nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My networked pc has been working fine for years , but ever since we had a
thunder storm and we lost all power to the house and computers the
networked pc has not been able to connect to the internet.
I know the network cards and cable is ok as I can connect to the remote pc
from the master pc and browse files etc.
I have tried disabling the firewalls on both pc's but this still does not
work.
The master computer has no problem accessing the internet.

I would try a Repair, or Upgrade setup of XP.
If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install.
Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"nick" <madmurg@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:42c7a003$0$19726$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> My networked pc has been working fine for years , but ever since we had a
> thunder storm and we lost all power to the house and computers the
> networked pc has not been able to connect to the internet.
> I know the network cards and cable is ok as I can connect to the remote pc
> from the master pc and browse files etc.
> I have tried disabling the firewalls on both pc's but this still does not
> work.
> The master computer has no problem accessing the internet.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

How did the machine connect to the Internet? ICS via the other PC? Both
connect to a broadband router?

I wouldn't rush into a repair reinstall quite yet. If certain there is no
hardware issue, the symptoms you describe (local network but no Internet
connectivity) can often be resolved by repair of the Layered Service
Provider / Winsock components.

Native XP (SP2 version) command >netsh winsock reset catalog (Pre
SP2 - netsh int ip reset c:\TCP-ResetLog.txt)
LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
WinSock XP Fix http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
--

"nick" <madmurg@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> My networked pc has been working fine for years , but ever since we had a
> thunder storm and we lost all power to the house and computers the
> networked pc has not been able to connect to the internet.
> I know the network cards and cable is ok as I can connect to the remote pc
> from the master pc and browse files etc.
> I have tried disabling the firewalls on both pc's but this still does not
> work.
> The master computer has no problem accessing the internet.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The slave pc connects to the master pc via cat5 and network cards