Print server????

I have a Brother MFC4800 all in one laser printer. Recently I saw an ad for
an IOgear wireless print server that could be used via the internet to print
to a remote printer. Intrigued I checked it out & looked at others(Belkin,
Hawkings, Linksys, etc.) The popular consensus is it might not work on a
Multi-function machine as it would be capable of only printing & nothing
else or it wouldn't work at all. Anyone here have any suggestions or am I
beating a dead horse? I was wondering if I could take a Linksys wireless-G
print server(WPS54GU2) with both a parallel & USB connections or one with
just a single parallel port, & connect it via parallel & also to the PC via
the USB port??? Any one ever try this? TIA!

--
CorkyF

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:49:16 GMT, Roughrider50 spoketh

>I have a Brother MFC4800 all in one laser printer. Recently I saw an ad for
>an IOgear wireless print server that could be used via the internet to print
>to a remote printer. Intrigued I checked it out & looked at others(Belkin,
>Hawkings, Linksys, etc.) The popular consensus is it might not work on a
>Multi-function machine as it would be capable of only printing & nothing
>else or it wouldn't work at all. Anyone here have any suggestions or am I
>beating a dead horse? I was wondering if I could take a Linksys wireless-G
>print server(WPS54GU2) with both a parallel & USB connections or one with
>just a single parallel port, & connect it via parallel & also to the PC via
>the USB port??? Any one ever try this? TIA!

A print server (wired or wireless) will allow you to _print_ over a
network connection. The keyword is "print".

If you need to share the printer with other devices on your network
(wired or wireless), and it is connected to one of your computer, you
can enable sharing of the printer there, and your other computers can
simply send their print-jobs there. Again, it would probably be printing
only, but you should be able to use the other features of the device
from the computer with the parallel or USB connection.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

Roughrider50 wrote:

> I have a Brother MFC4800 all in one laser printer. Recently I saw an ad for
> an IOgear wireless print server that could be used via the internet to print
> to a remote printer. Intrigued I checked it out & looked at others(Belkin,
> Hawkings, Linksys, etc.) The popular consensus is it might not work on a
> Multi-function machine as it would be capable of only printing & nothing
> else or it wouldn't work at all. Anyone here have any suggestions or am I
> beating a dead horse? I was wondering if I could take a Linksys wireless-G
> print server(WPS54GU2) with both a parallel & USB connections or one with
> just a single parallel port, & connect it via parallel & also to the PC via
> the USB port??? Any one ever try this? TIA!

Print servers are generally (perhaps always?) unidirectional. That means
you can only send jobs to them, not receive information/data back.

I don't believe you can use both a parallel and USB connection to the
printer at the same time.