very very slow logon and shutdown

July 3, 2005 11:49:02 PM

using xp pro os: loading your settings at logon and saving your settings at
shutdwon are taking forever...like 30 minutes or longer. what could be
causing this?
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:58:59 AM

I would also suggest running a disk cleanup and checkdisk:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

Also, install the following:

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

What's User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean)?
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleI...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"dknier" wrote:

| using xp pro os: loading your settings at logon and saving your settings at
| shutdwon are taking forever...like 30 minutes or longer. what could be
| causing this?
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:23:36 PM

Visit http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
See section "SHUTDOWN WORKS, BUT IT'S REAL SLOW"

Isolate the problem by clean-booting the system.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User