Download Problems... Please Help

July 4, 2005 7:10:01 AM

Every time I attempt to download a file (such as a program) from the internet
I experience a problem where the file download status reaches 99%
completion... then stops (I have tried waiting for a long time afterward but
nothing). I don't have this problem if I simply chose to 'Open' the file
instead of 'Save' though this solution only works for things like Word
documents.

Similarly, and I think related to my first problem, when I try to recieve
files from friends through MSN Messenger, I am apparently able to sucessfully
download the file, though when I go to the previously determined destination
of the file it is no-where to be seen!

Furthermore, my PC-Cillin virus checker hasn't been able to detect any
viruses so the cause of the problem escapes me.

I am getting quite annoyed by this. I'd appreciate any help.

More about : download problems

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:59:27 PM

Provide some details, please. What kind of files are you downloading? What size are they? File size may matter.

Are you using Internet Explorer browser? Bring up IE browser. From main IE menu, select Tools, then Internet Options, on General Tab select Settings (from mid-screen "Temporary Internet Files). Check "amount of disk space to use". You want to allow enough space to hold the largest file you may download.

While checking that, go ahead and clear temp cache by pressing "Delete Files".

Check your free space on your local drives.

Does this pc have a 3rd-party download manager?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

pulsewidth wrote:
> Every time I attempt to download a file (such as a program) from the
> internet I experience a problem where the file download status
> reaches 99% completion... then stops (I have tried waiting for a long
> time afterward but nothing). I don't have this problem if I simply
> chose to 'Open' the file instead of 'Save' though this solution only
> works for things like Word documents.
>
> Similarly, and I think related to my first problem, when I try to
> recieve files from friends through MSN Messenger, I am apparently
> able to sucessfully download the file, though when I go to the
> previously determined destination of the file it is no-where to be
> seen!
>
> Furthermore, my PC-Cillin virus checker hasn't been able to detect any
> viruses so the cause of the problem escapes me.
>
> I am getting quite annoyed by this. I'd appreciate any help.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:47:02 PM

Thanks for replying.

File size varies from a few Kb's (say a .zip file containing desktop icons)
or large .exe files around 50mB. I don't suspect file size is an issue
because there haven't been any exceptions.

Yes, I use IE. I tried increasing the available space to many hundred mB's
as well as clearing the temp cache but my downloads still don't work
properly.

I have plenty of free space on my local drive; at least a few gigs.

I'm not aware of any third party download manager.

Any further ideas?

!