Remote assistance problems...

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Windows XP
July 5, 2005 12:40:49 AM

I'm trying to help my mother-in-law out via remote assistance, but aren't
able to connect.
She's running XP Home behind a dsl modem & I'm running XP Pro.
When her invitation arrives, I save it to the desktop, open with notepad &
change the NAT address to the address her modem is being assigned. When I
try to connect, I still get the message, "Remote Assistance connection could
not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved.
Please try again."
What else can I try?

More about : remote assistance problems

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:05:45 AM

Forward FTP port 3389 on her router software to her LAN IP.

Have her go to start/run, and type CMD , then at that prompt : IPCONFIG

The listed "Default Gateway" will be the router address. (e.g. http://192.168.0.1 )

If you mean there is no router, you are probably hacking the invite incorrectly, or her Firewall in stopping it.

When you get the email requesting assistance,save the attachment to disk. Right-click, Open With, and choose Notepad. You will see a
line like this: RCTICKET="65538,1,192.168.0.4:3389;novicecomputer:3389, This is the private IP address and the name of the person
requesting help's computer, followed by the port number. Insert the IP address of the NAT router and port number in front of the
private IP address. (see http://www.whatismyip.com ) like this: 206.192.44.102:3389; And final line like this:
RCTICKET="65538,1,206.192.44.102:3389;192.168.0.4:3389;novicecomputer:3389, Save file.

--
Mark L. Ferguson

!