Atari Regulator II boards frying?

Three of these have zapped on me, in three different cabs. All three started
to burn at R29. Is this a known issue? What is the major malfunction? Right
now from the schematics, all I can figure is a bad voltage regulator, or one
of the 3300uf caps are dried up.

Anyone run across this before? I'm thinking of re-parting the entire boards,
but I'd like to know if there is a common reason behind the troubles.

Also, if you return/sense 5v does not return back to the regulator
board, the board will keep upping the 5v output until it blows. I had
a friend that had a problem with a poleposition machine. He knew
knothing about arcade machines but started playing with the edge
connectors. He left the edge connector off the pcb and turned the
machine on. Boom went the Regulator board. That resistor is usually a
sure sign. Make sure the sense 5v is getting back to the regulator
board.

Don
NJ

bad edge connector on main pcbs or bad harness pins to the pcb!!! if you
are using the same mainboard pcb in 3 different cabs then most likely have
bad edge connector on that pcb! i believe it's actually the grounding pins
that cause that since they get hot and roll up from the board itself
sometimes!

hope that helps,
Kelly

"Tony Tumminaro" <TonyTumminaro@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Three of these have zapped on me, in three different cabs. All three
> started to burn at R29. Is this a known issue? What is the major
> malfunction? Right now from the schematics, all I can figure is a bad
> voltage regulator, or one of the 3300uf caps are dried up.
>
> Anyone run across this before? I'm thinking of re-parting the entire
> boards, but I'd like to know if there is a common reason behind the
> troubles.

I think the closed-loop voltage correction circuit in the A/R-II should
make the list of world's worst engineering decisions.. (Along with the
Space Shuttle, New Orleans levees, etc)

I can't believe they wouldn't think to limit the amount of "correction"
to some sane limit.. well below what would blow out chips!

Very helpful. All three boards show signs of this on the grounding edge, Ill
check to ensure its making proper contact after rebuilding.

Thanks!
Tony

"Kelly Ray" <kray37nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> bad edge connector on main pcbs or bad harness pins to the pcb!!! if you
> are using the same mainboard pcb in 3 different cabs then most likely have
> bad edge connector on that pcb! i believe it's actually the grounding
> pins that cause that since they get hot and roll up from the board itself
> sometimes!
>
> hope that helps,
> Kelly
>
> "Tony Tumminaro" <TonyTumminaro@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Three of these have zapped on me, in three different cabs. All three
>> started to burn at R29. Is this a known issue? What is the major
>> malfunction? Right now from the schematics, all I can figure is a bad
>> voltage regulator, or one of the 3300uf caps are dried up.
>>
>> Anyone run across this before? I'm thinking of re-parting the entire
>> boards, but I'd like to know if there is a common reason behind the
>> troubles.

Check the edge connector itself, too. I had one that killed a Tempest board:

http://www.sventech.com/~dereks/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core:ShowItem&g2_itemId=1692

On

2005-09-20 15:21:49 -0500, "Tony Tumminaro" <TonyTumminaro@comcast.net> said:

> Very helpful. All three boards show signs of this on the grounding
> edge, Ill check to ensure its making proper contact after rebuilding.
>

> Thanks!
> Tony
>
> "Kelly Ray" <kray37nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> bad edge connector on main pcbs or bad harness pins to the pcb!!! if
>> you are using the same mainboard pcb in 3 different cabs then most
>> likely have bad edge connector on that pcb! i believe it's actually
>> the grounding pins that cause that since they get hot and roll up from
>> the board itself sometimes!
>>
>> hope that helps,
>> Kelly
>>
>> "Tony Tumminaro" <TonyTumminaro@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Three of these have zapped on me, in three different cabs. All three
>>> started to burn at R29. Is this a known issue? What is the major
>>> malfunction? Right now from the schematics, all I can figure is a bad
>>> voltage regulator, or one of the 3300uf caps are dried up.
>>>
>>> Anyone run across this before? I'm thinking of re-parting the entire
>>> boards, but I'd like to know if there is a common reason behind the
>>> troubles.

http://www.stickycarpet.com/pinx/pp2page2.html

Here is the ARII mod you should do!

> Very helpful. All three boards show signs of this on the grounding edge,
> Ill check to ensure its making proper contact after rebuilding.
>

> Thanks!
> Tony
>
> "Kelly Ray" <kray37nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> bad edge connector on main pcbs or bad harness pins to the pcb!!! if
>> you are using the same mainboard pcb in 3 different cabs then most likely
>> have bad edge connector on that pcb! i believe it's actually the
>> grounding pins that cause that since they get hot and roll up from the
>> board itself sometimes!
>>
>> hope that helps,
>> Kelly
>>
>> "Tony Tumminaro" <TonyTumminaro@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Three of these have zapped on me, in three different cabs. All three
>>> started to burn at R29. Is this a known issue? What is the major
>>> malfunction? Right now from the schematics, all I can figure is a bad
>>> voltage regulator, or one of the 3300uf caps are dried up.
>>>
>>> Anyone run across this before? I'm thinking of re-parting the entire
>>> boards, but I'd like to know if there is a common reason behind the
>>> troubles.

Does this mod go for all ARII games? or just PP? anyone else do this mod?
"simon hanlon" <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> http://www.stickycarpet.com/pinx/pp2page2.html
>
> Here is the ARII mod you should do!
>
> "Tony Tumminaro" <TonyTumminaro@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Very helpful. All three boards show signs of this on the grounding edge,
>> Ill check to ensure its making proper contact after rebuilding.
>>

>> Thanks!
>> Tony
>>
>> "Kelly Ray" <kray37nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> bad edge connector on main pcbs or bad harness pins to the pcb!!! if
>>> you are using the same mainboard pcb in 3 different cabs then most
>>> likely have bad edge connector on that pcb! i believe it's actually the
>>> grounding pins that cause that since they get hot and roll up from the
>>> board itself sometimes!
>>>
>>> hope that helps,
>>> Kelly
>>>
>>> "Tony Tumminaro" <TonyTumminaro@comcast.net> wrote in message

It looks to be a fairly simple mod but I've never had the problem that
he mentioned.

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:03:47 -0700, "Bentley Bear"
<pmettes@435435453astound.net> wrote:

>Does this mod go for all ARII games? or just PP? anyone else do this mod?
>"simon hanlon" <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.stickycarpet.com/pinx/pp2page2.html
>>
>> Here is the ARII mod you should do!
>>
>> "Tony Tumminaro" <TonyTumminaro@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Very helpful. All three boards show signs of this on the grounding edge,
>>> Ill check to ensure its making proper contact after rebuilding.
>>>

>>> Thanks!
>>> Tony
>>>
>>> "Kelly Ray" <kray37nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message

Wow. My Dig Dug is working fine, but the possiblity that a future bad
connection in the sense lines could send the ARII into la-la-land is
making me seriously consider that simple modification...

PS- why do people call it an "ARII" board when Atari's schematics (at
least the Dig Dug schems I've got) refer to it as "Reg./Audio II PCB"?
Should it be an "RAII" board?

df

Any game that uses the voltage sense lines to regulate the voltage to the
board, all it takes is a bad connection at the pcb and bang goes your board!
Up to you but I would get rid of it and do the mod.
"Bentley Bear" <pmettes@435435453astound.net> wrote in message
> Does this mod go for all ARII games? or just PP? anyone else do this mod?
> "simon hanlon" <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.stickycarpet.com/pinx/pp2page2.html
>>
>> Here is the ARII mod you should do!
>>
>> "Tony Tumminaro" <TonyTumminaro@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Very helpful. All three boards show signs of this on the grounding edge,
>>> Ill check to ensure its making proper contact after rebuilding.
>>>

>>> Thanks!
>>> Tony
>>>
>>> "Kelly Ray" <kray37nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message

So far I've had this problem on a pole position, a millipede, and a dig dug.
Doing all three boards at the moment.

Thank you to all who replied on this one, great info to have learned.

"Bentley Bear" <pmettes@435435453astound.net> wrote in message
> Does this mod go for all ARII games? or just PP? anyone else do this mod?
> "simon hanlon" <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.stickycarpet.com/pinx/pp2page2.html
>>
>> Here is the ARII mod you should do!
>>
>> "Tony Tumminaro" <TonyTumminaro@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Very helpful. All three boards show signs of this on the grounding edge,
>>> Ill check to ensure its making proper contact after rebuilding.
>>>

>>> Thanks!
>>> Tony
>>>
>>> "Kelly Ray" <kray37nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message

WOW... the BZ i'm fixing is my first Atari cab that has needed work... I
hadn't realied that the circuit was that badly designed before (honestly, I
had looked at the circuit but never *thought* about it before... that'll
teach me...).

damn.. ok, first thing to do...

thanks alot for this all...

steve

> Any game that uses the voltage sense lines to regulate the voltage to the
> board, all it takes is a bad connection at the pcb and bang goes your
> board! Up to you but I would get rid of it and do the mod.
> "Bentley Bear" <pmettes@435435453astound.net> wrote in message
>> Does this mod go for all ARII games? or just PP? anyone else do this mod?
>> "simon hanlon" <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>> http://www.stickycarpet.com/pinx/pp2page2.html
>>>
>>> Here is the ARII mod you should do!
>>>
>>> "Tony Tumminaro" <TonyTumminaro@comcast.net> wrote in message

> WOW... the BZ i'm fixing is my first Atari cab that has needed work... I hadn't realied that the circuit was that badly designed
> before (honestly, I had looked at the circuit but never *thought* about it before... that'll teach me...).

It's not really *that* badly designed. Other than that one failure
mode, it's pretty decent given the cost/performance tradeoff that
they made. The Pole Position application was a complete mistake
however - those edge connectors were never rated to carry that
much current...

Alex
----
ayeckley@elektronforge.com
www.elektronforge.com

True, If it wasn't for the poor edge connectors it would be good. I guess to
be safe you could solder a decent 2 pin connector to the Game PCB and the AR
PCB and have a separate cable for the sense lines