svchost.exe network services problem

Everytime I connect to the internet, any application I start which uses the
connection doesn't work or is really slowed down util I end 'svchost.exe
network services in task manager' How do I fix this? I 'm running windows xp
service pack 2 with a broadband dsl connection. Thanks!

Hi,

Open Windows Explorer to this folder:

C:\Windows\system32\wins

Is there an svchost.exe file here? If so, you have a virus.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Confused and Befrazzled" <Confused and
Befrazzled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Everytime I connect to the internet, any application I start which uses
> the
> connection doesn't work or is really slowed down util I end 'svchost.exe
> network services in task manager' How do I fix this? I 'm running windows
> xp
> service pack 2 with a broadband dsl connection. Thanks!

nope theres no svchost.exe in there ,hidden or normal

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Open Windows Explorer to this folder:
>
> C:\Windows\system32\wins
>
> Is there an svchost.exe file here? If so, you have a virus.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Confused and Befrazzled" <Confused and
> Befrazzled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Everytime I connect to the internet, any application I start which uses
> > the
> > connection doesn't work or is really slowed down util I end 'svchost.exe
> > network services in task manager' How do I fix this? I 'm running windows
> > xp
> > service pack 2 with a broadband dsl connection. Thanks!

Hi,

Start/run cmd, type tasklist /svc

Post back with what is running in the various svchost.exe listings.

--

wrote in message news:3BBF8936-6517-472D-9FB3-997B69EE5C1D@microsoft.com...
> nope theres no svchost.exe in there ,hidden or normal
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Open Windows Explorer to this folder:
>>
>> C:\Windows\system32\wins
>>
>> Is there an svchost.exe file here? If so, you have a virus.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Confused and Befrazzled" <Confused and
>> Befrazzled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Everytime I connect to the internet, any application I start which uses
>> > the
>> > connection doesn't work or is really slowed down util I end
>> > 'svchost.exe
>> > network services in task manager' How do I fix this? I 'm running
>> > windows
>> > xp
>> > service pack 2 with a broadband dsl connection. Thanks!

I'm using home edition but I managed to get the listings

These Windows services are started:

Application Layer Gateway Service
Ati HotKey Poller
Automatic Updates
COM+ Event System
Computer Browser
Creative Service for CDROM Access
Cryptographic Services
DCOM Server Process Launcher
DHCP Client
Distributed Link Tracking Client
DNS Client
Error Reporting Service
Event Log
Fast User Switching Compatibility
Help and Support
HTTP SSL
Iomega Active Disk
Iomega App Services
IPSEC Services
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service
Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service
Plug and Play
Print Spooler
Protected Storage
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Secondary Logon
Security Accounts Manager
Security Center
Server
Shell Hardware Detection
SSDP Discovery Service
Symantec Core LC
Symantec Event Manager
Symantec Network Drivers Service
Symantec Settings Manager
Symantec SPBBCSvc
System Event Notification
System Restore Service
Task Scheduler
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Telephony
Terminal Services
Themes
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
WebClient
Windows Audio
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
Windows Management Instrumentation
Windows Time
Windows User Mode Driver Framework
Wireless Zero Configuration
WMDM PMSP Service
Workstation

The command completed successfully.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Start/run cmd, type tasklist /svc
>
> Post back with what is running in the various svchost.exe listings.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Confused and Befrazzled" <ConfusedandBefrazzled@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:3BBF8936-6517-472D-9FB3-997B69EE5C1D@microsoft.com...
> > nope theres no svchost.exe in there ,hidden or normal
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Open Windows Explorer to this folder:
> >>
> >> C:\Windows\system32\wins
> >>
> >> Is there an svchost.exe file here? If so, you have a virus.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Confused and Befrazzled" <Confused and
> >> Befrazzled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi,

We need the results from the /svc parameter, as it shows what services are
using the svchost.exe file.

--

> I'm using home edition but I managed to get the listings
>
> These Windows services are started:
>
> Application Layer Gateway Service
> Ati HotKey Poller
> Automatic Updates
> COM+ Event System
> Computer Browser
> Creative Service for CDROM Access
> Cryptographic Services
> DCOM Server Process Launcher
> DHCP Client
> Distributed Link Tracking Client
> DNS Client
> Error Reporting Service
> Event Log
> Fast User Switching Compatibility
> Help and Support
> HTTP SSL
> Iomega Active Disk
> Iomega App Services
> IPSEC Services
> Network Connections
> Network Location Awareness (NLA)
> Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service
> Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service
> Plug and Play
> Print Spooler
> Protected Storage
> Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
> Remote Access Connection Manager
> Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
> Secondary Logon
> Security Accounts Manager
> Security Center
> Server
> Shell Hardware Detection
> SSDP Discovery Service
> Symantec Core LC
> Symantec Event Manager
> Symantec Network Drivers Service
> Symantec Settings Manager
> Symantec SPBBCSvc
> System Event Notification
> System Restore Service
> Task Scheduler
> TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
> Telephony
> Terminal Services
> Themes
> Universal Plug and Play Device Host
> WebClient
> Windows Audio
> Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
> Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
> Windows Management Instrumentation
> Windows Time
> Windows User Mode Driver Framework
> Wireless Zero Configuration
> WMDM PMSP Service
> Workstation
>
> The command completed successfully.
>

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Start/run cmd, type tasklist /svc
>>
>> Post back with what is running in the various svchost.exe listings.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Confused and Befrazzled"
>> <ConfusedandBefrazzled@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>> > nope theres no svchost.exe in there ,hidden or normal

i'm not sure what command to use since home doesn't support the one you put
up but the services using svc host from the task manager are:
system(4),network service(1),local service(1)