Microcell network integration around Montreal has begun

A 4 legged furry CSR confirmed to me that where I live, the Microcell
tower was turned over to Rogers yesterday, and I am in the west island
of Montreal. It seems that october was the target for downtown montreal,
but around downtown Montreal they've already begun the conversion.

Yesterday, I was on Fido doing GPRS on the bus, and then at Dorval, lost
signal. Did a network search and no Fido. Had to enable automatic
network switch on my phone (which I had disabled so I would still have a
picture instead of the really bad www.fido.ca text).

So, from now on, in Montreal, one cannot have a phone configured to
stick to Fido. It really needs to have the ability to switch to Rogers.

Just tried my old 6190 and it seems to work on CAN 72. (Rogers).

What the 4 legged CSR told me was strange though. He said that once
network integration would be done, we would again get Fido network
signals. Has anyone else heard that ? (That seems to be at odds with
everything else I had heard).

Does anyone know if it is technically possible to tell the Siemens M55
to consider Rogers the home network so that the behaviour of the home
network could be maintained ?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I noticed that as of last week I can't get a FIDO signal on my phone
either (in west island) and i get rogers only. I hope they won't be
charging us roaming for their drop in service...

Any ideas?

In article <1117921232.432d18306b76993340d90e2067068949@teranews>,
jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com says...

Chris wrote:

> I noticed that as of last week I can't get a FIDO signal on my phone
> either (in west island) and i get rogers only. I hope they won't be
> charging us roaming for their drop in service...

My nephew got a Fido phone for Christmas. It still says "Fido" on it ven
in a place where manual network selection on my phone yields no
Microcell coverage at all.

Makes me wonder if current Fido phones are programmed to say "Fido" when
they see the Rogers network ID.