The case of the disappearing drives - help!

July 4, 2005 8:14:17 PM

Hi all,

I have just now UNinstalled the Nero CD/DVD software suite, and it has taken
my drives with it. I have a Ricoh CD drive, and a Pioneer DVD drive, and
both were working fine.

After the uninstall of the Nero software, the drives are gone from "my
computer", but they appear in device manager with an exclamation point next
to each.

They both appear, and are recognised in the BIOS setup.

Device manager reports that the drivers are damaged or missing, but
uninstalling and reinstalling them doesn't help.

This means of course that I can't reinstall the drivers from the original
Windows XP pro CD.

I can't find the drivers on Microsoft's site.

Help!

Michael
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:14:18 PM

Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
website

CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Michael" <idealist@tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> I have just now UNinstalled the Nero CD/DVD software suite, and it has
> taken my drives with it. I have a Ricoh CD drive, and a Pioneer DVD
> drive, and both were working fine.
>
> After the uninstall of the Nero software, the drives are gone from "my
> computer", but they appear in device manager with an exclamation point
> next to each.
>
> They both appear, and are recognised in the BIOS setup.
>
> Device manager reports that the drivers are damaged or missing, but
> uninstalling and reinstalling them doesn't help.
>
> This means of course that I can't reinstall the drivers from the original
> Windows XP pro CD.
>
> I can't find the drivers on Microsoft's site.
>
> Help!
>
> Michael

July 4, 2005 9:35:48 PM

And here endeth the problem.

Thank you very much. All working fine now.

regards,
:)
Michael

"Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
> See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
> Run the provided registry patch
>
> That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
> non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
> references for your cdrom(s))
>

> Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
> website
>

> CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
>
> CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code
> 19,
> or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060
>

> (It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)
>

> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "Michael" <idealist@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have just now UNinstalled the Nero CD/DVD software suite, and it has
>> taken my drives with it. I have a Ricoh CD drive, and a Pioneer DVD
>> drive, and both were working fine.
>>
>> After the uninstall of the Nero software, the drives are gone from "my
>> computer", but they appear in device manager with an exclamation point
>> next to each.
>>
>> They both appear, and are recognised in the BIOS setup.
>>
>> Device manager reports that the drivers are damaged or missing, but
>> uninstalling and reinstalling them doesn't help.
>>
>> This means of course that I can't reinstall the drivers from the original
>> Windows XP pro CD.
>>
>> I can't find the drivers on Microsoft's site.
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> Michael

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:35:49 PM

Glad to hear the problem is fixed.

Thanks for letting us know that the solution worked for you.

--

!