GPRS Performance

Last response: in Network Providers
May 30, 2005 5:50:06 AM

How is the performance of the fido gprs network, is it decent, slow?
Would like to hear some feedback before signing up for it for pda use.

Thanks,
Daniel

More about : gprs performance

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:32:49 AM

been trying forever to get my gprs working
sony-erricsson z600 with a palm tungsten t3.......

nobody seems to be able to help....

fido says call sony-erricsson...

sony-erricsson says call palm....

palm when i call them will probably say call fido.......

arghhh...

g'luck.

dilusion

"Daniel Correia" <spam@dchosting.net> wrote in message
> How is the performance of the fido gprs network, is it decent, slow?
> Would like to hear some feedback before signing up for it for pda use.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 2:23:55 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 01:50:06 -0400, Daniel Correia wrote:

> How is the performance of the fido gprs network, is it decent, slow? Would
> like to hear some feedback before signing up for it for pda use.

Haven't used it lately, but when I did try using it is was too slow to be
useful.

While bandwidth was "ok" (about the same as dialup), the latency was
HORRIBLE. Sometimes it took 10 seconds or more before data started to
flow, VERY annoying when doing "interactive" stuff on the net. I gave up
on it.

TTYL
May 30, 2005 5:05:29 PM

That doesn't sound too good, but I guess as long as I can check email, its
alright..
Anyone have any idea's how the rogers gprs network is?

"repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.05.30.14.23.55.699281@yahoo.com...
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 01:50:06 -0400, Daniel Correia wrote:
>
>> How is the performance of the fido gprs network, is it decent, slow?
>> Would
>> like to hear some feedback before signing up for it for pda use.
>
> Haven't used it lately, but when I did try using it is was too slow to be
> useful.
>
> While bandwidth was "ok" (about the same as dialup), the latency was
> HORRIBLE. Sometimes it took 10 seconds or more before data started to
> flow, VERY annoying when doing "interactive" stuff on the net. I gave up
> on it.
>
> TTYL
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 6:25:17 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:05:29 -0400, Daniel Correia wrote:

> That doesn't sound too good, but I guess as long as I can check email, its
> alright..
> Anyone have any idea's how the rogers gprs network is?

My experience with Roger's GPRS is better, while the latency CAN be high
at times, in general it's quite responsive.

There are times of the day where it seems to "stall", but that alone could
be due to internet things more then Rogers' side.

It would certainly be OK for email (heck, even the performance I
experienced with Fido's GPRS would have been OK for email). As long as you
don't expect more then dialup performance Roger's GPRS is pretty decent
IMHO. OTOH, it's price is not very decent, but that's another story. TTYL
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 8:53:12 PM

repatch wrote:
> While bandwidth was "ok" (about the same as dialup), the latency was
> HORRIBLE. Sometimes it took 10 seconds or more before data started to
> flow, VERY annoying when doing "interactive" stuff on the net. I gave up
> on it.

You can go to a web site (I think it was rapido.fido.ca but not sure)
which acts as the http proxy and then configure many settings for
data/image compression which affects performance of GPRS with laptops or
other standalone devices the phone as a glorified modem. (as opposed to
the handset's WAP and email finctiosn which do not use HTTP protocol).
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 9:17:47 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 16:53:12 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

> repatch wrote:
>> While bandwidth was "ok" (about the same as dialup), the latency was
>> HORRIBLE. Sometimes it took 10 seconds or more before data started to
>> flow, VERY annoying when doing "interactive" stuff on the net. I gave up
>> on it.
>

> You can go to a web site (I think it was rapido.fido.ca but not sure)
> which acts as the http proxy and then configure many settings for
> data/image compression which affects performance of GPRS with laptops or
> other standalone devices the phone as a glorified modem. (as opposed to
> the handset's WAP and email finctiosn which do not use HTTP protocol).

I'm not talking about http, for that 10 second delays are common (some
would even say expected).

What I'm talking about are "interactive" type applications, things list
instant messaging. For those sorts of apps 10+ second delays are a joke.
Newsgroups were also very painful (imagine selecting an article and then
having to wait 10 seconds for it to appear).

Perhaps things have improved, but from the complete lack of "good" comment
in this thread I have a feeling they haven't. TTYL
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 9:35:10 PM

Daniel Correia wrote:
> How is the performance of the fido gprs network, is it decent, slow?
> Would like to hear some feedback before signing up for it for pda use.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

The 'Fido' GPRS network is fast becoming a thing of the past. The
question really should be: How is the performance of the new integrated
Rogers GPRS network? The Fido branding and plans will persist for the
foreseeable future, but all services will be carried on the Rogers
integrated network.

Brendan
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:01:46 PM

Hi Daniel,

I am using Fido's GPRS. I have an HP4355 connecting via bluetooth on a sony
T610. The speed I will guess is about double a 56K connection 95% of the
time.

Here are the things I am using this PDA for:

EMAIL - good
Internet Explorer - good for all text, fair depending on the Graphics
contents, I turn graphics off
MSN - Perfect, sub-second response and very much real time
Skype or Phone application - performance degrades fast until you cannot use
it anymore
Internet Radio using GSPlayer - not good in GPRS, always goes to buffer
mode.

Thanks,

"Daniel Correia" <spam@dchosting.net> wrote in message
> How is the performance of the fido gprs network, is it decent, slow?
> Would like to hear some feedback before signing up for it for pda use.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:03:01 PM

....Oh, by the way, get the flat GPRS plan for 50 bucks, if you get the per
KB, some websites may just make you spend more than 50 bucks a month in
regular use.

RdR
"RdR" <ron@delrosario.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I am using Fido's GPRS. I have an HP4355 connecting via bluetooth on a
> sony T610. The speed I will guess is about double a 56K connection 95% of
> the time.
>
> Here are the things I am using this PDA for:
>
> EMAIL - good
> Internet Explorer - good for all text, fair depending on the Graphics
> contents, I turn graphics off
> MSN - Perfect, sub-second response and very much real time
> Skype or Phone application - performance degrades fast until you cannot
> use it anymore
> Internet Radio using GSPlayer - not good in GPRS, always goes to buffer
> mode.
>
> Thanks,
>

> "Daniel Correia" <spam@dchosting.net> wrote in message
>> How is the performance of the fido gprs network, is it decent, slow?
>> Would like to hear some feedback before signing up for it for pda use.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Daniel

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:25:06 AM

repatch wrote:
> What I'm talking about are "interactive" type applications, things list
> instant messaging. For those sorts of apps 10+ second delays are a joke.
> Newsgroups were also very painful (imagine selecting an article and then
> having to wait 10 seconds for it to appear).

On my handset, I found that when you have weak reception, throughput is
very slow and sporadic, probably due to need for many retransmits. There
is a huge difference when you have good coverage.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:40:25 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:25:06 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

> repatch wrote:
>> What I'm talking about are "interactive" type applications, things list
>> instant messaging. For those sorts of apps 10+ second delays are a joke.
>> Newsgroups were also very painful (imagine selecting an article and then
>> having to wait 10 seconds for it to appear).
>

> On my handset, I found that when you have weak reception, throughput is
> very slow and sporadic, probably due to need for many retransmits. There
> is a huge difference when you have good coverage.

Perhaps, but my experience was over months, in many different areas, with
full strength of coverage, with 2 different models of handsets. CS
basically admitted that the performance I was seeing was "normal"...
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:41:44 PM

Hey,
I've been testing GPRS with iPaq H6325 i think... so far its pretty decent
in the area's I have been in..I was able to stream online radio from Z103.5
just fine, but I do sometimes see the latency but it's acceptible for emails
etc.

"repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.05.31.14.40.25.138786@yahoo.com...
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:25:06 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:
>
>> repatch wrote:
>>> What I'm talking about are "interactive" type applications, things list
>>> instant messaging. For those sorts of apps 10+ second delays are a joke.
>>> Newsgroups were also very painful (imagine selecting an article and then
>>> having to wait 10 seconds for it to appear).
>>

>> On my handset, I found that when you have weak reception, throughput is
>> very slow and sporadic, probably due to need for many retransmits. There
>> is a huge difference when you have good coverage.
>
> Perhaps, but my experience was over months, in many different areas, with
> full strength of coverage, with 2 different models of handsets. CS
> basically admitted that the performance I was seeing was "normal"...
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 7:19:59 AM

I use it every day.

It all depends how much data you are transferring.

My test show it operates at 14 to 20 abs

"Daniel Correia" <spam@dchosting.net> wrote in message
> How is the performance of the fido gprs network, is it decent, slow?
> Would like to hear some feedback before signing up for it for pda use.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 5:55:50 PM

I use my GPRS everyday (I have the "unlimited" plan) for checking personal
e-mail every 10 minutes, getting stock quotes every 30 minutes, doing the
occassional web browsing, and chatting online. I get the occassional problem
which most of the time I can easily solve by turning off the phone feature
of my PDAphone and turning it back on. The download is roughly
equivalent/slower than a 56k modem connection so I don't do a lot of web
browsing on the phone. I'll just use it to do something like check the time
of a movie playing, etc. How "good" the GPRS works (just like Rogers or
Fido's voice service) also depends on where you are physically located when
you are using it (system strength).

!