Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Wireless Not Working After Installing Service Pack 2

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
July 4, 2005 2:26:01 AM

I recently intalled the Windows XP Service Pack 2 and know I can not get on
to the internet with my wireless card. Everything shows that I am connected
to my router and my router shows the connection, but everytime I try to get
on the internet I recieve an error messeage: Cannot find server or DNS Error.

All the seetings seem to be the same as before the service pack was
installed. If I plug in to an ethernet cable I have no problems. Any help
is greatly appreciated.

More about : wireless working installing service pack

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 4, 2005 4:58:54 PM

"J-Man" <J-Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently intalled the Windows XP Service Pack 2 and know I can not get on
> to the internet with my wireless card. Everything shows that I am
> connected
> to my router and my router shows the connection, but everytime I try to
> get
> on the internet I recieve an error messeage: Cannot find server or DNS
> Error.
>

> All the seetings seem to be the same as before the service pack was
> installed. If I plug in to an ethernet cable I have no problems. Any
> help
> is greatly appreciated.

These are just some ideas because I've not hit the problem:

1. Can you ping your dns server (or anything else?)

2. Do you have a valid ip address? For instance if you are using dhcp then
it a valid ip address still being allocated.

3. I get the impression that most problems with XPSP2 are caused by the
firewall. You might like to try switching this off and seeing if it helps.
(You should have a firewall, I'm only suggesting you turn it off temporarily
to see if it makes a difference.)

Hope this helps.

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 4, 2005 4:58:55 PM

Brian,
This is a MS wireless support page for SP2. Maybe your answer is in the
card or driver & SP2 compatability arena.
'How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service
Pack 2' (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=870702)
If that doesn't work out for you, try Googleing your wireless card
model & SP2 problems.
Best,
Treeman

--