A GeForce Upgrade question

Lord_Xor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I own a 800 mhz Athlon and a GeForce256 DDR,30GB HD,

256MB PC133, and an Asus K7V mobo.

I am considering upgrading to a GeForce2 GTS.

My question is : will I notice a decent performance increase in 3D games? or should I be looking at cranking up my CPU instead? Sacrifice and Ground control can get the Jitters (<15fps) when things get busy.

Thanks in advance!

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow, its hard to imagine that your setup can't handle any game out there. I don't think you really need an upgrade. I would turn off a few programs in the background while playing games. Or maybe you could decrease your resolution (what resolution are you trying to play games at anyway?).
When I had a Duron 600 and a GeForce256 DDR, I never had any problems playing any games evern at really high resolutions.

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
can't believe it either. You should really waitif you have a Geforce DDR. A cpu upgrade will not do anyhing.

I have a Athlon 750 and GF2 and the demo of sacrifice runs great (1024x760 32bit I believe and turned quality up)

got latest drivers?

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

G

To get any significant increase, you will have to go with an Ultra card. But I agree, there must be something else wrong. Your config should do better than that!

Lord_Xor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nvidia has like 8+ driver files listed in properties, I saw that the versions were different numbers (??) not sure how that happened, but I installed VGA compatible first, then instlled 6.31

Total fix . . . silky YEAH

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an identical system and I agree you have a problem somewhere if you are getting the jitters can you give us a bit more info? Can you run a bench mark and post some results and we can go from there?

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

> Nvidia has like 8+ driver files listed in properties, I saw that the versions were different numbers (??) not sure how that happened

This can be normal. When they fix something, it does not allways change all of the modules. When they level set (i.e. 631), they may have different levels of each driver.