Sign in with
Your question

[Solved] Windows 8 Installation Error

Last response: in Windows 8
September 2, 2012 8:05:45 PM

Hi all,

I'm at my parents for Labor day and I'm trying to upgrade their laptop,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+15.6%26%2334%3B+Lapt...;jsessionid=A2692C315748BECC95BBC0C4FFD3C565.bbolsp-app04-04?id=1218627593638&skuId=5218611&st=asus%204gb&cp=1&lp=6

to Windows 8. I've have no problems with my desktops in the past and I'm using the same disc, however, I'm getting a "No device drivers were found." error each time I try to load the install disc. I've read other forums and topics and haven't found any solution that would help me. The BIOS of course is very limited and the only conceivable option I can see is to be able to switch the IDE or AHCI mode, both of which I've tried and resulted in the same conclusion. Any thoughts?
September 2, 2012 8:40:12 PM

Bit of an update, I updated the BIOS to the most recent update and was able to get past the error, however, now when I type in the serial that is on the Microsoft's download page, it says, "We couldn't verify the product key. Please check your installation media." I'm certain I typed it in correctly and it's the same one that I've used in the past.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 2, 2012 8:44:16 PM

Go here and grab a couple of drivers: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/X54...

You may need them for Windows 8 to see your drives (though I'm surprised it can't see them out of the box. Win 8's driver support is just as good as Win 7's was...)

Also, if you are installing Win 8 via a USB stick, make sure you do not have it plugged into the USB 3.0 port on your laptop. the USB 3 controller can boot devices, but Windows will not be able to see any hard disks. You must plug it into a USB 2.0 port for it to work. This will change over time as Intel begins natively including USB 3.0 support on all of their newer chipsets, but that laptop has an ASMedia USB 3.0 controller, not Intel.
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
September 2, 2012 8:46:48 PM

Ok... scratch my last post. Odd that it doesn't like the product key though. Bit of a shot in the dark, but perhaps try plugging in a network cable so it has internet access?

Also verify that you didn't type a zero in place of an O, or mix up eight and B. Easy to do and it's happened to everyone.
m
l
September 2, 2012 8:47:56 PM

I'm trying a second 8 disc I had with me, but if that fails, I'll try your idea of the network cable.
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:35:45 PM

Yep, that suggestion worked perfectly! Thank you
m
l
November 6, 2012 3:06:02 PM

Wixdfast2 said:
Bit of an update, I updated the BIOS to the most recent update and was able to get past the error, however, now when I type in the serial that is on the Microsoft's download page, it says, "We couldn't verify the product key. Please check your installation media." I'm certain I typed it in correctly and it's the same one that I've used in the past.

i had the same problem and now i know the solve

you ejected the installtion disck to read the product key

thats why you got this message

write down your product key over paper and restart computer and installtion and never eject cd and enter ur product key when prompt and it will get accepted

try it and see ;) 
m
l
!