Windows Media Player vs mpg files.

This happens on both ver 9 & 10 of Windows Media Player.

I generate mpg files from 2 different sources; my Sony Handycam & television
programs via a video capture card (only legal programs of course).

When I play the Handycam generated files, I get a brief message "Connecting"
& the player starts.

When I play capture card generated files, I get the message "Connecting to
codec server..." & nothing happens with WMP 9 & the video starts with WMP 10
but no sound.

The only difference that I can identify is the size difference. The avg size
of the Handycam files = 60 Mb. Avg size of a capture card file = 2 Gb.

Is that the possible cause or are there other factors to consider?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows media player files

    Your question can best be answered by reposting in the
    "Windows Media Player" newsgroup:

    Visit the "Official" Windows Media Player Newsgroup:

    Windows Media Player FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player/faq.aspx

    Windows Media Player: WMP mini FAQ (Excellent Site!)
    http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

    Windows Media Player Support Center
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];wmp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    > Your question can best be answered by reposting in the
    > "Windows Media Player" newsgroup:
    >
    > Visit the "Official" Windows Media Player Newsgroup:
    >
    > Windows Media Player FAQ
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player/faq.aspx
    >
    > Windows Media Player: WMP mini FAQ (Excellent Site!)
    > http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html
    >
    > Windows Media Player Support Center
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];wmp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Zilva Zanga" wrote:
    >
    > | This happens on both ver 9 & 10 of Windows Media Player.
    > |
    > | I generate mpg files from 2 different sources; my Sony Handycam &
    > television
    > | programs via a video capture card (only legal programs of course).
    > |
    > | When I play the Handycam generated files, I get a brief message
    > "Connecting"
    > | & the player starts.
    > |
    > | When I play capture card generated files, I get the message "Connecting
    > | codec server..." & nothing happens with WMP 9 & the video starts with
    > WMP 10
    > | but no sound.
    > |
    > | The only difference that I can identify is the size difference. The avg
    > size
    > | of the Handycam files = 60 Mb. Avg size of a capture card file = 2 Gb.
    > |
    > | Is that the possible cause or are there other factors to consider?

    ty

Media Player Windows XP