DVD Rewrite problems

I have a Toshiba Satellite M30 notebook. My dvd rw drive is now not able to
write cd/dvd anymore. The software (nero) no longer recognise it as a dvd
rewrite but only as a dvd rom ao I can only read cd but not burn cd. Urgent
help!

jogirl wrote:
> I have a Toshiba Satellite M30 notebook. My dvd rw drive is now not
> able to write cd/dvd anymore. The software (nero) no longer recognise
> it as a dvd rewrite but only as a dvd rom ao I can only read cd but
> not burn cd. Urgent help!

Uninstall it from Device Drivers and let Windows reinstall it at the next
reboot.
Uninstall your Nero software as well (before rebooting) and reinnstall after
Windows refinds it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I did exactly as you suggested but it still recognised it only as a read and
not as a write. I do not believe it is a hardware problem but I cannot seem
to think of anything else to do.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> jogirl wrote:
> > I have a Toshiba Satellite M30 notebook. My dvd rw drive is now not
> > able to write cd/dvd anymore. The software (nero) no longer recognise
> > it as a dvd rewrite but only as a dvd rom ao I can only read cd but
> > not burn cd. Urgent help!
>
> Uninstall it from Device Drivers and let Windows reinstall it at the next
> reboot.
> Uninstall your Nero software as well (before rebooting) and reinnstall after
> Windows refinds it.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

It's possible the laser that does the writing (or circuitry involved with)
has become damaged or inoperable. Of course if it is self contained to the
"write" laser, the read laser subsystem will maintain its full capability.
I have 2 DVD-RW's in the precise state - I've replaced them with new
DVD-RW+- double layer/CD-RW+-, but the original drives work in the Linux
boxes as DVD/CD-ROM's just fine for the past 2 years.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"jogirl" <jogirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I did exactly as you suggested but it still recognised it only as a read
>and
> not as a write. I do not believe it is a hardware problem but I cannot
> seem
> to think of anything else to do.
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> jogirl wrote:
>> > I have a Toshiba Satellite M30 notebook. My dvd rw drive is now not
>> > able to write cd/dvd anymore. The software (nero) no longer recognise
>> > it as a dvd rewrite but only as a dvd rom ao I can only read cd but
>> > not burn cd. Urgent help!
>>
>> Uninstall it from Device Drivers and let Windows reinstall it at the next
>> reboot.
>> Uninstall your Nero software as well (before rebooting) and reinnstall
>> after
>> Windows refinds it.
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

How do I make sure it is a hardware problem (laser writing). Toshiba charges
an arm and a leg just to replace the DVD drive.

"Star Fleet Admiral Q" wrote:

> It's possible the laser that does the writing (or circuitry involved with)
> has become damaged or inoperable. Of course if it is self contained to the
> "write" laser, the read laser subsystem will maintain its full capability.
> I have 2 DVD-RW's in the precise state - I've replaced them with new
> DVD-RW+- double layer/CD-RW+-, but the original drives work in the Linux
> boxes as DVD/CD-ROM's just fine for the past 2 years.
>
> --
>
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
>
> http://www.google.com
> Google is your "Friend"
>
> "jogirl" <jogirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I did exactly as you suggested but it still recognised it only as a read
> >and
> > not as a write. I do not believe it is a hardware problem but I cannot
> > seem
> > to think of anything else to do.

> >> Uninstall it from Device Drivers and let Windows reinstall it at the next
> >> reboot.
> >> Uninstall your Nero software as well (before rebooting) and reinnstall
> >> after
> >> Windows refinds it.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Shenan Stanley
> >> MS-MVP
> >> --
> >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

blukpool

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
i have a Toshiba Satellite notebook and had the upper and lower registry problem shortly after purchasing it. I fixed it and it worked fine for a while, but I found out about 6 months ago that i couldn't read any cd's of any kind (data, game, or music) on the drive any longer. Today I found it that it WILL read a dvd. I'm not sure if I can burn anything (cd OR dvd) because I can't even get the drive to recognize there's a disc. I keep getting an error message when I use any cd that says "Please insert a disc into drive d:" Please help! How can my once perfectly good cd and dvd burner/reader become only a dvd reader???

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
first thing I would do is get EFRC(Eusing Free Registry Cleaner) and straighten out the registry, then see if nero sees the drive as burn capabe in the tools menu, if not MAYBE the burner part of the drive has died