Installing Windows XP - Home Edition-Full Installation

July 4, 2005 11:19:03 AM

I am installing Windows XP-Home full Edition on a formatted hard drive (C).
When I insert the XP CD into the CD ROM, it goes through a setup process, but
continues to go through the same process over and over, restarting the
computer and copying what seems to be the same files over and over. Is this
normal? If so, how many times does it take to complete the setup? Is there
another process? Thank you for your thoughts.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:38:00 PM

When you first start the install the computer boots from the CD. When the
first part is done, the computer reboots. When the computer starts again DO
NOT press a key to boot from the CD. You want to boot from the hard drive
this time to continue the installation.

If you do NOT have an option to boot from the CD displayed, that can be
bypassed, it is because your particular M/B's bios doesn't support this
function. In this case, you will have to go into the computer bios and
remove the CD as the first boot device. Make the hard drive the first boot
device.

If you have any problems, post back here - to this same thread please!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am installing Windows XP-Home full Edition on a formatted hard drive (C).
> When I insert the XP CD into the CD ROM, it goes through a setup process,
> but
> continues to go through the same process over and over, restarting the
> computer and copying what seems to be the same files over and over. Is
> this
> normal? If so, how many times does it take to complete the setup? Is
> there
> another process? Thank you for your thoughts.

July 4, 2005 2:38:01 PM

I get a prompt: "Boot from CD : " then,
"DISK BOOK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

At Startuup, I went into setup and went to Advanced BIOS Features. I set
the First Boot Device as HDD-0, the next one is Floppy, then CD ROM. I still
get the above message. Please advise what to do. Thanks.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> When you first start the install the computer boots from the CD. When the
> first part is done, the computer reboots. When the computer starts again DO
> NOT press a key to boot from the CD. You want to boot from the hard drive
> this time to continue the installation.
>
> If you do NOT have an option to boot from the CD displayed, that can be
> bypassed, it is because your particular M/B's bios doesn't support this
> function. In this case, you will have to go into the computer bios and
> remove the CD as the first boot device. Make the hard drive the first boot
> device.
>
> If you have any problems, post back here - to this same thread please!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am installing Windows XP-Home full Edition on a formatted hard drive (C).
> > When I insert the XP CD into the CD ROM, it goes through a setup process,
> > but
> > continues to go through the same process over and over, restarting the
> > computer and copying what seems to be the same files over and over. Is
> > this
> > normal? If so, how many times does it take to complete the setup? Is
> > there
> > another process? Thank you for your thoughts.

July 4, 2005 3:00:37 PM

As stated previously - when message appears to "press any key to boot from
CD" - ignore and setup should boot from the hard drive. Should problem
continue - go to Microsoft XP support site and download utility to make
floppy installation disks ( 6 to be exact).

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
July 4, 2005 4:26:24 PM

I would suggest that you start setup again - from scratch. With the problems
you have it could be that you have corrupted the first part of the install.
If it is corrupted, there is no chance that the second part, which uses the
information the first part placed on the hard drive, can continue.

--

>I get a prompt: "Boot from CD : " then,
> "DISK BOOK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
>
> At Startuup, I went into setup and went to Advanced BIOS Features. I set
> the First Boot Device as HDD-0, the next one is Floppy, then CD ROM. I
> still
> get the above message. Please advise what to do. Thanks.
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> When you first start the install the computer boots from the CD. When the
>> first part is done, the computer reboots. When the computer starts again
>> DO
>> NOT press a key to boot from the CD. You want to boot from the hard drive
>> this time to continue the installation.
>>
>> If you do NOT have an option to boot from the CD displayed, that can be
>> bypassed, it is because your particular M/B's bios doesn't support this
>> function. In this case, you will have to go into the computer bios and
>> remove the CD as the first boot device. Make the hard drive the first
>> boot
>> device.
>>
>> If you have any problems, post back here - to this same thread please!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>

>> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am installing Windows XP-Home full Edition on a formatted hard drive
>> >(C).
>> > When I insert the XP CD into the CD ROM, it goes through a setup
>> > process,
>> > but
>> > continues to go through the same process over and over, restarting the
>> > computer and copying what seems to be the same files over and over. Is
>> > this
>> > normal? If so, how many times does it take to complete the setup? Is
>> > there
>> > another process? Thank you for your thoughts.

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:37:26 PM

"" wrote:
> I am installing Windows XP-Home full Edition on a formatted
> hard drive (C).
> When I insert the XP CD into the CD ROM, it goes through a
> setup process, but
> continues to go through the same process over and over,
> restarting the
> computer and copying what seems to be the same files over and
> over. Is this
> normal? If so, how many times does it take to complete the
> setup? Is there
> another process? Thank you for your thoughts.

well i’m not a serious techy but i’ve installed XP a fair few times.
SO when u put the disc in to install do u get a dos style blue screen
menu to start off with? if so theni would chse to abandon current
instalation, then chose to install a new copy and on the partition
screen delete the current partition (u will lose all data if u have
any) then install on the raw partition chosing to format in NTFS (NOT
quick), thats just routine to make sure the partition and formating is
ok, if you keep getting the same problem you need to talk to a
proffesional.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Installing-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1754296
July 4, 2005 7:37:31 PM

Installation of XP Home takes a little over 30 minutes Jim. Looping is not
normal behaviour, try the install again, but when it gets to the point where
it says Windows will reboot your computer in so many seconds, eject the CD
and only reinsert the CD when Windows asks for it.

Chelsea
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:02:22 AM

> When you first start the install the computer boots from the CD. When the
> first part is done, the computer reboots. When the computer starts again
> DO NOT press a key to boot from the CD. You want to boot from the hard
> drive this time to continue the installation.
>
> If you do NOT have an option to boot from the CD displayed, that can be
> bypassed, it is because your particular M/B's bios doesn't support this
> function. In this case, you will have to go into the computer bios and
> remove the CD as the first boot device. Make the hard drive the first boot
> device.
>
> If you have any problems, post back here - to this same thread please!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am installing Windows XP-Home full Edition on a formatted hard drive
>>(C).
>> When I insert the XP CD into the CD ROM, it goes through a setup process,
>> but
>> continues to go through the same process over and over, restarting the
>> computer and copying what seems to be the same files over and over. Is
>> this
>> normal? If so, how many times does it take to complete the setup? Is
>> there
>> another process? Thank you for your thoughts.

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:54:29 AM

Jim <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I get a prompt: "Boot from CD : " then,
>"DISK BOOK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
>
>At Startuup, I went into setup and went to Advanced BIOS Features. I set
>the First Boot Device as HDD-0, the next one is Floppy, then CD ROM. I still
>get the above message. Please advise what to do. Thanks.

Reconfigure your boot sequence so it reads:

CD first, diskette second, HD (0) third

or

diskette first, CD second, HD (0) third

When the computer reboots during the install do not repeat do not boot
from the CD (normally you get a prompt to "press spacebar to boot from
CD" or similar - ignore this after the first time.

If your computer autoboots from a bootable CD without asking you first
then you need to remove the CD at the same time as to computer
reboots, and do not put it back in again until asked to do so.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP