serious problem (Regedit) no logon screen

Hi:
i'm using Window Xp Pro, i just did a dum thing. i back up the Window
Registry before. and 3 days ago i import the back up from Registry Editor,
then restar my computer. after that i can't logon to my computer anymore. i
try go repair mode by press "F8" and chose every mode, doesn't work then,
i try the to repair it by insert my xp disk and did the repair but doesn't
work too, i just can't go to logon screen. i just have 1 partition on my pc,
and don't know how to install multiple OS and still keep the document,

please help!!

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

Hi Jovi,
I am not to sure I understand what you have done here! It sounds as if you
backed up the system registry with regedit and then a few days later you
reset the registry by importing the backup into regedit and that to be
honest should have been fine. You have now done so many things to Windows XP
that a fresh install will probably be needed. You can use the following to
make a parallel Windows XP install

Boot your machine from the XP CD
Follow the install wizard
When you get to the point where it asks if you want to do an update install
or a completely new install-choose the New option. It will recognise you
will over write whats on the hard drive, but will ask you if you want to use
C:\windows as your install path. At that point type in something like
C:\winXP so you don't overwrite your previous install.
continue with the installation.Now when XP tells you the installation is
complete, restart the system. You
will see that XP recognises that two version are present and allows you to
select which one to load.
Unfortunately both versions have the same name, but generally the most
recent install is listed first. So select the first
install in the list and press enter. With any luck windows will now run
correctly. Your data from the damaged installation can be transfered
to the new install. Finally just delete the bad installation from
c:\windows. You can also delete the old Windows install from the boot.ini
file

Hope that helps

Chelsea

Dear Chelsea:

!!!!!many thanks for your help!!!!!

Best Regards
Jovi

"Chelsea" wrote:

> Hi Jovi,
> I am not to sure I understand what you have done here! It sounds as if you
> backed up the system registry with regedit and then a few days later you
> reset the registry by importing the backup into regedit and that to be
> honest should have been fine. You have now done so many things to Windows XP
> that a fresh install will probably be needed. You can use the following to
> make a parallel Windows XP install
>
> Boot your machine from the XP CD
> Follow the install wizard
> When you get to the point where it asks if you want to do an update install
> or a completely new install-choose the New option. It will recognise you
> will over write whats on the hard drive, but will ask you if you want to use
> C:\windows as your install path. At that point type in something like
> C:\winXP so you don't overwrite your previous install.
> continue with the installation.Now when XP tells you the installation is
> complete, restart the system. You
> will see that XP recognises that two version are present and allows you to
> select which one to load.
> Unfortunately both versions have the same name, but generally the most
> recent install is listed first. So select the first
> install in the list and press enter. With any luck windows will now run
> correctly. Your data from the damaged installation can be transfered
> to the new install. Finally just delete the bad installation from
> c:\windows. You can also delete the old Windows install from the boot.ini
> file
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Chelsea

Dear Chelsea:

Do i need to reinstall all the software again. cause i can't use any of them.
please tell me how if i don't need to....

Best Regards
Jovi

"Chelsea" wrote:

> Hi Jovi,
> I am not to sure I understand what you have done here! It sounds as if you
> backed up the system registry with regedit and then a few days later you
> reset the registry by importing the backup into regedit and that to be
> honest should have been fine. You have now done so many things to Windows XP
> that a fresh install will probably be needed. You can use the following to
> make a parallel Windows XP install
>
> Boot your machine from the XP CD
> Follow the install wizard
> When you get to the point where it asks if you want to do an update install
> or a completely new install-choose the New option. It will recognise you
> will over write whats on the hard drive, but will ask you if you want to use
> C:\windows as your install path. At that point type in something like
> C:\winXP so you don't overwrite your previous install.
> continue with the installation.Now when XP tells you the installation is
> complete, restart the system. You
> will see that XP recognises that two version are present and allows you to
> select which one to load.
> Unfortunately both versions have the same name, but generally the most
> recent install is listed first. So select the first
> install in the list and press enter. With any luck windows will now run
> correctly. Your data from the damaged installation can be transfered
> to the new install. Finally just delete the bad installation from
> c:\windows. You can also delete the old Windows install from the boot.ini
> file
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Chelsea

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

Hi Jovi,
Yes you will have to reinstall all your software again. The files are still
on your hard disk, but your new registry knows nothing about them. Just
re-install over the existing files. You will also need to re-install any
hardware drivers. Parallel instals are really to safeguard important data
files. Best of luck.

Chelsea