point in spending loads for GF2u or little for the grappy performance of GF2mx.

Is the radon worth it, it is way cheaper andin 32bit is supost to be pretty good

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
From what I have heard, the Radeon doesn't compare to the GF2 GTS cards as far as pure speed and performance. It does supposedly make things look really nice using its fancy features. I have an Asus V7700 deluxe with video in/out. It rocks in my opinion and it only cost me like $223. I am not sure on the currency conversion. I agree that the ultra is not worth double the price at this point. I say go GF2 GTS. From what I have seen, the 64meg RAM doesn't really buy you much unless you are running super high resolution.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

G

IS that a GF2 with 32mb or 64mb, cause I will proberly running high res. like 1200*1024 or higher if I can.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I agree, GeForce2 is definitely better for gaming.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://zidane222.cjb.net" target="_new">http://zidane222.cjb.net</A></b>

G

Yes, but wouldn't you rather get 45 fps for the same money? =)

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ATI is full of "supposed to be"s. They don't support their cards they issue even though they promise to. They are good for 2d cards for OEM applications, but for gaming, forget them. I will get trounced upon by Radeon owners claiming this or that, but just ask them to come back in 4 months and see if ATI has issued their "new" drivers to support this or that game yet. The answer is NO. Stick with Nvidia or VooDoo5 to get gaming support. My $.02. Take-Out. GOOD LUCK. PS: I am seriously looking at the GF orig DDR model for upgrade from a TNT2, check out the graphs here and elsewhere for differences to the GF 2 DDR 32meg. Only about 20 to 28% I can see. Sunway has a Leadtek Winfast GF DDR 32 for about $137 + shipping, sounds good, HUH?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 12/03/00 03:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your a complete... Genius LOL I have to totally agree with you, no kidding. I bought two ATI AIW Radeon 32MB DDR cards and they totally sucked. Over 16 hours of wasted time configuring and tech support etc. The cards come with Win2k drivers and they dont work for [-peep-]. Games dont work. TV out doesnt work right. Games too dark. Glide doesnt work. DVD which is hardware doesnt work properly (Stuttering etc.). The cards are very very expensive TV Tuners that is about it. Maybe the work with other OS I dont know. I bought them becuase they shipped with win2k drivers and therefore they should work. Returned those pieces of [-peep-] and got myself a V5 5500. Yep, it is slower but I have found that to this date no video card makers supports more games right out of the box than 3DFX. 3DFX gets my money for the next 6 months to a year for that alone. I cannot say enought about how much I hate these god damned [-peep-] cock sucking bastard ass licking anal [-peep-] companies that [-peep-] the consumer and rely on them for solving and reporting problems with their cards. I would just like to say to ATI from all us consumers out there a whole hearted [-peep-] YOU ASSHOLES!

G

LOL. Do you know what you are talking about?
Glide is a proprietary API. ONLY 3DFX cards can use glide.
Bet you feel stupid. Sorry, didnt know what hit me there. I had a bad day today
:)

Oh yeah, don’t ask anyone on this forum anything. Instead, read Tom’s Radeon review.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iLowRider on 12/03/00 10:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your wrong about that Glide issue. ATI Radeon supports Glide but it doesnt work in win2k anyhow. Once more [-peep-] You ATI

G

First of all, Radon is not good for you, much less good for gaming. OK, sorry, I couldn't help myself. :]

Take Out, I do agree with you about GeForce256 DDR. All of Tom's reports show that the GeForce2 GTS (but not the Pro or Ultra) is hampered by its graphics memory bandwidth. So why pay twice as much as a GeForce256 for only 10%-20% performance gain?

I'm waiting for the GeForce256 price to drop a little more in January/Feb after the Christmas shopping rush. I just hope that enough GeForce256 cards will remain by then.

G

It's funny how everyone is slating the Raedon but look where we are at now in terms of graphics power. 1600 * 1200 *32 bit colour and if it doesn't quite to 30fps we slate it. Nice world this one I reckon. Those scores are only with 1Ghz + CPU's though folks and not many people have those yet eh? I bet a Raedon MAXX would be cool eh ATI? I don't think any sane person spends £500 on a Graphics card though, you can get massive gains from more RAM, SCSI hard drives, etc

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree Craig, that the newer standards are a little high for the vast majority of us with only a "19 monitor and a PIII 450 @ 558mhz and 128meg PC133 (mine for example), but I do play online at 1200 res and get about 40 fps in Half-Life at 32 bit color. Anything above that and I wouldn't be able to read those little messages from the other people. I use a TNT2Ultra Xentor something or other and am seriouly looking at the Leadtek GF Rev.2 DDR, it even has an extra big heatsink and fan (I yam am Overclocker).
By the way, the command line for Half-Life to use 32 bit color (after reboot) is -32bpp and add -numericping and -nojoy and if you use 128meg RAM, add -heapsize 80000 and -zone 4000. The kindly Atony (sp) is who to thank for the
-32bpp. You enter these after the game line in the icon properties, and you should add -console if you haven't got it already. There is a space tween the line commands, eg, -console -bpp -heapsize 80000 -zone 4000 etc.
Oh well, I do go on , huh? Good Luck, Take-Out

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Radeon is fine for gaming and the image quality is superb. I've never had any real issues to deal with.

It looks great and plays smooth. Pure raw speed isn't everything.

G

get a GF2 GTS. that's all.
ATI's driver like a piece of...... <-- fill in any dirty words as you like.

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>