AT&T Tells Hacker to Find Cell Service Elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
The truth is that nobody's safe, Mitnick has made himself a target simply by notoriety. I do think his claims are legit though in the sense that these companies claim to offer secure services. Rather than attempt to live up to their promises they're cutting their ties with him. It's like a bodyguard not doing the job he was hired for because the opposition looks too tough. Rather cowardly move on their part, but can one really blame them other than the ethical aspects of the situation? Those companies have to make money and maintaining this security is simply too expensive for them.

Unfortunately, this could happen to anyone who becomes a target, so don't rejoice in the irony of it because it could happen to you too.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]I still don't know who Kevin Mitnick is. Anyway, get a life, Kevin![/citation]

Epic fail on reading the article

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]It's like a bodyguard not doing the job he was hired for because the opposition looks too tough.[/citation]
No no no. The average person hires a body guard to protect them from potential danger from an unknown individual. Mitnick hires a bodyguard because he happens to know the entire army of Uzbeckistan is after him. At some point, the body guard just says "look, if you are going to piss off foreign militaries, you better have your own military to back you up."

Most bodyguards are just there to look intimidating. Most won't die for a client that paid them $500 for the night, its just not worth it. You want real protection, you have to pay for it. Mitnick has chosen a path in life that attracts many enemies, he needs to be responsible for his own security.

This would be like buying a winter jacket at Lands End, then complaining that it doesn't stop bullets. I don't recall AT&T and HostedHere ever promising they could stop legions of hackers all trying to make a name for themselves just because some jackass ex-hacker pays for cell phone service and basic web hosting.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Oh brother. He should know he'll always have a huge target on his back. This is a simple problem to solve, too. Just use someone else (and not a family member with the same last name) to setup his mobile account in their name. Or, better yet for people like him, purchase a pre-paid cell phone with cash, and likewise buy the time cards with cash.

But instead he's whining like a punk and hiring lawyers?! And this guy used to be "the most dangerous hacker in America"? How the mighty have fallen.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]don't rejoice in the irony of it because it could happen to you too.[/citation]
I think you're missing the definition of "irony." It's slightly ironic that a hacker is getting hacked, but it's extremely ironic that this hacker is complaining about being unable to protect his information.

If this happened to me, it wouldn't really be ironic because I am not a hacker. I'd just be another number.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I cant wait till that freaking self-expanding gate.com ad goes away forever. If I want to know more, I'll expand it myself. I know one thig for sure, I won't buy any services they provide now for sure.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
As a notorious ex-hacker who hacked cellular service company servers, he really shouldn't be complaining to a cellular service company....

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Or, better yet for people like him, purchase a pre-paid cell phone with cash, and likewise buy the time cards with cash.But instead he's whining like a punk and hiring lawyers?! And this guy used to be "the most dangerous hacker in America"? How the mighty have fallen.[/citation]

No doubt!

As you mentioned a pre-paid cell would solve this instantly. I think he has choosen this route for another reason.... Only Mitnik knows.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Big kevin should contact me so i could fix him up with premium services.
No one can guarantee that his account wont be hacked and or abused but at least i can guarantee that i kick any paying customer just because i might get ddos'd more.
At least when he hires one of my dedicated or virtual boxes i might actually have something to do during office hours other then playing world of warcraft and getting fancy lunches for potential clients.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Heh, clearly someone is leaking his info from inside the company... how could someone get his account info without that happening? He has a pretty valid point though, regardless of how much of a high profile target he is... AT&T can't protect your info, and obviously they don't give a damn or they would do something about it.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]pullmyfinger123[/nom]anyone see the irony that a hacker is complaining about his privacy being invaded?[/citation]
Right! I guess it is true that what goes around comes aroound.

Robert17

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Perhaps, just perhaps, there's no real need for him to have a phone of any kind. With as many people wanting a piece of him as alluded to, you'd think he'd prefer being a hermit. Even his physical USPS mailbox must be jammed with hate/spam mail. Get rid of it too.

G

Überhacker though he may be, does he have the skills to get all the bullshit ATT apps off his phone? I would pay good money for that.

[citation][nom]Platypus[/nom]I think you're missing the definition of "irony." It's slightly ironic that a hacker is getting hacked, but it's extremely ironic that this hacker is complaining about being unable to protect his information.If this happened to me, it wouldn't really be ironic because I am not a hacker. I'd just be another number.[/citation]

how would you expect the hacker to protect himself on AT&T's network? illegally hack into AT&T's network and do it himself and risk getting caught? or try doing it the legal way by letting the GED level techs that AT&T hires and let them do it for him since its the only legal way.

Status
Not open for further replies.