WLNP in Canada ...

I was a senior Project Manager in the USA when WLNP (Wireless Local Number
Portability) came into being. I was part of the core FCC (equal to the
CRTC) representative within one of the largest SPs.

I have been hearing rumors that some SPs here in Canada are gearing up for
this project, as the CRTC is moving towards having this as law in Canada
too.

Who has heard about this? What is the status? And who is it I should speak
to if I wish to be involved at a senior level with WLNP here in Canada? I
have worked form both Bell Mobility and Sprint PCS before.

Martin Doherty
Senior Project Manager

Martin Doherty wrote:
> I was a senior Project Manager in the USA when WLNP (Wireless Local Number
> Portability) came into being. I was part of the core FCC (equal to the
> CRTC) representative within one of the largest SPs.
>
> I have been hearing rumors that some SPs here in Canada are gearing up for
> this project, as the CRTC is moving towards having this as law in Canada
> too.
>
> Who has heard about this? What is the status? And who is it I should speak
> to if I wish to be involved at a senior level with WLNP here in Canada? I
> have worked form both Bell Mobility and Sprint PCS before.
>
> Martin Doherty
> Senior Project Manager

The last I heard is that the wireless carriers are going to LNP of their
own initiative. No doubt they would rather make their own rules than
have the CRTC do it for them!

Here is a link to a press release that may give you more info:

http://www.cwta.ca/CWTASite/english/whatsnew_download/apr21_05.html

Good luck, Brendan

Thanks Brendon -

Do you work at CWTA? I called and spoke to someone at the CRTC who stated
WLNP would be a 2 year review.

I've contacted all the major telcos - none seem to be aware or on the ball
about this. I'd love to position myself early in this some how as a PM.

Martin

Martin Doherty wrote:
> Thanks Brendon -
>
> Do you work at CWTA? I called and spoke to someone at the CRTC who stated
> WLNP would be a 2 year review.
>
> I've contacted all the major telcos - none seem to be aware or on the ball
> about this. I'd love to position myself early in this some how as a PM.
>
> Martin

My only connection to the wireless industry is as a consumer. I am not
surprised that the telcos are not on the ball about this. I am sure
they are thinking that the press release should stall the process just a
little bit longer before they reluctantly put it in place! I hope there
is an opportunity there for you.

Brendan

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

"Brendan McCullough" <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote in message
:
:
: The last I heard is that the wireless carriers are going to LNP of
their
: own initiative. No doubt they would rather make their own rules than
: have the CRTC do it for them!
:
: Here is a link to a press release that may give you more info:
:
: http://www.cwta.ca/CWTASite/english/whatsnew_download/apr21_05.html
:

That sounds very likely since Canada wants to be "unique". It's a shame
since WLNP is **starting** to be a reality in most of the world. Maybe
one day it will be a reality as will buying an unlocked phone from
Rogers or Fido.

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 06:11:38 GMT, "Pavel" <nothing@nothing.com> wrote:

>"Brendan McCullough" <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote in message
>:
>:
>: The last I heard is that the wireless carriers are going to LNP of
>their
>: own initiative. No doubt they would rather make their own rules than
>: have the CRTC do it for them!
>:
>: Here is a link to a press release that may give you more info:
>:
>: http://www.cwta.ca/CWTASite/english/whatsnew_download/apr21_05.html
>:
>
>That sounds very likely since Canada wants to be "unique". It's a shame
>since WLNP is **starting** to be a reality in most of the world. Maybe
>one day it will be a reality as will buying an unlocked phone from
>Rogers or Fido.

Well, considering that it's been less than two years since WLNP came
to the US that's not so bad. And BTW, all the mobile operators were
scared that there would be massive defections when WLNP came about but
it didn't happen.