Norton AV causes XP to crash

July 3, 2005 7:06:01 PM

Got a 6 month old Gateway P4 running WINXP Pro. Tried to upgrade Norton AV
and now can't start Windows at all. get error something like: WinXP could not
start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" please contact your computer manufacturer.

Can't get into safe mode, won't load a restore point says that area is
corrupt too. has anyone else run into this problem with Norton and WINXP? Any
short solution or do we have to start from scratch on the OS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

More about : norton crash

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 10:35:57 PM

I have been running NAV for years with XP with no problems. While it is
common to suspect newly installed software, NAV may nt be the cause of your
problem.

You have at least two options short of acomplete re-install:

1. Run the recovery console from the XP CDROM. Use the COPY command to
replace the bad file(s). This can work if you have only a few bad file(s),
whose names you know, and if they are system files. Note that you can also
run CHKDSK from the recovery console, and I recommend doing that first, with
the /R option. Your problem could be related to some bad spots on the disk.
Hint: If asked for a password to enter the recovery console, try your normal
password (assuming that you have administrator privileges), or if that fails
try just hit the return key and hope that the password is blank.

2. Run a "repair" installation of XP, also from the XP CDROM. Unlike a
clean install, a repair install does not format the hard drive. Instead, it
essentially reloads all system files, and redetects hardware, and reloads
appropriate drivers. Note that a repair install is supported by the full
retail version of XP (or full retail upgrade). It is usually not supported
by an OEM version of XP.

Links about recovery console:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm (near bottom)

Links about repairing XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3998,a=23979...

"dresdenron" <dresdenron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Got a 6 month old Gateway P4 running WINXP Pro. Tried to upgrade Norton AV
> and now can't start Windows at all. get error something like: WinXP could
> not
> start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" please contact your computer
> manufacturer.
>
> Can't get into safe mode, won't load a restore point says that area is
> corrupt too. has anyone else run into this problem with Norton and WINXP?
> Any
> short solution or do we have to start from scratch on the OS?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ron
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:55:20 AM

Hi,

You have a corrupt registry. It may or may not have anything to do with
Norton's.

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry [Q307545]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"dresdenron" <dresdenron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Got a 6 month old Gateway P4 running WINXP Pro. Tried to upgrade Norton AV
> and now can't start Windows at all. get error something like: WinXP could
> not
> start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" please contact your computer
> manufacturer.
>
> Can't get into safe mode, won't load a restore point says that area is
> corrupt too. has anyone else run into this problem with Norton and WINXP?
> Any
> short solution or do we have to start from scratch on the OS?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ron
July 4, 2005 8:09:27 PM

Kathi Sharp "Norton AV ate critical Windows file" is reporting what sounds
like exactly the same problem. Might be an idea to look at that thread

Chelsea
!