Wordpad XP problem with doc files that worked ok using Win98

Wordpad XP won't load doc files that I saved and read ok when I had
windows 98. Says it "can't open Word 6.0." It opens rtf files fine.
Also, got the error message "unable to load graphics conversion
filter" when trying to open a doc file I received.
I do not have microsoft Word program.

--
mike
4 answers Last reply

    Error message when you open a document file in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883090

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "mjboross" <11southernvista@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Wordpad XP won't load doc files that I saved and read ok when I had
    > windows 98. Says it "can't open Word 6.0." It opens rtf files fine.
    > Also, got the error message "unable to load graphics conversion
    > filter" when trying to open a doc file I received.
    > I do not have microsoft Word program.
    >

    > --
    > mike

    That worked, thanks.
    --
    mike

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Error message when you open a document file in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883090
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "mjboross" <11southernvista@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Wordpad XP won't load doc files that I saved and read ok when I had
    > > windows 98. Says it "can't open Word 6.0." It opens rtf files fine.
    > > Also, got the error message "unable to load graphics conversion
    > > filter" when trying to open a doc file I received.
    > > I do not have microsoft Word program.
    > >

    > > --
    > > mike

    You're welcome.

    --

    > That worked, thanks.
    > --
    > mike
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Error message when you open a document file in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883090
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "mjboross" <11southernvista@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Wordpad XP won't load doc files that I saved and read ok when I had
    >> > windows 98. Says it "can't open Word 6.0." It opens rtf files fine.
    >> > Also, got the error message "unable to load graphics conversion
    >> > filter" when trying to open a doc file I received.
    >> > I do not have microsoft Word program.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > mike

  4. TRIED OPENING WORDPAD FILES FROM WIN98 IN WIN XP SP3.
    COULD NOT OPEN. COPIED WORDPAD.EXE FROM WIN 98 TO A FOLDER ON XP.
    NOW THE OLD WORDPAD FILES WILL OPEN USING THE WIN 98 WORDPAD.
    WORKED FOR ME. HOPES THIS HELPS SOMEONE.

Windows XP