sp2 and older games

July 3, 2005 10:02:06 PM

ever since i installed service pak 2 i cannot run install older games such as
"Need for Speed 3 or Sim city 3" When I try to install these games a message
come up in a box titled "16 bit Windows Subsystem" it then says
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system is not suitable for running
microsoft windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application" it
has a "close" or"ignore" button. I click on "ignore and it still dosn't run
can anyone help. my operating system is xp home edition

More about : sp2 older games

July 4, 2005 12:12:47 AM

Have a look here..
"Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows
Based
Program"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

"jaymzmarc30" <jaymzmarc30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| ever since i installed service pak 2 i cannot run install older
games such as
| "Need for Speed 3 or Sim city 3" When I try to install these games a
message
| come up in a box titled "16 bit Windows Subsystem" it then says
| "C:\WINDOWS\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system is not suitable for
running
| microsoft windows applications. Choose close to terminate the
application" it
| has a "close" or"ignore" button. I click on "ignore and it still
dosn't run
| can anyone help. my operating system is xp home edition
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:14:33 AM

Hi,

The simplest method to resolve this common problem is to copy autoexec.nt
from C:\Windows\repair to C:\Windows\system32 and overwrite the one that is
currently there.

Alternately, you can create a new autoexec.nt file and save it to the
\windows\system32 folder to overwrite the corrupted one. Click start/run and
type notepad, then click ok. Copy/paste the below code into it (instead of
typing it in to prevent errors), then click file/"save as". Navigate to the
C:\Windows\system32 folder, change the "save as file" type to "all types"
and name the file autoexec.nt, then click save (if prompted to overwrite the
existing one, do so).

@echo off
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

Reboot when finished. This usually fixes it, but you will find further steps
here if it doesn't:

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

Basically, you will have to expand new copies of command.com, autoexec.nt,
and config.nt to the system32 folder from the WinXP CD or I386 folder on
your hard drive. Sometimes, you need to create new ones and overwrite the
existing ones - the method is described in the article.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone