Recover CD vs Dell supplied OS disk

I just bought a Inspiron 9300 laptop. As expected, it did not come with a OS
or Drivers CD as previously provided with new machines. I plan on calling
Dell today and request the OS disk.

What is included on this disk? Are the drivers included as well as the misc
cr*p that they install?

If I create my own recovery CD using their utility, what is included on this
CD? Can it be used to reformat a hard drive or to install XP on a new HD
should mine fail?

TIA,
Laura
30 answers Last reply
More about recover dell supplied disk

    I don't know about the recovery cd you create with the utility
    BUT the OS cd is just an oem XP cd. It won't have
    drivers but they can be downloaded from the Dell
    website and can be burned to a cd.
    Best wishes.
    Dave.

    On 21 Apr 2005 05:42:36 -0700, "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I don't know about the recovery cd you create with the utility
    >BUT the OS cd is just an oem XP cd. It won't have
    >drivers but they can be downloaded from the Dell
    >website and can be burned to a cd.
    >Best wishes.
    >Dave.

    I'd have a better chance of downloading what I needed from a page
    written in ancient Aramic than from those 28 million or so pages written
    in techno-babble on the Dell Web site.

    What's so hard about putting your system tag into the appropriate field on
    their site and then choosing your operating system?

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:47 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
    wrote:

    ><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
    >> On 21 Apr 2005 05:42:36 -0700, "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I don't know about the recovery cd you create with the utility
    >>>BUT the OS cd is just an oem XP cd. It won't have
    >>>drivers but they can be downloaded from the Dell
    >>>website and can be burned to a cd.
    >>>Best wishes.
    >>>Dave.
    >>
    >> I'd have a better chance of downloading what I needed from a page
    >> written in ancient Aramic than from those 28 million or so pages written
    >> in techno-babble on the Dell Web site.
    >

    >What's so hard about putting your system tag into the appropriate field on
    >their site and then choosing your operating system?

    Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
    has no idea of what SATA means.

    That sort of thing doesn't quite fit into their "we'll lead you by the
    hand if you have tag number" philosophy.

    Besides, the whole point here is that for the money I paid, I shouldn't
    have gotten a half of a system. They should have been up front about
    the fact that no OS disc came with the machine, and that the one
    supposedly - again, "supposedly," available through their restore
    system, was a crippled one, one confined to a single computer.

    There are other matters concerning the lack of quality evident in my
    "China" box, but I'm not going in those.

    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:47 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
    > wrote:
    >>

    >><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

    >>> I'd have a better chance of downloading what I needed from a page
    >>> written in ancient Aramic than from those 28 million or so pages written
    >>> in techno-babble on the Dell Web site.
    >>

    >>What's so hard about putting your system tag into the appropriate field on
    >>their site and then choosing your operating system?
    >>
    > Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
    > has no idea of what SATA means.
    >
    > That sort of thing doesn't quite fit into their "we'll lead you by the
    > hand if you have tag number" philosophy.
    >
    > Besides, the whole point here is that for the money I paid, I shouldn't
    > have gotten a half of a system. They should have been up front about
    > the fact that no OS disc came with the machine, and that the one
    > supposedly - again, "supposedly," available through their restore
    > system, was a crippled one, one confined to a single computer.
    >
    > There are other matters concerning the lack of quality evident in my
    > "China" box, but I'm not going in those.

    Dell was one of the very last holdouts still providing a genuine operating
    system discs with their computers. Restore partitions/discs have been the
    rule not the exception with nearly all of the major manufacturer/vendors for
    a number of years. The change obviously hasn't been smooth or consistent.

    I agree it is a shame that it appears Dell has finally caved in this area.
    It may well affect my next computer purchase. I do greatly prefer having a
    genuine os disc as opposed to the various restore options. It has been one
    of the reasons I have recommended Dells to others over the other leading
    manufacturers. I am rethinking that recommendation. My Dell computers have
    been excellent but I have no particular loyalty to them if I can't get it my
    way. It may be time to go back to building my own.

    Having to load SATA drivers (whether you know what they are or not) to
    install Windows is not a Dell specific issue. Any computer with SATA
    harddrives requires this. It has nothing to do with being a Dell.

    I will say that Dell is one of the better vendors out there as far as making
    it's drivers simple to find and available for download. I just double
    checked to make sure it hadn't changed. Logged into support, clicked
    downloads, entered service tag, category all, Operating System XP, language
    English got a list of drivers for all possible combinations of hardware that
    were available for this particular system.

    All OEM copies of Windows regardless of the modality of installation are
    "confined to a single computer."

    Which high quality "made in America" PC do you plan to purchase in boycott
    of Dells "china box?"

    (As a side note I took delivery of a Dimension 8400 MCE computer in January
    and got both a restore partition and a Genuine XP MCE disc. (DVD) I did not
    get the utility to burn my own restore disc. I did not get the resource CD
    of drivers but an email to support netted me one a few days later.)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:09:57 -0400, "HillBillyBuddhist"
    <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote:
    snip

    >Dell was one of the very last holdouts still providing a genuine operating
    >system discs with their computers. Restore partitions/discs have been the
    >rule not the exception with nearly all of the major manufacturer/vendors for
    >a number of years. The change obviously hasn't been smooth or consistent.

    Nowhere did they mention that an OS disc was not part of the bargain.
    This would have influenced my purchase to the point of NOT buying a new
    box, but getting my 98SE fixed or to find a local comp shop that puts
    together their own boxes and would slip me a copy of the OS.

    snip

    >Having to load SATA drivers (whether you know what they are or not) to
    >install Windows is not a Dell specific issue. Any computer with SATA
    >harddrives requires this. It has nothing to do with being a Dell.

    No, I cannot fault them for having used SATA drives, but I did not know
    that. Neither did I know that no instructions nor drivers - on a disc,
    would be supplied. (I knew better than to think I'd get a manual. What
    they did send was a little more than a booklet covering their legal lack
    of responsibility or liability.)

    >I will say that Dell is one of the better vendors out there as far as making
    >it's drivers simple to find and available for download. I just double
    >checked to make sure it hadn't changed. Logged into support, clicked
    >downloads, entered service tag, category all, Operating System XP, language
    >English got a list of drivers for all possible combinations of hardware that
    >were available for this particular system.

    Well, I'm glad you could find them. But that is to be expected of
    someone who has the knowledge to build his own box. Me? I found
    references to about a hundred SATA gizmos. If you put a gun to my head I
    couldn't pick out which was for my machine.

    How many people who own automobiles are expected to be auto mechanics in
    their spare time?

    >All OEM copies of Windows regardless of the modality of installation are
    >"confined to a single computer."

    By OEM, I take it you mean those that come with a computer from a place
    like Dell or Gateway.

    In that case, MS has won. This kind of mandates that one has to buy a
    full version, legal disc of XP from a place like Best Buy to be able to
    load it on various personal home machines.

    >Which high quality "made in America" PC do you plan to purchase in boycott
    >of Dells "china box?"

    I explained that I'd go to a local shop that puts them together. At
    least I would have more control over the situation. As far as "high
    quality" goods go in America, that is a thing of the past, except maybe
    in a few certain fields. Walmart competitive type tactics of marketing
    have reduced even brand name goods to being little less than junk.

    >(As a side note I took delivery of a Dimension 8400 MCE computer in January
    >and got both a restore partition and a Genuine XP MCE disc. (DVD) I did not
    >get the utility to burn my own restore disc. I did not get the resource CD
    >of drivers but an email to support netted me one a few days later.)

    An e-mail to support netted me an automated reply that had nothing to do
    with my problem. I have no intention of going any further than replying
    to their ridiculous automated supply. I'm not spending hours, or days,
    on a phone arguing with some bohunk in India who earns 2 rupees a day.

    My next box will be made a one of the shops around here, and I will get
    an *real* OS disc slipped to me or they don't get my business. Lastly,
    they will be there when I need them - or the Better Business Bureau and
    a few other entities will bug the hell outta them. It's called
    'control.' Something I have none of with MS or Dell.

    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:09:57 -0400, "HillBillyBuddhist"
    > <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote:

    > Nowhere did they mention that an OS disc was not part of the bargain.

    First off I still agree with you. All computers should come with a genuine
    operating system disc. As I said before this may well influence my next
    computer purchase too.

    Using your "Nowhere did they mention" paradigm however, did they somewhere
    mention that an OS disc *would* be included or was this something you
    assumed? No OS disc has unfortunetly become the industry standard.

    > How many people who own automobiles are expected to be auto mechanics in
    > their spare time?

    Not even one. Those who don't know how, or don't want to learn how, pay
    someone else to do it. It sounds like that's what you should do. The list of
    drivers for Dell systems could hardly be put in an easier to understand
    format.

    > By OEM, I take it you mean those that come with a computer from a place
    > like Dell or Gateway.

    Yes.

    > In that case, MS has won. This kind of mandates that one has to buy a
    > full version, legal disc of XP from a place like Best Buy to be able to
    > load it on various personal home machines.

    You have never been able to use one copy of any version of any Microsoft
    Operating System to "load it on various personal home machines." It is and
    always has been one copy for one computer. The difference between OEM and
    retail is you can transfer a retail copy to a different computer. (after
    removing it from the first computer) OEM versions are permenently tied to
    the system on which they are first installed and cannot legally be
    transferred.

    > I'm not spending hours, or days,
    > on a phone arguing with some bohunk in India who earns 2 rupees a day.

    Very classy. (and telling) You sure I'm not from India?

    > My next box will be made a one of the shops around here, and I will get
    > an *real* OS disc slipped to me or they don't get my business. Lastly,
    > they will be there when I need them.

    You sure? Statistically who do you suppose has a better chance of still
    being in business in 5 years Dell or Bobs Computers? Local computer shops
    tend to come and go like bohunk Indian restaurants at a strip mall.

    HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
    > <tedB@bommer.net> wrote:
    > > "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:
    >
    > > Nowhere did they mention that an OS disc was not part of the bargain.
    >
    > Using your "Nowhere did they mention" paradigm however, did they somewhere
    > mention that an OS disc *would* be included or was this something you
    > assumed? No OS disc has unfortunetly become the industry standard.

    That's a smart alecky response. For the previous Dell owners, the OS CD
    is something taken for granted. Yes, they *would* assume that.

    > > How many people who own automobiles are expected to be auto mechanics in
    > > their spare time?
    >
    > Not even one. Those who don't know how, or don't want to learn how, pay
    > someone else to do it. It sounds like that's what you should do. The list of
    > drivers for Dell systems could hardly be put in an easier to understand
    > format.

    Another smart alecky response. Can anyone, paid or not, reinstall
    without the OS CD? And what about the difficulty in reinstalling the
    system drivers without the Resource CD?

    <tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:47 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
    > wrote:
    >>

    >><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

    >>> I'd have a better chance of downloading what I needed from a page
    >>> written in ancient Aramic than from those 28 million or so pages written
    >>> in techno-babble on the Dell Web site.
    >>

    >>What's so hard about putting your system tag into the appropriate field on
    >>their site and then choosing your operating system?
    >>
    > Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
    > has no idea of what SATA means.
    >
    > That sort of thing doesn't quite fit into their "we'll lead you by the
    > hand if you have tag number" philosophy.
    >
    > Besides, the whole point here is that for the money I paid, I shouldn't
    > have gotten a half of a system. They should have been up front about
    > the fact that no OS disc came with the machine, and that the one
    > supposedly - again, "supposedly," available through their restore
    > system, was a crippled one, one confined to a single computer.
    >
    > There are other matters concerning the lack of quality evident in my
    > "China" box, but I'm not going in those.

    If you don't know what SATA means, then you sure as heck shouldn't have been
    reinstalling your OS. The restore image is perfect for you.

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:18:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    ><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:47 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>>

    >>><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

    >>>What's so hard about putting your system tag into the appropriate field on
    >>>their site and then choosing your operating system?
    >>>
    >> Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
    >> has no idea of what SATA means.
    >>
    >> That sort of thing doesn't quite fit into their "we'll lead you by the
    >> hand if you have tag number" philosophy.
    >>
    >> Besides, the whole point here is that for the money I paid, I shouldn't
    >> have gotten a half of a system. They should have been up front about
    >> the fact that no OS disc came with the machine, and that the one
    >> supposedly - again, "supposedly," available through their restore
    >> system, was a crippled one, one confined to a single computer.
    >>
    >> There are other matters concerning the lack of quality evident in my
    >> "China" box, but I'm not going in those.
    >
    >If you don't know what SATA means, then you sure as heck shouldn't have been
    >reinstalling your OS. The restore image is perfect for you.

    Well, I'll tell ya, smartmouth, my last boxes were Wind 98SE ones, and
    it was no big deal if one had to install the OS and the programs. I had
    to do it only once for myself, but I did it a few times for friends.
    Drive Image got me around the problem of bad crashes.

    Anymore insults?

    Windows 98 would need SATA drivers too, as would Linux, Macintosh, BeOS,
    Amiga, etc...

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:43:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
    wrote:

    ><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:18:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    >> wrote:
    >> Well, I'll tell ya, smartmouth, my last boxes were Wind 98SE ones, and
    >> it was no big deal if one had to install the OS and the programs. I had
    >> to do it only once for myself, but I did it a few times for friends.
    >> Drive Image got me around the problem of bad crashes.
    >>
    >> Anymore insults?

    I installed with the drive disks (floppies) that came with the disks.
    Never read anything re: SATA on any of the drive literature specs of my
    Maxtors. I think you are speaking recent history. I don't think SATA was
    around when I bought my last drives some years back.

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:19:23 -0700, smh <smhong@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
    >> <tedB@bommer.net> wrote:
    >> > "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Nowhere did they mention that an OS disc was not part of the bargain.
    >>
    >> Using your "Nowhere did they mention" paradigm however, did they somewhere
    >> mention that an OS disc *would* be included or was this something you
    >> assumed? No OS disc has unfortunetly become the industry standard.
    >
    >That's a smart alecky response. For the previous Dell owners, the OS CD
    >is something taken for granted. Yes, they *would* assume that.
    >
    >> > How many people who own automobiles are expected to be auto mechanics in
    >> > their spare time?
    >>
    >> Not even one. Those who don't know how, or don't want to learn how, pay
    >> someone else to do it. It sounds like that's what you should do. The list of
    >> drivers for Dell systems could hardly be put in an easier to understand
    >> format.
    >
    >Another smart alecky response. Can anyone, paid or not, reinstall
    >without the OS CD? And what about the difficulty in reinstalling the
    >system drivers without the Resource CD?

    Brahmins walk on water. The don't need no stinking Resource CD. :)

    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:43:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:18:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> Well, I'll tell ya, smartmouth, my last boxes were Wind 98SE ones, and
    >>> it was no big deal if one had to install the OS and the programs. I had
    >>> to do it only once for myself, but I did it a few times for friends.
    >>> Drive Image got me around the problem of bad crashes.
    >>>
    >>> Anymore insults?
    >>
    > I installed with the drive disks (floppies) that came with the disks.
    > Never read anything re: SATA on any of the drive literature specs of my
    > Maxtors. I think you are speaking recent history. I don't think SATA was
    > around when I bought my last drives some years back.

    Do yourself a favor and e-mail dell and request both the Drivers Cd as well
    as the OS CD. That way you have them just in case you need them in the
    future. I'm still not convinced that the Recovery CD I created today will be
    useful if I ever get a new hard drive for this laptop.

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:03:28 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Do yourself a favor and e-mail dell and request both the Drivers Cd as well
    >as the OS CD. That way you have them just in case you need them in the
    >future. I'm still not convinced that the Recovery CD I created today will be
    >useful if I ever get a new hard drive for this laptop.

    I have an email out to them, plus a follow up to their nonsense reply.
    If, as they say, a human reads the follow ups, I'll "discuss" it at that
    time.

    I have DriverGuide ToolKit on my 98SE machine. I guess I'll install it
    on this XP Pro and see how it works.

    Free plug:
    http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/

    wrote:

    ><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:43:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

    >> I installed with the drive disks (floppies) that came with the disks.
    >> Never read anything re: SATA on any of the drive literature specs of my
    >> Maxtors. I think you are speaking recent history. I don't think SATA was
    >> around when I bought my last drives some years back.
    >
    >Do yourself a favor and e-mail dell and request both the Drivers Cd as well
    >as the OS CD. That way you have them just in case you need them in the
    >future. I'm still not convinced that the Recovery CD I created today will be
    >useful if I ever get a new hard drive for this laptop.

    Surprise!

    Already I received an e-mail saying they would ship me the Recovery CD.
    I did ask for a CD with all drivers, especially those for the SATA
    drive.

    We shall see.

    tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:03:28 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >

    > ><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

    > >> I installed with the drive disks (floppies) that came with the disks.
    > >> Never read anything re: SATA on any of the drive literature specs of my
    > >> Maxtors. I think you are speaking recent history. I don't think SATA was
    > >> around when I bought my last drives some years back.
    > >
    > >Do yourself a favor and e-mail dell and request both the Drivers Cd as well
    > >as the OS CD. That way you have them just in case you need them in the
    > >future. I'm still not convinced that the Recovery CD I created today will be
    > >useful if I ever get a new hard drive for this laptop.
    >
    > Surprise!
    >
    > Already I received an e-mail saying they would ship me the Recovery CD.
    > I did ask for a CD with all drivers, especially those for the SATA
    > drive.
    >
    > We shall see.

    In the past, the CD with drivers, user guides, diagnostics, etc., has been
    known as the "ResourceCD."

    Things may have changed.

    Notan

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:11:02 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

    >tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    snipped

    >> Surprise!
    >>
    >> Already I received an e-mail saying they would ship me the Recovery CD.
    >> I did ask for a CD with all drivers, especially those for the SATA
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> We shall see.
    >
    >In the past, the CD with drivers, user guides, diagnostics, etc., has been
    >known as the "ResourceCD."
    >
    >Things may have changed.
    >
    >Notan

    It doesn't hurt to cover that base, just in case.

    tedB@bommer.net wrote:
    > smh wrote:
    >
    > >HillBillyBuddhist wrote:

    > >> Using your "Nowhere did they mention" paradigm however, did they somewhere
    > >> mention that an OS disc *would* be included or was this something you
    > >> assumed? No OS disc has unfortunetly become the industry standard.
    > >
    > >That's a smart alecky response. For the previous Dell owners, the OS CD
    > >is something taken for granted. Yes, they *would* assume that.

    > >> Not even one. Those who don't know how, or don't want to learn how, pay
    > >> someone else to do it. It sounds like that's what you should do. The list of
    > >> drivers for Dell systems could hardly be put in an easier to understand
    > >> format.
    > >
    > >Another smart alecky response. Can anyone, paid or not, reinstall
    > >without the OS CD? And what about the difficulty in reinstalling the
    > >system drivers without the Resource CD?
    >
    > Brahmins walk on water. The don't need no stinking Resource CD. :)

    LOL!

    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:03:28 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Do yourself a favor and e-mail dell and request both the Drivers Cd as
    >>well
    >>as the OS CD. That way you have them just in case you need them in the
    >>future. I'm still not convinced that the Recovery CD I created today will
    >>be
    >>useful if I ever get a new hard drive for this laptop.
    >
    > I have an email out to them, plus a follow up to their nonsense reply.
    > If, as they say, a human reads the follow ups, I'll "discuss" it at that
    > time.
    >
    > I have DriverGuide ToolKit on my 98SE machine. I guess I'll install it
    > on this XP Pro and see how it works.
    >
    > Free plug:
    > http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/

    Thanks,

    You might find this useful too:

    It will give you a list of all your installed hardware and software.
    Print it out (or save the file elsewhere). Might come in handy if you
    need to identify a particular piece of hardware.

    <tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:18:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

    >>> Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
    >>> has no idea of what SATA means.
    >>>
    >>> That sort of thing doesn't quite fit into their "we'll lead you by the
    >>> hand if you have tag number" philosophy.
    >>>
    >>> Besides, the whole point here is that for the money I paid, I shouldn't
    >>> have gotten a half of a system. They should have been up front about
    >>> the fact that no OS disc came with the machine, and that the one
    >>> supposedly - again, "supposedly," available through their restore
    >>> system, was a crippled one, one confined to a single computer.
    >>>
    >>> There are other matters concerning the lack of quality evident in my
    >>> "China" box, but I'm not going in those.
    >>
    >>If you don't know what SATA means, then you sure as heck shouldn't have
    >>been
    >>reinstalling your OS. The restore image is perfect for you.
    >>
    > Well, I'll tell ya, smartmouth, my last boxes were Wind 98SE ones, and
    > it was no big deal if one had to install the OS and the programs. I had
    > to do it only once for myself, but I did it a few times for friends.
    > Drive Image got me around the problem of bad crashes.
    >
    > Anymore insults?

    Not an insult, just a fact. Sorry it offended upi

    "smh" <smhong@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
    >> <tedB@bommer.net> wrote:
    >> > "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Nowhere did they mention that an OS disc was not part of the bargain.
    >>
    >> Using your "Nowhere did they mention" paradigm however, did they
    >> somewhere
    >> mention that an OS disc *would* be included or was this something you
    >> assumed? No OS disc has unfortunetly become the industry standard.
    >
    > That's a smart alecky response.

    Yes it was. I'm glad that made it through. Nuance is so often lost in the
    written word.

    >For the previous Dell owners, the OS CD
    > is something taken for granted. Yes, they *would* assume that.

    How's that assumption working? (please see the last paragraph)

    >> > How many people who own automobiles are expected to be auto mechanics
    >> > in
    >> > their spare time?
    >>
    >> Not even one. Those who don't know how, or don't want to learn how, pay
    >> someone else to do it. It sounds like that's what you should do. The list
    >> of
    >> drivers for Dell systems could hardly be put in an easier to understand
    >> format.
    >
    > Another smart alecky response.

    Right again. Two for two. Congratulations.

    >Can anyone, paid or not, reinstall
    > without the OS CD? And what about the difficulty in reinstalling the
    > system drivers without the Resource CD?

    If you read the thread I was addressing this guys whining about how only a
    computer genius could navigate the vast complexities of the Dell Web site in
    order to download a driver (which frankly couldn't be easier and is better
    than most) and about how he was darned if he was going to trade emails or
    make phone calls or do anything other than moan to get the problem fixed.

    The "bohunk in India who earns 2 rupees a day" comment was what prompted the
    "smart alecky" response.

    You've conveniently left out the several time I've stated my own
    disappointment with Dells decision to finally cave to the industry standard
    of not providing genuine operating system discs and the fact that I've
    stated several time that this could conceivably influence my next computer
    purchase and further recommendations.

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:09:24 -0500, tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    >Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
    >has no idea of what SATA means.

    I find it kind of hard to believe someone would buy a SATA drive and
    PCI card without knowing what they are. (Well, ok, my wife did buy
    the drive, but I did the install!) And if the motherboard supports
    SATA natively, which I've heard the newest Dells do, no drivers should
    be needed.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

    "Paul Knudsen" <bigkahuna@jupada.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:09:24 -0500, tedB@bommer.net wrote:
    >
    >>Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
    >>has no idea of what SATA means.
    >
    > I find it kind of hard to believe someone would buy a SATA drive and
    > PCI card without knowing what they are. (Well, ok, my wife did buy
    > the drive, but I did the install!) And if the motherboard supports
    > SATA natively, which I've heard the newest Dells do, no drivers should
    > be needed.
    > --
    > Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
    > http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/

    XP needs the drivers. It doesn't have native SATA support. They're too new.

    >XP needs the drivers. It doesn't have native SATA support. They're too new.

    Only if you wants to run a kind of RAID.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Henning" <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote in message

    >>XP needs the drivers. It doesn't have native SATA support. They're too
    >>new.
    >
    > Only if you wants to run a kind of RAID.

    Are you sure? I was under the impression that no SATA drivers were on the XP
    disk.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    If you have a Dell XP with SP2 CD, the drivers are installed automatically.

    > "Henning" <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>XP needs the drivers. It doesn't have native SATA support. They're too
    >>>new.
    >>
    >> Only if you wants to run a kind of RAID.
    >
    > Are you sure? I was under the impression that no SATA drivers were on the
    > XP disk.

  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ah, SP2 adds them!
    > If you have a Dell XP with SP2 CD, the drivers are installed
    > automatically.

    >> "Henning" <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote in message

    >>> Only if you wants to run a kind of RAID.
    >>
    >> Are you sure? I was under the impression that no SATA drivers were on the
    >> XP disk.

  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

    >"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> If you have a Dell XP with SP2 CD, the drivers are installed
    >> automatically.
    >
    >Ah, SP2 adds them!

    AFAIK, SP2 does not have AHCI and SATA Raid drivers. If Dell sp2 cd
    does not need the "special" drivers, then Dell must have streamed
    those drivers.

    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Henning" <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote in message

    >>> Are you sure? I was under the impression that no SATA drivers were on the
    >>> XP disk.

  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Yes, they are in the "OEM" folder on the CD.

    "Curious" <Curious@curiosity.net> wrote in message
    > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> If you have a Dell XP with SP2 CD, the drivers are installed
    >>> automatically.
    >>
    >>Ah, SP2 adds them!
    >
    > AFAIK, SP2 does not have AHCI and SATA Raid drivers. If Dell sp2 cd
    > does not need the "special" drivers, then Dell must have streamed
    > those drivers.

Dell CD-Rom Computers