Loztsoul

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003
Hi guys I tried to backtrack forum for this topic...I am about to order my mobo etc from new egg and noticed that they sell OEM winX much cheaper than what i could pay for it retail.

my question is I am a novice computer builder i.e this will be my first foray into computer building from scratch...I mainly am building this comp to replace my aging Dell and want it to be able to run today's software and run decent games as well as DJ software.

Will I be shooting myself in the foot using WinX home version as opposed to the pro version? do I miss out on features and stability?

how complex is winXpro I have heard people talking of hard installs and having to know exact hardware info etc...

winX home is slightly cheaper and if their is not much difference I am thinking perhaps its the best choice for me.

Plus what are the disadvantages of OEM software as opposed to full retail box software? just lack of manual etc?

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
The only real difference between OEM and retail is the lack of the fancy packaging. OEM is cheaper as it is supposed to be sold ONLY with hardware.

As far as Home vs Pro go, it depends on what you are going to be doing with it. pro has more secuitity features, as well as more/better networking capabilities. If you have just the one computer, you would probably find Home to be just fine.

I had Home on my laptop, but decided I needed Pro instead, as I have four PCs networked at home, and I also use my laptop on my office network, I have no problems switching from network to network with Pro.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Quantum 6GB
LG24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K Pro.

G

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing.asp" target="_new">Which Edition Is Right for You?</A>

In the end, you'll have to make the decision based on your own needs. Most people here will probably say Pro, but you have to remember who your talking to.

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Keep in mind that if you install an OEM version of WinXP too many times, it will eventually be disabled and you won't be able to activate it. Even after calling Microsoft, they'll just insist that you return it to the vendor to be replaced. They won't activate it. My opinion, purchase an OEM copy and then download the corporate version of WinXP Pro and install that. The purchased copy is just for morality's sake.
-Brett

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
download the corporate version of WinXP Pro and install

Where can this be downloaded. Kazaa?

<font color=red>If your nose <b>RUNS</b>, and feet <b>SMELL</b>.
Then you must be born <b>UPSIDE DOWN</b>.</font color=red>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
The advantages of the Pro edition is the networking capabilities, just that it.

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I'm sure there are more advantages than that, I'm just too lazy to look them up right now. :)

If I get a chance, I will post a link with the differences, if I can find one.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Quantum 6GB
LG24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K Pro.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
but i would be best if i can download it using DAP.
It's just very hard to find in the internet.

TRENDING THREADS