very very slow logon and shutdown

using xp pro os: loading your settings at logon and saving your settings at
shutdwon are taking forever...like 30 minutes or longer. what could be
causing this?
2 answers Last reply
More about very slow logon shutdown

    I would also suggest running a disk cleanup and checkdisk:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    Also, install the following:

    User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

    What's User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean)?
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=42257

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "dknier" wrote:

    | using xp pro os: loading your settings at logon and saving your settings at
    | shutdwon are taking forever...like 30 minutes or longer. what could be
    | causing this?

    Visit http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    See section "SHUTDOWN WORKS, BUT IT'S REAL SLOW"

    Isolate the problem by clean-booting the system.

    How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

    How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "dknier" <dknier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > using xp pro os: loading your settings at logon and saving your settings
    > at
    > shutdwon are taking forever...like 30 minutes or longer. what could be
    > causing this?

Microsoft Shutdown Windows XP