Sign in with
Your question

Lasting Gaming Laptop Under 1000usd

November 27, 2012 12:37:55 AM

I am getting closer to being able to purchase a new laptop that will serve as a console/desktop/video camera replacement and still havnt decided yet.

1_What is your budget?
Under 1000usd (I live in CA)

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6 or less

3_What screen resolution do you want?
1366x768 is good, 1080p would be a plus but not needed.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop Replacement mainly, weight doesnt bother me.

5_How much battery life do you need?
3 hours plus while gaming, surfing the web or using apps

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, I would like to play games at medium settings including some newer ones like Hitman.
Black Ops 2: Medium - High
Borderlands 2: Medium
Fallout New Vegas: Medium

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Video Editing, School Occasionally, Movies, and Video Making

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
At least 500GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
None

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
5 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/Writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Lenovo and Asus I hear are pretty good while Acer and HP arent. Brand doesnt really bother me though as long as the laptop is good.

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I will be gaming for 3-5 hour periods and will upgrade to SSD a year or two after purchase. I will mostly be playing from an external monitor so 1366x768 doesnt bother me. I want something that will last, do what I need and not break the bank (1000usd or less). I have been pointed to the Lenovo Y580, but no one is answering the reliability question so I am still undecided. Lastly I will be upgrading RAM off the bat so base RAM doesnt bother me as long as it has 2 slots for a max of 16GB
!