Tron sound problem...

Here's the deal. The game has been in storage for about 3 years and now
when I plug it in the game starts up and plays fine but there is a
scratchy static-y sound coming over the spakers. The volume pot has no
effect, meaning no matter what the volume is, the scratchy sound still
persists.

Any thoughts? I have all manuals and such. If there is a site with
faq's please direct me. I've been out of collecting for quite a few
years and I'm trying to get the old collection up and running again.

thanks in advance,
-r

Is it only when you first fire up the machine and after about ten
minutes it goes away? I had a friend with a pinball machine that did
exactly the same thing. He was told to remove the capacitors on the
bridge rectifier where power first comes in to fix it and it did.
(Machine was an Elvira Scared Stiff if that helps).

Tron has a separate analog GND for tha tgame.. may be something to look
into. Sounds like you may be getting noise over the analog GND or the
+12V.

that pinball fix is for something else, does not apply in this case.

Wiggle the board connectors and see if it comes back. Bet it does :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

As nice as it would have been if it were that easy alas that didn't
work. Any other ideas?

-robb

"Cliffy" wrote:
>Wiggle the board connectors and see if it comes back. Bet it does :)
>
>Robb Manke wrote:
>> Here's the deal. The game has been in storage for about 3 years and
now
>> when I plug it in the game starts up and plays fine but there is a
>> scratchy static-y sound coming over the spakers. The volume pot has
no
>> effect, meaning no matter what the volume is, the scratchy sound
still
>> persists.
>>
>> Any thoughts? I have all manuals and such. If there is a site with
>> faq's please direct me. I've been out of collecting for quite a few
>> years and I'm trying to get the old collection up and running again.
>>
>> thanks in advance,
>> -r
>>

>--
>Cliffy - CARGPB2
>A passion for pinball!
>http://www.passionforpinball.com

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Bummer! Usually on mine I just reseat the big power connector in the
middle of the board and the edged connectors and that brings it back. I
know, I know, I need to make time to get in there and reflow the solder
joints and all but it's always been enough for me to get 'er playing
after sitting a while :)

Robb Manke wrote:
> As nice as it would have been if it were that easy alas that didn't
> work. Any other ideas?
>
> -robb
>
> "Cliffy" wrote:
>
>>Wiggle the board connectors and see if it comes back. Bet it does :)
>>
>>Robb Manke wrote:
>>
>>>Here's the deal. The game has been in storage for about 3 years and
>
> now
>
>>>when I plug it in the game starts up and plays fine but there is a
>>>scratchy static-y sound coming over the spakers. The volume pot has
>
> no
>
>>>effect, meaning no matter what the volume is, the scratchy sound
>
> still
>
>>>persists.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts? I have all manuals and such. If there is a site with
>>>faq's please direct me. I've been out of collecting for quite a few
>>>years and I'm trying to get the old collection up and running again.
>>>
>>>thanks in advance,
>>>-r
>>>

>>--
>>Cliffy - CARGPB2
>>A passion for pinball!
>>http://www.passionforpinball.com
>

> --
> Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com

Right. I have checked every connector, every fuse, everything obvious.
I'm still getting the
fuzz static scratch.

When I coinup the static scratch gets quieter but still remains.

All ground wires seem to be in order. Where would I check for the +12V?

Anyone know if Dick Millikan is still out there? Anyone have his number
or email?