svchost.exe network services problem

Everytime I connect to the internet, any application I start which uses the
connection doesn't work or is really slowed down util I end 'svchost.exe
network services in task manager' How do I fix this? I 'm running windows xp
service pack 2 with a broadband dsl connection. Thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about svchost network services problem

    Hi,

    Open Windows Explorer to this folder:

    C:\Windows\system32\wins

    Is there an svchost.exe file here? If so, you have a virus.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Confused and Befrazzled" <Confused and
    Befrazzled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Everytime I connect to the internet, any application I start which uses
    > the
    > connection doesn't work or is really slowed down util I end 'svchost.exe
    > network services in task manager' How do I fix this? I 'm running windows
    > xp
    > service pack 2 with a broadband dsl connection. Thanks!

    nope theres no svchost.exe in there ,hidden or normal

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Open Windows Explorer to this folder:
    >
    > C:\Windows\system32\wins
    >
    > Is there an svchost.exe file here? If so, you have a virus.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Confused and Befrazzled" <Confused and
    > Befrazzled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Everytime I connect to the internet, any application I start which uses
    > > the
    > > connection doesn't work or is really slowed down util I end 'svchost.exe
    > > network services in task manager' How do I fix this? I 'm running windows
    > > xp
    > > service pack 2 with a broadband dsl connection. Thanks!

    Hi,

    Start/run cmd, type tasklist /svc

    Post back with what is running in the various svchost.exe listings.

    --

    wrote in message news:3BBF8936-6517-472D-9FB3-997B69EE5C1D@microsoft.com...
    > nope theres no svchost.exe in there ,hidden or normal
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Open Windows Explorer to this folder:
    >>
    >> C:\Windows\system32\wins
    >>
    >> Is there an svchost.exe file here? If so, you have a virus.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Confused and Befrazzled" <Confused and
    >> Befrazzled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Everytime I connect to the internet, any application I start which uses
    >> > the
    >> > connection doesn't work or is really slowed down util I end
    >> > 'svchost.exe
    >> > network services in task manager' How do I fix this? I 'm running
    >> > windows
    >> > xp
    >> > service pack 2 with a broadband dsl connection. Thanks!

    I'm using home edition but I managed to get the listings

    These Windows services are started:

    Application Layer Gateway Service
    Ati HotKey Poller
    Automatic Updates
    COM+ Event System
    Computer Browser
    Creative Service for CDROM Access
    Cryptographic Services
    DCOM Server Process Launcher
    DHCP Client
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    DNS Client
    Error Reporting Service
    Event Log
    Fast User Switching Compatibility
    Help and Support
    HTTP SSL
    Iomega Active Disk
    Iomega App Services
    IPSEC Services
    Network Connections
    Network Location Awareness (NLA)
    Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service
    Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service
    Plug and Play
    Print Spooler
    Protected Storage
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    Remote Access Connection Manager
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Secondary Logon
    Security Accounts Manager
    Security Center
    Server
    Shell Hardware Detection
    SSDP Discovery Service
    Symantec Core LC
    Symantec Event Manager
    Symantec Network Drivers Service
    Symantec Settings Manager
    Symantec SPBBCSvc
    System Event Notification
    System Restore Service
    Task Scheduler
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Telephony
    Terminal Services
    Themes
    Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    WebClient
    Windows Audio
    Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
    Windows Management Instrumentation
    Windows Time
    Windows User Mode Driver Framework
    Wireless Zero Configuration
    WMDM PMSP Service
    Workstation

    The command completed successfully.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Start/run cmd, type tasklist /svc
    >
    > Post back with what is running in the various svchost.exe listings.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Confused and Befrazzled" <ConfusedandBefrazzled@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message news:3BBF8936-6517-472D-9FB3-997B69EE5C1D@microsoft.com...
    > > nope theres no svchost.exe in there ,hidden or normal
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Open Windows Explorer to this folder:
    > >>
    > >> C:\Windows\system32\wins
    > >>
    > >> Is there an svchost.exe file here? If so, you have a virus.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "Confused and Befrazzled" <Confused and
    > >> Befrazzled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    We need the results from the /svc parameter, as it shows what services are
    using the svchost.exe file.

    --

    > I'm using home edition but I managed to get the listings
    >
    > These Windows services are started:
    >
    > Application Layer Gateway Service
    > Ati HotKey Poller
    > Automatic Updates
    > COM+ Event System
    > Computer Browser
    > Creative Service for CDROM Access
    > Cryptographic Services
    > DCOM Server Process Launcher
    > DHCP Client
    > Distributed Link Tracking Client
    > DNS Client
    > Error Reporting Service
    > Event Log
    > Fast User Switching Compatibility
    > Help and Support
    > HTTP SSL
    > Iomega Active Disk
    > Iomega App Services
    > IPSEC Services
    > Network Connections
    > Network Location Awareness (NLA)
    > Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service
    > Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service
    > Plug and Play
    > Print Spooler
    > Protected Storage
    > Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    > Remote Access Connection Manager
    > Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    > Secondary Logon
    > Security Accounts Manager
    > Security Center
    > Server
    > Shell Hardware Detection
    > SSDP Discovery Service
    > Symantec Core LC
    > Symantec Event Manager
    > Symantec Network Drivers Service
    > Symantec Settings Manager
    > Symantec SPBBCSvc
    > System Event Notification
    > System Restore Service
    > Task Scheduler
    > TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    > Telephony
    > Terminal Services
    > Themes
    > Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    > WebClient
    > Windows Audio
    > Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    > Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
    > Windows Management Instrumentation
    > Windows Time
    > Windows User Mode Driver Framework
    > Wireless Zero Configuration
    > WMDM PMSP Service
    > Workstation
    >
    > The command completed successfully.
    >

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Start/run cmd, type tasklist /svc
    >>
    >> Post back with what is running in the various svchost.exe listings.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Confused and Befrazzled"
    >> <ConfusedandBefrazzled@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >> wrote in message
    >> > nope theres no svchost.exe in there ,hidden or normal

    i'm not sure what command to use since home doesn't support the one you put
    up but the services using svc host from the task manager are:
    system(4),network service(1),local service(1)

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> [...]
    > > Terminal Services
    > > Themes
    > > Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    > > WebClient
    > > Windows Audio
    > > Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    > > Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
    > > Windows Management Instrumentation
    > > Windows Time
    > > Windows User Mode Driver Framework
    > > Wireless Zero Configuration
    > > WMDM PMSP Service
    > > Workstation
    > >
    > > The command completed successfully.
    > >

    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Start/run cmd, type tasklist /svc
    > >>
    > >> Post back with what is running in the various svchost.exe listings.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

  7. 100% CPU usage svchost.exe network services? dns cache.

    try to use this winsock here's the link

    http://www.snapfiles.com/downloads/winsockxpfix/dlwinsockxpfix.html

    it works :) :)

Connection Svchost.Exe Windows XP