DirectX Problem

G

I having a strange problem that I can't seem to figure out. Maybe someone out there has come across this and maybe share their knowledge. The problem:
I have to disable AGP in the directx(Ver 7.0a) display screen to get any d3d game to run. if I leave it inabled then all d3d games lock within seconds. This does not happen what so ever with opengl games. I have reinstalled directx several times and the latest manufacture video drivers and still problems. My system specs are

P3800
Abit BF6
Creative GTS2 Video Card
Creative Live Gamer
3com 3905b Nic
Promise Ultra66 disk controller

G

If you have AGP Fast Write turned on in your bios, turn it off.

G

My Abit is based on the BX technology and it doesn't support this feature in the bios. I have my AGP set to fast mode in the bios which translates to 2x AGP speed. I also tried different aperture settings starting with 64mb increamenting and leaivng it set to 256mb(I have 384mb of pc100 ram). As far as my Creativelabs Geforce drivers I have tried both 1x & 2x AGP speed with no success in all of these changes.

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you mean AGP texture acceleration? I don't understand what "AGP" you are disabling.
Go to:
C:\Program Files\directx\setup
Click on DxDiag and test all your hardware.

I have WinMe and found DX 8.0 to be more stable on it.

:cool: James

G

I'm sorry what I meant I believe it's named the AGP Port in the directx diag screen. It's underneath the enable 3d direct draw or something or another. It's the last button that enables/disables the AGP port. I'm at work so I can't really be precise as to what I saw on my machine at home.

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What OS are you using?
I am still at a loss for what you are disabling or where you found it. More details would be helpful.

Hopefully somebody else recognizes what you are describing and can be more helpful.

:cool: James

G

I have WinMe and found DX 8.0 to be more stable on it.
yeah, absolutly. Highly recommand DX8 for WinME user. :cool:

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have found win ME to be no advantage over 98se
he is talking about disableing agp texture accell under
the DXDIAG util i assume.
try the latest drivers and DX 8 install the DX8 first
i would also probably go with the nvidia ref drivers
if you do make sure you set the video card to standard pci first then reboot then install the det. 3 driver 6.31 from nvidia.

Bored, Certified TEch.