Blank Screen at Start UP

Intermittently the screen reamins blank at start up. I then need to turn th
PC off an then on again. Sometimes the scrren come on sometimes it takes a
number of OFF/ON's. MAchine is also now starting to reboot by itself. Have
used Nortons to check for Virus's.
6 answers Last reply
More about blank screen start

    Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "geoff001" <geoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56076CAC-2671-4F7E-B065-D5CA70138D00@microsoft.com...
    > Intermittently the screen reamins blank at start up. I then need to turn th
    > PC off an then on again. Sometimes the scrren come on sometimes it takes a
    > number of OFF/ON's. MAchine is also now starting to reboot by itself. Have
    > used Nortons to check for Virus's.

    I have run CHKDSK /R 'one bad sector which has been repaired..
    Problem still exists.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "geoff001" <geoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56076CAC-2671-4F7E-B065-D5CA70138D00@microsoft.com...
    > > Intermittently the screen reamins blank at start up. I then need to turn th
    > > PC off an then on again. Sometimes the scrren come on sometimes it takes a
    > > number of OFF/ON's. MAchine is also now starting to reboot by itself. Have
    > > used Nortons to check for Virus's.

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "geoff001" <geoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8EFC3F5A-FA74-4E9D-BE89-055551A093E1@microsoft.com...
    >I have run CHKDSK /R 'one bad sector which has been repaired..
    > Problem still exists.
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >> "geoff001" <geoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56076CAC-2671-4F7E-B065-D5CA70138D00@microsoft.com...
    >> > Intermittently the screen reamins blank at start up. I then need to turn th
    >> > PC off an then on again. Sometimes the scrren come on sometimes it takes a
    >> > number of OFF/ON's. MAchine is also now starting to reboot by itself. Have
    >> > used Nortons to check for Virus's.

    Tried to run SFC /SCANNOW 3 times each time the process got to about a third
    throught and the PC rebooted itself.
    The same thing is happening when I runa virus scan from the F-secure web site!
    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "geoff001" <geoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8EFC3F5A-FA74-4E9D-BE89-055551A093E1@microsoft.com...
    > >I have run CHKDSK /R 'one bad sector which has been repaired..
    > > Problem still exists.
    > >
    > > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Mark L. Ferguson
    > >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

    Hello Geoff,
    have you tried switching your monitor off then on. I have seen quite a few
    monitors that are reluctant to come out of stand-by, I'll probably get
    panned for saying this but iiyama models seem particular subject to this
    problem.

    Chelsea

    I FIXED this on my notebook! Hope this helps the dozens of Dell Inspiron
    owners having the same problem.

    The solution is un-sticking the mechanism which puts the notebook in suspend
    when the notebook is closed. It's an easy fix, if I can explain it
    effectively.

    Open the notebook and use a screwdriver to take off the decorative plate
    above the keyboard. There's a slot on the left side. Gently peel it from
    left to right, as the right side will remain affixed by some cable.

    Above the F5 and F6, all the way up near the crease between the monitor
    (lid) and the keyboard (base), you will see a miniscule "stick" sticking up.
    Like a tiny stickshift. Press on it several times to loosen it up. It
    should bob up and down like a jack-in-the-box.

    Now replace the cover and restart your computer.

    The tech also had me uninstall the video driver, and reinstall it with the
    original Dell CD, but that didn't work. The procedure above did, which makes
    me believe the Inspiron's control is of faulty design.

    Good luck!

    "geoff001" wrote:

    > Intermittently the screen reamins blank at start up. I then need to turn th
    > PC off an then on again. Sometimes the scrren come on sometimes it takes a
    > number of OFF/ON's. MAchine is also now starting to reboot by itself. Have
    > used Nortons to check for Virus's.

Support Microsoft Windows XP