Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Blank Screen at Start UP

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 3:36:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Intermittently the screen reamins blank at start up. I then need to turn th
PC off an then on again. Sometimes the scrren come on sometimes it takes a
number of OFF/ON's. MAchine is also now starting to reboot by itself. Have
used Nortons to check for Virus's.

More about : blank screen start

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:05:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R

--
Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
"geoff001" <geoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56076CAC-2671-4F7E-B065-D5CA70138D00@microsoft.com...
> Intermittently the screen reamins blank at start up. I then need to turn th
> PC off an then on again. Sometimes the scrren come on sometimes it takes a
> number of OFF/ON's. MAchine is also now starting to reboot by itself. Have
> used Nortons to check for Virus's.
>
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:20:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have run CHKDSK /R 'one bad sector which has been repaired..
Problem still exists.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> "geoff001" <geoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56076CAC-2671-4F7E-B065-D5CA70138D00@microsoft.com...
> > Intermittently the screen reamins blank at start up. I then need to turn th
> > PC off an then on again. Sometimes the scrren come on sometimes it takes a
> > number of OFF/ON's. MAchine is also now starting to reboot by itself. Have
> > used Nortons to check for Virus's.
> >
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:44:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

--
Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
"geoff001" <geoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8EFC3F5A-FA74-4E9D-BE89-055551A093E1@microsoft.com...
>I have run CHKDSK /R 'one bad sector which has been repaired..
> Problem still exists.
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "geoff001" <geoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56076CAC-2671-4F7E-B065-D5CA70138D00@microsoft.com...
>> > Intermittently the screen reamins blank at start up. I then need to turn th
>> > PC off an then on again. Sometimes the scrren come on sometimes it takes a
>> > number of OFF/ON's. MAchine is also now starting to reboot by itself. Have
>> > used Nortons to check for Virus's.
>> >
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:44:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Tried to run SFC /SCANNOW 3 times each time the process got to about a third
throught and the PC rebooted itself.
The same thing is happening when I runa virus scan from the F-secure web site!
"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> "geoff001" <geoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8EFC3F5A-FA74-4E9D-BE89-055551A093E1@microsoft.com...
> >I have run CHKDSK /R 'one bad sector which has been repaired..
> > Problem still exists.
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> >> "geoff001" <geoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56076CAC-2671-4F7E-B065-D5CA70138D00@microsoft.com...
> >> > Intermittently the screen reamins blank at start up. I then need to turn th
> >> > PC off an then on again. Sometimes the scrren come on sometimes it takes a
> >> > number of OFF/ON's. MAchine is also now starting to reboot by itself. Have
> >> > used Nortons to check for Virus's.
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
July 4, 2005 8:22:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hello Geoff,
have you tried switching your monitor off then on. I have seen quite a few
monitors that are reluctant to come out of stand-by, I'll probably get
panned for saying this but iiyama models seem particular subject to this
problem.

Chelsea
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 10:01:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I FIXED this on my notebook! Hope this helps the dozens of Dell Inspiron
owners having the same problem.

The solution is un-sticking the mechanism which puts the notebook in suspend
when the notebook is closed. It's an easy fix, if I can explain it
effectively.

Open the notebook and use a screwdriver to take off the decorative plate
above the keyboard. There's a slot on the left side. Gently peel it from
left to right, as the right side will remain affixed by some cable.

Above the F5 and F6, all the way up near the crease between the monitor
(lid) and the keyboard (base), you will see a miniscule "stick" sticking up.
Like a tiny stickshift. Press on it several times to loosen it up. It
should bob up and down like a jack-in-the-box.

Now replace the cover and restart your computer.

The tech also had me uninstall the video driver, and reinstall it with the
original Dell CD, but that didn't work. The procedure above did, which makes
me believe the Inspiron's control is of faulty design.

Good luck!

"geoff001" wrote:

> Intermittently the screen reamins blank at start up. I then need to turn th
> PC off an then on again. Sometimes the scrren come on sometimes it takes a
> number of OFF/ON's. MAchine is also now starting to reboot by itself. Have
> used Nortons to check for Virus's.
>
!