Windows XP Installation from Hard Drive

raj812

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003
I am looking for the fastest way to install windows xp. I have 1 SATA and 1 IDE raid array and am wondering if there is a way to install windows from the IDE array to the SATA array. Could I create a partition that contains all the files from the windows installation CD and install a fresh copy of windows from there? In a sense, it would be like installing from the CD where the CD would be the partition I created on the IDE array.

TomaHawK

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
wouldn`t you either need to mount the files like a virtual cd? or you need them cracked setup where you can install directly from HDD, then i think winXP let`s you choose a partition during the setup...why not boot via cd-rom and install from there?

Beat the heat with the USB-Powered Fan :wink:

G

Use something like Drive Image or Norton Ghost to create an image of your windows partition, after a fresh installation, and getting all the updates for windows and drivers. That way you just restore the image to your original partition, and don't have to worry about anything, like reinstalling critical updates. And, to restore an image takes less than five minutes for me to complete.

G

By the way, I know that's not a real answer to your question. My whole point is to say that, I don't have to reinstall windows from scratch, unless I do a major hardware upgrade, like a motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS