Task bar icon tips buried

XP-Pro/SP2 Toshiba M10

About half the time I float the cursor over an icon in either the quick
launch section or the system tray section of the task bar, the icon info
window is buried underneath/behind the task bar.

I have an NVidea card and have played with the various desktop settings
through the NVidea display utility. but it changes nothing.

I have experienced this on three separate machines using three separate
display adapters, so I am thinking this is an OS problem.

Any thoughts?
6 answers Last reply
More about task icon tips buried

    Review the following tips from Kelly, MS-MVP:
    <Quote>
    What is the difference between Minimize All and Show Desktop?
    http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewt­hing/archive/2004/05/27/143042­.aspx

    Added tips and workarounds:

    Tool Tips Hidden Behind Taskbar (Line 321)
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm

    Restore Taskbar and Desktop to Default Functionality (Line 164)
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/taskbarplus!.htm

    </Endquote>

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:44:06 -0500, Dr. Dos wrote:

    > XP-Pro/SP2 Toshiba M10
    >
    > About half the time I float the cursor over an icon in either the quick
    > launch section or the system tray section of the task bar, the icon info
    > window is buried underneath/behind the task bar.
    >
    > I have an NVidea card and have played with the various desktop settings
    > through the NVidea display utility. but it changes nothing.
    >
    > I have experienced this on three separate machines using three separate
    > display adapters, so I am thinking this is an OS problem.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    The problem is an "on top" issue. Both the taskbar and the toolbar are
    fighting for that position. Have not seen a solution yet that works 100%. I
    did see a recent post that described a new twist (workaround).
    Unfortunately, I did not jot down that person's name but here's the gist of
    their method:

    Taskbar Properties> uncheck box to keep taskbar on top of other windows.
    Click Apply. At this point the tooltips will show up again. Then check the
    box again to keep taskbar on top and click OK to close the properties
    window.

    Rinse and repeat as needed.

    So far this works well for me and is less bothersome or intrusive than some
    other workarounds that I've tried in the past. It puts the z order of
    positioning right again and will hold until the next time XP "forgets."

    Hope the suggestion helps you too.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    This is a bug from day 1.

    Everyone who should, knows about it. Fixing it, I guess, it is just not high
    on the priority list of things to do.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:44:06 -0500, Dr. Dos wrote:
    >

    >>XP-Pro/SP2 Toshiba M10
    >>
    >>About half the time I float the cursor over an icon in either the quick
    >>launch section or the system tray section of the task bar, the icon info
    >>window is buried underneath/behind the task bar.
    >>
    >>I have an NVidea card and have played with the various desktop settings
    >> through the NVidea display utility. but it changes nothing.
    >>
    >>I have experienced this on three separate machines using three separate
    >>display adapters, so I am thinking this is an OS problem.
    >>
    >>Any thoughts?
    >

    > The problem is an "on top" issue. Both the taskbar and the toolbar are
    > fighting for that position. Have not seen a solution yet that works 100%. I
    > did see a recent post that described a new twist (workaround).
    > Unfortunately, I did not jot down that person's name but here's the gist of
    > their method:
    >
    > Taskbar Properties> uncheck box to keep taskbar on top of other windows.
    > Click Apply. At this point the tooltips will show up again. Then check the
    > box again to keep taskbar on top and click OK to close the properties
    > window.
    >
    > Rinse and repeat as needed.
    >
    > So far this works well for me and is less bothersome or intrusive than some
    > other workarounds that I've tried in the past. It puts the z order of
    > positioning right again and will hold until the next time XP "forgets."
    >
    > Hope the suggestion helps you too.

    Yes. That certainly works short term. I am prepared to rinse and repeat
    as required.
    Thanks

    Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:

    > Review the following tips from Kelly, MS-MVP:
    > <Quote>
    > What is the difference between Minimize All and Show Desktop?
    > http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewt­hing/archive/2004/05/27/143042­.aspx
    >

    > Added tips and workarounds:
    >

    > Tool Tips Hidden Behind Taskbar (Line 321)
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm
    >

    > Restore Taskbar and Desktop to Default Functionality (Line 164)
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm
    >

    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/taskbarplus!.htm
    >

    > </Endquote>