Windows Media Player vs mpg files.

July 4, 2005 11:11:18 PM

This happens on both ver 9 & 10 of Windows Media Player.

I generate mpg files from 2 different sources; my Sony Handycam & television
programs via a video capture card (only legal programs of course).

When I play the Handycam generated files, I get a brief message "Connecting"
& the player starts.

When I play capture card generated files, I get the message "Connecting to
codec server..." & nothing happens with WMP 9 & the video starts with WMP 10
but no sound.

The only difference that I can identify is the size difference. The avg size
of the Handycam files = 60 Mb. Avg size of a capture card file = 2 Gb.

Is that the possible cause or are there other factors to consider?
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:11:19 PM

Your question can best be answered by reposting in the
"Windows Media Player" newsgroup:

Visit the "Official" Windows Media Player Newsgroup:

Windows Media Player FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/p...

Windows Media Player: WMP mini FAQ (Excellent Site!)
http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

Windows Media Player Support Center
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];wmp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Zilva Zanga" wrote:

| This happens on both ver 9 & 10 of Windows Media Player.
|
| I generate mpg files from 2 different sources; my Sony Handycam & television
| programs via a video capture card (only legal programs of course).
|
| When I play the Handycam generated files, I get a brief message "Connecting"
| & the player starts.
|
| When I play capture card generated files, I get the message "Connecting to
| codec server..." & nothing happens with WMP 9 & the video starts with WMP 10
| but no sound.
|
| The only difference that I can identify is the size difference. The avg size
| of the Handycam files = 60 Mb. Avg size of a capture card file = 2 Gb.
|
| Is that the possible cause or are there other factors to consider?
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:05:31 PM

news:o pf45dMgFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Your question can best be answered by reposting in the
> "Windows Media Player" newsgroup:
>
> Visit the "Official" Windows Media Player Newsgroup:
>
> Windows Media Player FAQ
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/p...
>
> Windows Media Player: WMP mini FAQ (Excellent Site!)
> http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html
>
> Windows Media Player Support Center
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];wmp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Zilva Zanga" wrote:
>
> | This happens on both ver 9 & 10 of Windows Media Player.
> |
> | I generate mpg files from 2 different sources; my Sony Handycam &
> television
> | programs via a video capture card (only legal programs of course).
> |
> | When I play the Handycam generated files, I get a brief message
> "Connecting"
> | & the player starts.
> |
> | When I play capture card generated files, I get the message "Connecting
> | codec server..." & nothing happens with WMP 9 & the video starts with
> WMP 10
> | but no sound.
> |
> | The only difference that I can identify is the size difference. The avg
> size
> | of the Handycam files = 60 Mb. Avg size of a capture card file = 2 Gb.
> |
> | Is that the possible cause or are there other factors to consider?

ty
!