WGR614v1 Latest Firmware Upgrade

THe newest firmware upgrade for the WGR614v1 router (firmware version
1.40 aka 1400) appears stable thus far. I've been using it all week
with the WPA-PSK encryption enabled. Could it be that Netgear has
finally got it right? Only time will tell.

I installed the same firmware. The router seems to work fine. However the
netgear WAG511 card in the laptop has problems. The netgear utility
'forgets' the passphrase each time you reboot. I switched to the windows
utility. thing seem ok now. as you said time will tell

Scott

"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> THe newest firmware upgrade for the WGR614v1 router (firmware version
> 1.40 aka 1400) appears stable thus far. I've been using it all week
> with the WPA-PSK encryption enabled. Could it be that Netgear has
> finally got it right? Only time will tell.

I had no luck connecting to my router when using WPA, WEP is still
fine. I have wireless connection limited by MAC address and I
disabled SSID broadcast.

Doug Jamal <unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<ff1390172i5jsn63f811inni0lbepjs7mr@4ax.com>...
> THe newest firmware upgrade for the WGR614v1 router (firmware version
> 1.40 aka 1400) appears stable thus far. I've been using it all week
> with the WPA-PSK encryption enabled. Could it be that Netgear has
> finally got it right? Only time will tell.

It appears that if you do not have an administrative privileges, the
Netgear utility, when connected to the WGR614v1 with firmware 1400),
does not maintain the passphrase or even allow you to save your
configuration. Bummer!

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:47:43 -0500, "Rogahn"
<srogahndontmail@charter.net> wrote:

>I installed the same firmware. The router seems to work fine. However the
>netgear WAG511 card in the laptop has problems. The netgear utility
>'forgets' the passphrase each time you reboot. I switched to the windows
>utility. thing seem ok now. as you said time will tell
>
>Scott
>

>"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> THe newest firmware upgrade for the WGR614v1 router (firmware version
>> 1.40 aka 1400) appears stable thus far. I've been using it all week
>> with the WPA-PSK encryption enabled. Could it be that Netgear has
>> finally got it right? Only time will tell.

I upgraded to 1400 beta. The WEP setting still work fine but whenever
I change the Netgear router settings to WPA, my Netgear WG511 card
will not connect. I am using the latest v2.1.22 driver. When I do a
Scan of my router from the Netgear WG511 software it says the router
is still using WEP. I have SSID set to No Broadcast and have limited
the wireless connection settings by MAC address. Has anyone had the
same issues with these settings?

Doug Jamal <unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<e558901gbkv2nofekl19nolt1and4q6knf@4ax.com>...
> It appears that if you do not have an administrative privileges, the
> Netgear utility, when connected to the WGR614v1 with firmware 1400),
> does not maintain the passphrase or even allow you to save your
> configuration. Bummer!
>
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:47:43 -0500, "Rogahn"
> <srogahndontmail@charter.net> wrote:
>
> >I installed the same firmware. The router seems to work fine. However the
> >netgear WAG511 card in the laptop has problems. The netgear utility
> >'forgets' the passphrase each time you reboot. I switched to the windows
> >utility. thing seem ok now. as you said time will tell
> >
> >Scott
> >

> >"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> THe newest firmware upgrade for the WGR614v1 router (firmware version
> >> 1.40 aka 1400) appears stable thus far. I've been using it all week
> >> with the WPA-PSK encryption enabled. Could it be that Netgear has
> >> finally got it right? Only time will tell.

Initially, when I enabled WPA, I was getting the dreaded "connect then
disconnect loop". However, after rebooting the router, the connection
became permanent and still is.