explorer.exe CRASH after closing control panel

Every time I x out from control panel explorer.exe crashes. It happens every
time. Any ideas as to how to fix this?
6 answers Last reply
More about explorer crash closing control panel

    Update your antivirus software and do a full system scan.

    Also scan for spyware.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:98535886-78BE-449A-ACDD-98625CF06821@microsoft.com,
    Shoewee <Shoewee@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Every time I x out from control panel explorer.exe crashes. It happens
    > every time. Any ideas as to how to fix this?

    The most updated norton runs every night, and Microsoft's Anti-Spyware runs
    every night. No virus, and only one spyware which is from limewire. I don't
    delete it or limewire will not work. That shouldn't be the problem anyway.
    So no virus or spyware. the problem is still the same. As soon as I x out
    of control panel explorer crashes and reloads itself.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Update your antivirus software and do a full system scan.
    >
    > Also scan for spyware.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:98535886-78BE-449A-ACDD-98625CF06821@microsoft.com,
    > Shoewee <Shoewee@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Every time I x out from control panel explorer.exe crashes. It happens
    > > every time. Any ideas as to how to fix this?

    Limewire installs spyware.

    So, yes, spyware.

    Some spyware can cause problems with the Control Panel if they have *.cpl
    files that show up in the Control Panel.
    -----

    Try this...

    Read the instructions at the top
    Scroll down to...
    256. Restore the Control Panel
    -----

    See if you have any errors in the Event Viewer related to the Control Panel.

    Event ID & the Event Source are very important.

    To open the Event Viewer...
    Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK

    For any Events that seem related to the problem...

    Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the second
    arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
    Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Click:

    Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related Knowledge
    Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

    Event Viewer overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/event_overview_01.mspx
    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DEB63FAB-8F27-4617-BF80-B1A68FB5D9D3@microsoft.com,
    Shoewee <Shoewee@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > The most updated norton runs every night, and Microsoft's Anti-Spyware
    > runs every night. No virus, and only one spyware which is from limewire.
    > I don't delete it or limewire will not work. That shouldn't be the
    > problem anyway. So no virus or spyware. the problem is still the same.
    > As soon as I x out of control panel explorer crashes and reloads itself.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Update your antivirus software and do a full system scan.
    >>
    >> Also scan for spyware.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:98535886-78BE-449A-ACDD-98625CF06821@microsoft.com,
    >> Shoewee <Shoewee@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Every time I x out from control panel explorer.exe crashes. It happens
    >>> every time. Any ideas as to how to fix this?

    OK inside of event viewer there are 2 errors. the first says Faulting
    application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module shlwapi.dll,
    version 6.0.2900.2668, fault address 0x00008340

    the other error that occured .02 seconds later stated Fault bucket 203172519.

    I didn't see anything under the related articles that applied to my
    situation. Any more help?!?!?

    Recent versions of Limewire do NOT install spyware (not since 4.x)...

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    > Limewire installs spyware.
    >
    > So, yes, spyware.
    >
    > Some spyware can cause problems with the Control Panel if they have *.cpl
    > files that show up in the Control Panel.
    > -----
    >
    > Try this...
    >
    > Read the instructions at the top
    > Scroll down to...
    > 256. Restore the Control Panel
    > -----
    >
    > See if you have any errors in the Event Viewer related to the Control
    > Panel.
    >
    > Event ID & the Event Source are very important.
    >
    > To open the Event Viewer...
    > Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
    >
    > For any Events that seem related to the problem...
    >
    > Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the
    > second
    > arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
    > Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Click:
    >
    > Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related
    > Knowledge
    > Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful
    >
    > HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427
    >
    > Event Viewer overview
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/event_overview_01.mspx
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:DEB63FAB-8F27-4617-BF80-B1A68FB5D9D3@microsoft.com,
    > Shoewee <Shoewee@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> The most updated norton runs every night, and Microsoft's Anti-Spyware
    >> runs every night. No virus, and only one spyware which is from limewire.
    >> I don't delete it or limewire will not work. That shouldn't be the
    >> problem anyway. So no virus or spyware. the problem is still the same.
    >> As soon as I x out of control panel explorer crashes and reloads itself.
    >>
    >> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Update your antivirus software and do a full system scan.
    >>>
    >>> Also scan for spyware.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:98535886-78BE-449A-ACDD-98625CF06821@microsoft.com,
    >>> Shoewee <Shoewee@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Did you try this...

    Read the instructions at the top
    Scroll down to...
    And click on...

    In news:C8AD96EF-DA93-4891-9ECB-9E1153533CF0@microsoft.com,
    Shoewee <Shoewee@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > OK inside of event viewer there are 2 errors. the first says Faulting
    > application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
    > shlwapi.dll, version 6.0.2900.2668, fault address 0x00008340
    >
    > the other error that occured .02 seconds later stated Fault bucket
    > 203172519.
    >
    > I didn't see anything under the related articles that applied to my
    > situation. Any more help?!?!?

Control Panel Crash Explorer Windows XP