Hi
I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system on my new
machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some of the works
programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and try to clone to an
external drive it goes ok but does not show up as a ghost image there fore
cannot restore on new machine partition running win 98. What am I doing
wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advanced for any help

Sue

sue Davies wrote:
> Hi
> I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system on
> my new machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some of
> the works programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and try
> to clone to an external drive it goes ok but does not show up as a
> ghost image there fore cannot restore on new machine partition
> running win 98. What am I doing wrong.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.
>
> Thanks in advanced for any help

You are asking on a Microsoft newsgroup for help with a Symantec product.
I suggest asking Symantec/Norton and/or reading the manual/PDFs on how to do
this.
Your explanation does not say where you are saving the image (external drive
as an image, network drive as an image, etc) anyway..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

You cannot clone Windows XP on one machine and then
install it on a different machine. The Ghost image is only
valid for the original machine.

Animated Shockwave Ghost tutorial with sound
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/ghost_2002/2001032917165825_s.html

How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2001032917165825

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"sue Davies" wrote:

| Hi
| I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system on my new
| machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some of the works
| programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and try to clone to an
| external drive it goes ok but does not show up as a ghost image there fore
| cannot restore on new machine partition running win 98. What am I doing
| wrong.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.
|
| Thanks in advanced for any help
|
| Sue

mark

> You cannot clone Windows XP on one machine and then
> install it on a different machine. The Ghost image is only
> valid for the original machine.
>
> Animated Shockwave Ghost tutorial with sound
> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/ghost_2002/2001032917165825_s.html
>
> How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2001032917165825
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "sue Davies" wrote:
>
> | Hi
> | I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system on my
> new
> | machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some of the works
> | programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and try to clone to an
> | external drive it goes ok but does not show up as a ghost image there
> fore
> | cannot restore on new machine partition running win 98. What am I doing
> | wrong.
> |
> | Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.
> |
> | Thanks in advanced for any help
> |
> | Sue

I beg to differ with you there...we do it all the time to roll out
workstations.

sue Davies wrote:
> I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system
> on my new machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some
> of the works programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and
> try to clone to an external drive it goes ok but does not show up
> as a ghost image there fore cannot restore on new machine partition
> running win 98. What am I doing wrong.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.
>
> Thanks in advanced for any help

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote

Mark wrote:
> I beg to differ with you there...we do it all the time to roll out
> workstations.

First - Carey is right (and wrong).. It depends on your situation and skill
level/available toolset.
You can (in generic terms) make a disk image of one Windows XP PC and apply
it to another in many cases - for example - using sysprep properly or if the
machine match in hardware close enough. You cannot make an image of a
Pentium II system and apply that image (without modification by anything) to
a Pentium IV system with different chipset/video/etc and *expect* it to work
without performing a repair installation at the very least.

In this case - we are talking making an image of Windows 98 - not XP - and
thus - you have none of these problems. Make your image and put it on
whatever - Windows 98 will attempt to load the correct drivers needed on the
first dozen or so boots it will take (depending on differences.)

To me - it sounds like Sue is attempting to do something that Sue may not
understand enough of to actually accomplish. She wants to make a machine a
dual boot system off of images.. not fresh installs - etc. One would
naturally assume then that Sue knows how to use Ghost to make an IMAGE of a
hard disk drive to file(s) on a network location or external drive so that
the image could then be applied to another partition elsewhere - but instead
of assuming - we have to wait on Sue to volunteer more information about..

What she has currently..
What she wants to have..
What she knows to do and what she is doing..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

anna

> First - Carey is right (and wrong).. It depends on your situation and
> skill level/available toolset.
> You can (in generic terms) make a disk image of one Windows XP PC and
> apply it to another in many cases - for example - using sysprep properly
> or if the machine match in hardware close enough. You cannot make an
> image of a Pentium II system and apply that image (without modification by
> anything) to a Pentium IV system with different chipset/video/etc and
> *expect* it to work without performing a repair installation at the very
> least.
>
> In this case - we are talking making an image of Windows 98 - not XP - and
> thus - you have none of these problems. Make your image and put it on
> whatever - Windows 98 will attempt to load the correct drivers needed on
> the first dozen or so boots it will take (depending on differences.)
>
> To me - it sounds like Sue is attempting to do something that Sue may not
> understand enough of to actually accomplish. She wants to make a machine
> a dual boot system off of images.. not fresh installs - etc. One would
> naturally assume then that Sue knows how to use Ghost to make an IMAGE of
> a hard disk drive to file(s) on a network location or external drive so
> that the image could then be applied to another partition elsewhere - but
> instead of assuming - we have to wait on Sue to volunteer more information
> about..
>
> What she has currently..
> What she wants to have..
> What she knows to do and what she is doing..
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan:
We are really making this more complicated than it needs to be. As I
understand it, Sue has two machines. On the "old" one she has a Windows 98
operating system, presumably single-partitioned. On the "new" one, which she
wants to multi-boot with XP & Win98, she has Windows XP presently installed
and a second partition that either contains a Windows 98 OS or was created
to hold that operating system. In either case it doesn't really matter in
this situation.

Sue also has a USB or Firewire external hard drive on which she attempted to
clone the contents of her "old" drive containing the Win98 OS using Ghost
2003. In this she was apparently unsuccessful for reasons that she doesn't
explain. I assume her objective was to re:clone the cloned contents of that
USB/Firewire EHD to the partition on the "new" machine designated to hold
the Win98 OS. Exactly why she's taking this route (assuming I correctly
understand her) is not clear, although it *is* viable.

Using Ghost 2003, she *can* clone the contents of her "old" machine, the one
with the Win98 OS, to her external HD and she *can* then re:clone the
contents of that drive to the Win98 (or empty) partition on the "new"
machine. Ghost 2003 has this capability.

Another approach, and the one I would generally use, is to remove the "old"
drive, install it in the "new" one and make the disk-to-disk (partition)
clone that way.

So now her "new" machine has two partitions, the C: partition containing her
XP OS, and the D: partition containing the Win98 OS. We know the XP one is
bootable. But it may be necessary to install this or that driver for the
Win98 OS so that that OS will be ultimately bootable.

And now we come to the multi-boot scenario. Under these circumstances it
probably would be best for her to use a third-party boot manager such as
Boot Magic (included with Partition Magic). Offhand, the only other way I
can think of to create a multi-boot capability in this situation would be a
reinstall of XP. I *think* that would work, but I'm not entirely sure. I
can't recall the results the last time I attempted it.
Anna

I agrre with you Mark I own 3 copies of xp home so why would I want to clone
it I just need to clone from one drive to another win 98 and progarms, seems
not a lot to ask

Sue

Hi
Thanks for all your help. Yes I have set up a dual boot system of XP & 98. I
have to say with all the titbits I have gleened from you all the process
that I forgot was to make a ghost boot disk, this I now have done and happy
to say now have my old comp running and my xp machine. Probably the way I
explained things made most of you to think I was trying to clone xp but that
was not the case. as I said before I have 3 copies of xp home so I would not
want any more.
Any thanks for all your help
regards sue