Voodoo 2 SLI

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, let me give you the facts. I have a msi-5185 MOBO, super socket 7 with an onboard ati rage pro turbo2x (AGP) 8 meg. It is not one of those shared memory POS but a pretty nice (best I have seen) onboard video card with its own dedicated memory. I have been playing around with a k6III+ 450 clocked at 550. It also has a ata ultra 100 controller. Now I just want to beaf up the graphics a bit to see just how nice I can make it run. So far all the parts I have aquired for next to nothing. Could I expect to see an improvement running two voodoo 2's in sli mode with an 8 meg agp card? Would it work? Anybody have any bench scores of a sli setup?

Oh, and by the way please no post telling me to get a gforce this or that. I have four computers one with a gforce gts 32 meg, one with a gforce 256 DDR 64 meg, And one with an savage four, and then this one. ( athlon 950, athlon 800, pentium 800, and k6-3+ 550 respectively)

Any information about the sli setup would be greatly appreciated for I have never played around with them.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

mpjesse

Splendid
SLI does work pretty well. The voodoo 3's and 5's are pretty much one card versions of SLI. 3dfx is one of a very few companies that have actually done well using SLI technology, ATi is not. If i can remember, running 2 voodoo2's in SLI almost doubles performance. But, you'd proabaly be better of getting a GeForce2 MX or Voodoo 3.

-MP Jesse

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Oh, and by the way please no post telling me to get a gforce this or that. I have four computers one with a gforce gts 32 meg, one with a gforce 256 DDR 64 meg, And one with an savage four, and then this one. ( athlon 950, athlon 800, pentium 800, and k6-3+ 550 respectively)"
It already has an onboard 8 meg card (agp) and quite honestly I just want to play with an sli setup. However I would like to know what to expect....remember guys this is my fourth computer here not my only computer.

G

Voodoo 2's in SLI run about the same as Voodoo 3 (2000 or 3000, I can't remember)more or less.

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...

G

I have a system with the following:

ASUS P5B mobo
AMD K6-2 550
TNT2 M64 AGP 32MB
2 VOODOO2 cards running in SLI mode

It works great! Since the Voodoo cards only kick in for 3d, they do not interfere at all with the TNT2 card. Plus I have the choice between the two of them for 3d games.

What I am saying is that your config with the Voodoo cards should work just fine, and you will be happy with the frame rates.

Just not so sure about what the overclocking does to the PCI bus!!!

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
this is my setup
k6/2 450mhz
128mg pc-100 ram
Cl riva tnt
2 12mg v2 1000's
tyan trinity s1890 mobo
sb live!
and other stuff...

this setup does pretty well. i use the voodoo cards for most of my games that don't involve openGL. for example i can play "driver" with all options on, highest detail, 1024x768x16, smooth as silk. i also can play UT 1024x768x16 with all the options and it is smooth as well. but i do run into some problems when i start running newer stuff like deus ex, NOLF, or heavy metal FAKK. these play okay but when the poop hits the fan it gets a little jerky.

i don't know how to benchmark my system, but a little advice and i could provide you with some answers.

hope this provides you with a picture of what kind of performance you're looking at.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

G

back in the day i had a s3 sli'd with a v2 and worked pretty damn good, i would assume that 2 v2's would be ok

s0nikk
<A HREF="mailto: dopekwest@hotmail.com "> dopekwest@hotmail.com </A>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Goto this website and download 3dmark 2000
run in default mode after you have turned all resident programs off. ( cntrl+alt+del....then highlight and hit end task on all programs execpt explorer....then run the benchmark)
http://www.madonion.com/

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I run VD2 SLI (2ea 12megs Maxi-gamers) on my "other" machine, which is an IBM Aptiva with K6-2 300(66mhz FSB) and an ATI Rage II 2meg built in video chip. The VooDoos do quite well, giving me almost as good as my TNT2-PIII at 558mhz machine. With 128megs of RAM, it does better, but with the 64megs of stock RAM, it can still play Half-Life and Tribes 1 at a reasonable speed of 30 fps or so. It does Unreal very nicely and so too with Unreal Tournement, alas at a slightly slower speed. I would not buy the setup again even at reduced prices of 50 bucks a card, when you can get a GeForce 256 DDR at 135 bucks, but if it is available, I would definitely use them and I think you will be very pleased and maybe a little surprised at how nice they can render, especially in 3dfx friendly games.

Be sure to get the Wicked 3d mini-driver from I think it is Meta-Byte, anyway, they can make quite a bit of difference in eyecandy and fps. Good Luck, Take-Out.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
this is my system.
450mhz. k6/2 (1mg l2 cache on mobo.)
128mg. pc-100 ram
13.6gig. 7200/66 maxtor hdd
tyan trinity 100at s1590 mobo
CL riva tnt (16mg. sdram)
2 v2 1000's in sli (each has 12mg. edo ram)
kenwood 52x truex cdrom
floppy drive, 250watt p/s
usrob. 56k hardmodem (mdl. 2977)

the riva tnt posted a score of 1121.
the voodoo2's posted a score of 1239.
the test was run at 1024x768x16
frame buffer; triple
z buffer depth; triple
texture format; 16bit

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>