Windows XP Pro install, Service Pack 2??

I just did a clean install of Windows XP Pro. I had a b**ch of a time,
getting the message "the file xxxxx.xxx was not copied correctly. The file
setup placed on
your HD is not a valid Windows XP system image. If you are installing from
CD, there may be a problem with the Windows XP CD."

After each error message it gave me the option to "Retry or Skip". " I hit
"Retry" many times, but it appearred to eventually copy the file correctly.
This happenend numerous times during the install (at least 15 times).... it
eventally got through the install however.

When I tried to install Service Pack 2, I got this service pack 2 setup
error message:

"a component's file does not match the verification information present in
the component manifest."

Should I install service pack 1 first? (I tried it and it didn't install
either)....

Any ideas / tips / suggestions / comments?

Howitzer
5 answers Last reply
More about windows install service pack

    Howitzer wrote:
    > I just did a clean install of Windows XP Pro. I had a b**ch of a time,
    > getting the message "the file xxxxx.xxx was not copied correctly. The file
    > setup placed on
    > your HD is not a valid Windows XP system image. If you are installing from
    > CD, there may be a problem with the Windows XP CD."
    >
    > After each error message it gave me the option to "Retry or Skip". " I hit
    > "Retry" many times, but it appearred to eventually copy the file correctly.
    > This happenend numerous times during the install (at least 15 times).... it
    > eventally got through the install however.
    >
    > When I tried to install Service Pack 2, I got this service pack 2 setup
    > error message:
    >
    > "a component's file does not match the verification information present in
    > the component manifest."
    >
    > Should I install service pack 1 first? (I tried it and it didn't install
    > either)....
    >
    > Any ideas / tips / suggestions / comments?
    >
    > Howitzer

    Problems copying files or corrupted files during installation are
    most often caused by defective or sub-standard hardware; in order of
    likelihood, either RAM, the hard drive, or the motherboard. On very
    rare occasions the installation CD is the problem.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Last question, first: No, do not install service pack 1. Service Pack 2 is the only one you would need to do.

    Are you super positive the XP Pro setup was 100% complete? and are you sure the XP CD is not warped, damaged, or dirty?

    Use this as a guide to Clean Install & Upgrading to WINDOWS XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    See Paul Thurrott's website on guide for XP clean install
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Howitzer wrote:
    > I just did a clean install of Windows XP Pro. I had a b**ch of a
    > time, getting the message "the file xxxxx.xxx was not copied
    > correctly. The file setup placed on
    > your HD is not a valid Windows XP system image. If you are installing
    > from CD, there may be a problem with the Windows XP CD."
    >
    > After each error message it gave me the option to "Retry or Skip". "
    > I hit "Retry" many times, but it appearred to eventually copy the
    > file correctly. This happenend numerous times during the install (at
    > least 15 times).... it eventally got through the install however.
    >
    > When I tried to install Service Pack 2, I got this service pack 2
    > setup error message:
    >
    > "a component's file does not match the verification information
    > present in the component manifest."
    >
    > Should I install service pack 1 first? (I tried it and it didn't
    > install either)....
    >
    > Any ideas / tips / suggestions / comments?
    >
    > Howitzer

    I have a couple of copies of the Windows XP CD's... same problem... I even
    swapped out CD drives, same problem...

    Howitzer

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > Last question, first: No, do not install service pack 1. Service Pack 2 is the only one you would need to do.
    >
    > Are you super positive the XP Pro setup was 100% complete? and are you sure the XP CD is not warped, damaged, or dirty?
    >
    > Use this as a guide to Clean Install & Upgrading to WINDOWS XP
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    >

    > See Paul Thurrott's website on guide for XP clean install
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
    >
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----
    >

    > Howitzer wrote:
    > > I just did a clean install of Windows XP Pro. I had a b**ch of a
    > > time, getting the message "the file xxxxx.xxx was not copied
    > > correctly. The file setup placed on
    > > your HD is not a valid Windows XP system image. If you are installing
    > > from CD, there may be a problem with the Windows XP CD."
    > >
    > > After each error message it gave me the option to "Retry or Skip". "
    > > I hit "Retry" many times, but it appearred to eventually copy the
    > > file correctly. This happenend numerous times during the install (at
    > > least 15 times).... it eventally got through the install however.
    > >
    > > When I tried to install Service Pack 2, I got this service pack 2
    > > setup error message:
    > >
    > > "a component's file does not match the verification information
    > > present in the component manifest."
    > >
    > > Should I install service pack 1 first? (I tried it and it didn't
    > > install either)....
    > >
    > > Any ideas / tips / suggestions / comments?
    > >
    > > Howitzer

    I have ran two RAM diagnostic utilities (DocMemory and Memtest86), the RAM
    tested ok. I switched hard drives, no fix... swapped CD drives, still no
    fix. I even changed the Power Supply... no fix.

    I flashed the BIOS at the start of all this, could this be it? I do have a
    spare identical mobo and CPU... I might swap them out...

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Howitzer wrote:
    > > I just did a clean install of Windows XP Pro. I had a b**ch of a time,
    > > getting the message "the file xxxxx.xxx was not copied correctly. The file
    > > setup placed on
    > > your HD is not a valid Windows XP system image. If you are installing from
    > > CD, there may be a problem with the Windows XP CD."
    > >
    > > After each error message it gave me the option to "Retry or Skip". " I hit
    > > "Retry" many times, but it appearred to eventually copy the file correctly.
    > > This happenend numerous times during the install (at least 15 times).... it
    > > eventally got through the install however.
    > >
    > > When I tried to install Service Pack 2, I got this service pack 2 setup
    > > error message:
    > >
    > > "a component's file does not match the verification information present in
    > > the component manifest."
    > >
    > > Should I install service pack 1 first? (I tried it and it didn't install
    > > either)....
    > >
    > > Any ideas / tips / suggestions / comments?
    > >
    > > Howitzer
    >

    > Problems copying files or corrupted files during installation are
    > most often caused by defective or sub-standard hardware; in order of
    > likelihood, either RAM, the hard drive, or the motherboard. On very
    > rare occasions the installation CD is the problem.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    try a different cd reader. The extra copies are original cd's or copies?

    "Howitzer" <Howitzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a couple of copies of the Windows XP CD's... same problem... I even
    > swapped out CD drives, same problem...
    >
    > Howitzer
    >
    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Last question, first: No, do not install service pack 1. Service Pack
    >> 2 is the only one you would need to do.
    >>
    >> Are you super positive the XP Pro setup was 100% complete? and are you
    >> sure the XP CD is not warped, damaged, or dirty?
    >>
    >> Use this as a guide to Clean Install & Upgrading to WINDOWS XP
    >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    >>

    >> See Paul Thurrott's website on guide for XP clean install
    >> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
    >>
    >> --
    >> Maurice N
    >> MVP Windows - Shell / User
    >> -----
    >>

    >> Howitzer wrote:
    >> > I just did a clean install of Windows XP Pro. I had a b**ch of a
    >> > time, getting the message "the file xxxxx.xxx was not copied
    >> > correctly. The file setup placed on
    >> > your HD is not a valid Windows XP system image. If you are installing
    >> > from CD, there may be a problem with the Windows XP CD."
    >> >
    >> > After each error message it gave me the option to "Retry or Skip". "
    >> > I hit "Retry" many times, but it appearred to eventually copy the
    >> > file correctly. This happenend numerous times during the install (at
    >> > least 15 times).... it eventally got through the install however.
    >> >
    >> > When I tried to install Service Pack 2, I got this service pack 2
    >> > setup error message:
    >> >
    >> > "a component's file does not match the verification information
    >> > present in the component manifest."
    >> >
    >> > Should I install service pack 1 first? (I tried it and it didn't
    >> > install either)....
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas / tips / suggestions / comments?
    >> >
    >> > Howitzer

Error Message Windows XP