windows changed and I can't change it back......

can someone help me with this problem.... when i click on my c drive in my
computer it opens up a search dialouge. when i right click on my drive by
default instead of the word (open) being there i see the word (search).as
the first option instead of (open) how can I change this?
every time i double click on one of my drives it opens up the windows search
utility.even on my cd drive. Aside from that nothing will read automaticaly.
(it used to about 2 weeks ago but it has stopped and i don't know how or
why. my cd drive wont autorun any programs i insert even windows xp cd. 2
weeks i have been trying to fix this to no avail.
can anyone help pleaseeeeeee?
klid357@hush.com
3 answers Last reply
More about windows changed change back

    Issue: Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder

    This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    feature for folders. (example)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Resolution:

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    (Tip from David Candy)

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    -or-

    To fix this manually via registry:

    If this problem is seen for Drives:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    If this problem is seen for folders:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "klid" <klid357@hush.com> wrote in message
    > can someone help me with this problem.... when i click on my c drive in my
    > computer it opens up a search dialouge. when i right click on my drive by
    > default instead of the word (open) being there i see the word (search).as
    > the first option instead of (open) how can I change this?
    > every time i double click on one of my drives it opens up the windows
    > search utility.even on my cd drive. Aside from that nothing will read
    > automaticaly. (it used to about 2 weeks ago but it has stopped and i don't
    > know how or why. my cd drive wont autorun any programs i insert even
    > windows xp cd. 2 weeks i have been trying to fix this to no avail.
    > can anyone help pleaseeeeeee?
    > klid357@hush.com

    Thank u for yur help i dont think iwould have figured it out, do u also knw
    how to turn my cd roms autorun feature back on?
    > Issue: Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    >
    > This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
    > via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    > feature for folders. (example)
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > Resolution:
    >
    > Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    > (Tip from David Candy)
    >
    > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >
    > -or-
    >
    > To fix this manually via registry:
    >
    > If this problem is seen for Drives:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >
    > If this problem is seen for folders:
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "klid" <klid357@hush.com> wrote in message
    >> can someone help me with this problem.... when i click on my c drive in
    >> my computer it opens up a search dialouge. when i right click on my drive
    >> by default instead of the word (open) being there i see the word
    >> (search).as the first option instead of (open) how can I change this?
    >> every time i double click on one of my drives it opens up the windows
    >> search utility.even on my cd drive. Aside from that nothing will read
    >> automaticaly. (it used to about 2 weeks ago but it has stopped and i
    >> don't know how or why. my cd drive wont autorun any programs i insert
    >> even windows xp cd. 2 weeks i have been trying to fix this to no avail.
    >> can anyone help pleaseeeeeee?
    >> klid357@hush.com

    Try the Autoplay Repair tool from MS

    Download details: Autoplay Repair Wizard:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en

    --

    > Thank u for yur help i dont think iwould have figured it out, do u also
    > knw how to turn my cd roms autorun feature back on?
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Issue: Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    >>
    >> This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
    >> via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print
    >> Directory" feature for folders. (example)
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >>
    >> Resolution:
    >>
    >> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    >> (Tip from David Candy)
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >>
    >> -or-
    >>
    >> To fix this manually via registry:
    >>
    >> If this problem is seen for Drives:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    >> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >>
    >> If this problem is seen for folders:
    >>
    >> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    >> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "klid" <klid357@hush.com> wrote in message
    >>> can someone help me with this problem.... when i click on my c drive in
    >>> my computer it opens up a search dialouge. when i right click on my
    >>> drive by default instead of the word (open) being there i see the word
    >>> (search).as the first option instead of (open) how can I change this?
    >>> every time i double click on one of my drives it opens up the windows
    >>> search utility.even on my cd drive. Aside from that nothing will read
    >>> automaticaly. (it used to about 2 weeks ago but it has stopped and i
    >>> don't know how or why. my cd drive wont autorun any programs i insert
    >>> even windows xp cd. 2 weeks i have been trying to fix this to no avail.
    >>> can anyone help pleaseeeeeee?
    >>> klid357@hush.com

Windows XP