wordpad.exe error

July 3, 2005 11:39:01 PM

My husband, who is disabled, (using xp-pro) has been having lots of computer
issues, but the one driving him crazy at the moment is not being able to use
wordpad. This error message displays when he tries to open a wordpad document:
The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not not be located in the
dynamic link library Shlwapi.dll

More about : wordpad exe error

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:31:46 AM

dknier wrote:
> My husband, who is disabled, (using xp-pro) has been having lots of computer
> issues, but the one driving him crazy at the moment is not being able to use
> wordpad. This error message displays when he tries to open a wordpad document:
> The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not not be located in the
> dynamic link library Shlwapi.dll

This link should get you to where you need to go:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP...
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:15:02 PM

thanks for the link - i unistalled KB834707, but still have same problem. i
think i did download some updates after a failed SP2 update as was suggested
in the article, but don't know how to find which ones - none are listed in
the review update history on update site

"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote:

> dknier wrote:
> > My husband, who is disabled, (using xp-pro) has been having lots of computer
> > issues, but the one driving him crazy at the moment is not being able to use
> > wordpad. This error message displays when he tries to open a wordpad document:
> > The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not not be located in the
> > dynamic link library Shlwapi.dll
>
> This link should get you to where you need to go:
>
> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP...

July 5, 2005 12:12:45 PM

Have you tried the recommended fix/solution at
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP...

Secondly, the problem described at the web page below is slightly different.
But the steps under the heading "Resolution" might be worth pursuing.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162

--
Michael

"dknier" <dknier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanks for the link - i unistalled KB834707, but still have same problem.
> think i did download some updates after a failed SP2 update as was
> suggested
> in the article, but don't know how to find which ones - none are listed in
> the review update history on update site

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:32:01 PM

Yes I did complete the fix recommended at the expert exchange site as noted
in my earlier reply to Rockinghorse. I was able to do the uninstall, but my
problem remains - the error message is in wordpad.exe - not explorer.exe.
Any other ideas?

"Michael T" wrote:

> Have you tried the recommended fix/solution at
> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP...
>
> Secondly, the problem described at the web page below is slightly different.
> But the steps under the heading "Resolution" might be worth pursuing.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162
>
> --
> Michael
>
> "dknier" <dknier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thanks for the link - i unistalled KB834707, but still have same problem.
> > think i did download some updates after a failed SP2 update as was
> > suggested
> > in the article, but don't know how to find which ones - none are listed in
> > the review update history on update site

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:10:17 PM

So it sounds like you are saying you used Recovery Console and also
reinstalled Service Pack 2.

If not, then these are the specific solutions I am recommending.

I might also try Safe Mode and also run System File Checker.

Good luck.

> Yes I did complete the fix recommended at the expert exchange site as
> noted
> in my earlier reply to Rockinghorse. I was able to do the uninstall, but
> my
> problem remains - the error message is in wordpad.exe - not explorer.exe.
> Any other ideas?
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried the recommended fix/solution at
>> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP...
>>
>> Secondly, the problem described at the web page below is slightly
>> different.
>> But the steps under the heading "Resolution" might be worth pursuing.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:24:37 PM

You may also want to consider this site:

"Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> So it sounds like you are saying you used Recovery Console and also
> reinstalled Service Pack 2.
>
> If not, then these are the specific solutions I am recommending.
>
> I might also try Safe Mode and also run System File Checker.
>
> Good luck.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:53:21 AM

What are the versions numbers (right click the file - Properties) of wordpad.exe (in C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories) and shlwapi.dll (in c:\windows\system32). Is the wordpad file the only wordpad file on your computer?

"dknier" <dknier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AD57812-03B8-4539-8A68-AA12EE0ECD3C@microsoft.com...
> Yes I did complete the fix recommended at the expert exchange site as noted
> in my earlier reply to Rockinghorse. I was able to do the uninstall, but my
> problem remains - the error message is in wordpad.exe - not explorer.exe.
> Any other ideas?
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried the recommended fix/solution at
>> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP...
>>
>> Secondly, the problem described at the web page below is slightly different.
>> But the steps under the heading "Resolution" might be worth pursuing.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162
>>
>> --
>> Michael
>>
>> "dknier" <dknier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > thanks for the link - i unistalled KB834707, but still have same problem.
>> > think i did download some updates after a failed SP2 update as was
>> > suggested
>> > in the article, but don't know how to find which ones - none are listed in
>> > the review update history on update site

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 6:18:03 AM

Just Creekview

!