Hey guys,
Well, it finally happened... after doing this for the better part of 10
years, I finally got bit by a monitor anode. I was lazy, didn't discharge
the tube. Here's the thing... it didn't zap me when I was taking the
chassis OUT.... it got me putting the anode back IN after about 5 minutes or
so... that means either I was REAL lucky taking it out, or the CRT charged
itself back up a little. The arc was at least 1/2 inch to a full inch, and
I was holding the rubber suction cup.

No, it didn't kill me, no it didn't knock me on my ass.... it DID feel like
a good hard whack in my wrist, and hit hurt all over for a brief second...
but it was more startling and embarrassing.

My point is, respect the CRT.

Rob

I took a hit not long ago. I guess jumping from the screwdriver to me
was a better path to GND then the alligator clip to frame.

Does anyone else get really pissed after getting shocked. (angry). Every
time I get shocked by serious voltage I can (in my head) be in a good
mood, but I just fell (emotionally) pissed, angry. Not angry at anything
in particular, just feeling the emotion of anger. It's probably just me.
Maybe I need anger management classes.

Aaron.

Rob Carroll wrote:
> Hey guys,
> Well, it finally happened... after doing this for the better part of 10
> years, I finally got bit by a monitor anode. I was lazy, didn't discharge
> the tube. Here's the thing... it didn't zap me when I was taking the
> chassis OUT.... it got me putting the anode back IN after about 5 minutes or
> so... that means either I was REAL lucky taking it out, or the CRT charged
> itself back up a little. The arc was at least 1/2 inch to a full inch, and
> I was holding the rubber suction cup.

The one that got me was after I discharged it once. It didn't hurt but
I did lose control of my arm which could have been bad since I was
carrying the tube.

yeah... the will charge back up... it's really just a big cap with the glass
as a dialectric. You're always going to have leakage.

I git bit myself from the crt's recharging themselves more times then I wasn
to remember...

"Rob Carroll" <robert.carroll30@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
> Well, it finally happened... after doing this for the better part of 10
> years, I finally got bit by a monitor anode. I was lazy, didn't discharge
> the tube. Here's the thing... it didn't zap me when I was taking the
> chassis OUT.... it got me putting the anode back IN after about 5 minutes
> or so... that means either I was REAL lucky taking it out, or the CRT
> charged itself back up a little. The arc was at least 1/2 inch to a full
> inch, and I was holding the rubber suction cup.
>
> No, it didn't kill me, no it didn't knock me on my ass.... it DID feel
> like a good hard whack in my wrist, and hit hurt all over for a brief
> second... but it was more startling and embarrassing.
>
> My point is, respect the CRT.
>
> Rob

Hey,
Rob wait until tomorrow. I was hit once and it hurt like hell. What really
hurt was the next day when my arm felt like it was punched on all night.

"Rob Carroll" <robert.carroll30@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
> Well, it finally happened... after doing this for the better part of 10
> years, I finally got bit by a monitor anode. I was lazy, didn't discharge
> the tube. Here's the thing... it didn't zap me when I was taking the
> chassis OUT.... it got me putting the anode back IN after about 5 minutes
> or so... that means either I was REAL lucky taking it out, or the CRT
> charged itself back up a little. The arc was at least 1/2 inch to a full
> inch, and I was holding the rubber suction cup.
>
> No, it didn't kill me, no it didn't knock me on my ass.... it DID feel
> like a good hard whack in my wrist, and hit hurt all over for a brief
> second... but it was more startling and embarrassing.
>
> My point is, respect the CRT.
>
> Rob

Don't you hate that? I always leave my HV probe attached to the frame
so that I don't forget to discharge the tube one more time before
hooking up the clip.

I have surprised myself several times with the amount of voltage in the
tube even after sitting for a day or so.

I've been bit a few times but not real bad. The worst though has come
from Electrohome G07s when I desolder F101 because it is blown and then
set the chassis on my lap to use a fuse puller to get the fuse out of
that tight spot.

Youch! Missed me by that much! Now I always short across the big grey
cap before attempting to pull that fuse. Big sparks just about every time.

Pat D.

Rob Carroll wrote:
> Hey guys,
> Well, it finally happened... after doing this for the better part of 10
> years, I finally got bit by a monitor anode. I was lazy, didn't discharge
> the tube. Here's the thing... it didn't zap me when I was taking the
> chassis OUT.... it got me putting the anode back IN after about 5 minutes or
> so... that means either I was REAL lucky taking it out, or the CRT charged
> itself back up a little. The arc was at least 1/2 inch to a full inch, and
> I was holding the rubber suction cup.
>
> No, it didn't kill me, no it didn't knock me on my ass.... it DID feel like
> a good hard whack in my wrist, and hit hurt all over for a brief second...
> but it was more startling and embarrassing.
>
> My point is, respect the CRT.
>
> Rob

Couple weeks ago, I put a K7000 monitor chassis back in, got everything
bolted up, and turned the game on. The Anode was lying on the power supply
in the bottom of the game, I forgot to put it in the tube! A... oh, 1/2'
wide beam of electrons or something (looked like a friekin' light saber)
leaped out of the anode and arced through the air, grounding into the power
supply. It was unbelievable, it literally looked like a light saber.

Anyways, turned it off, re-installed anode in tube, everything worked fine.
I couldn't believe it.

Ron

"Rob Carroll" <robert.carroll30@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
> Well, it finally happened... after doing this for the better part of 10
> years, I finally got bit by a monitor anode. I was lazy, didn't discharge
> the tube. Here's the thing... it didn't zap me when I was taking the
> chassis OUT.... it got me putting the anode back IN after about 5 minutes
> or so... that means either I was REAL lucky taking it out, or the CRT
> charged itself back up a little. The arc was at least 1/2 inch to a full
> inch, and I was holding the rubber suction cup.
>
> No, it didn't kill me, no it didn't knock me on my ass.... it DID feel
> like a good hard whack in my wrist, and hit hurt all over for a brief
> second... but it was more startling and embarrassing.
>
> My point is, respect the CRT.
>
> Rob

lmao... it's called a jacobs ladder (sort of)... they can be quite fun
actually :)

"Ron Lyons" <LyonsArcade@Carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
> Couple weeks ago, I put a K7000 monitor chassis back in, got everything
> bolted up, and turned the game on. The Anode was lying on the power
> supply in the bottom of the game, I forgot to put it in the tube! A... oh,
> 1/2' wide beam of electrons or something (looked like a friekin' light
> saber) leaped out of the anode and arced through the air, grounding into
> the power supply. It was unbelievable, it literally looked like a light
> saber.
>
> Anyways, turned it off, re-installed anode in tube, everything worked
> fine. I couldn't believe it.
>
> Ron
>
> "Rob Carroll" <robert.carroll30@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Hey guys,
>> Well, it finally happened... after doing this for the better part of 10
>> years, I finally got bit by a monitor anode. I was lazy, didn't
>> discharge the tube. Here's the thing... it didn't zap me when I was
>> taking the chassis OUT.... it got me putting the anode back IN after
>> about 5 minutes or so... that means either I was REAL lucky taking it
>> out, or the CRT charged itself back up a little. The arc was at least
>> 1/2 inch to a full inch, and I was holding the rubber suction cup.
>>
>> No, it didn't kill me, no it didn't knock me on my ass.... it DID feel
>> like a good hard whack in my wrist, and hit hurt all over for a brief
>> second... but it was more startling and embarrassing.
>>
>> My point is, respect the CRT.
>>
>> Rob

yep, i get the same mood. i get a "hot flash" from it too:) from
nervousness i guess. all sweaty n stuff!!! the only 3 times i was
shocked were:
2 times when a chassis was on the bench as it still had juice a
flowing and i was working on it, circuit crossed from my solder iron,
loud "pop" in my face when i was in deep concentration.

the 3rd time was when i was screwing some of the litle screws on a
sanyo monitor back to the chassis. the anode was not installed yet and
my hand was close to the tube opening where the anode goes and as i was
turning the screwdriver some elec jumped out and got me. my hand was
about 2 inch or so from the tube opening (long philip head)!!
BTW
i take my anodes off in an odd way:

first, i put rubber gloves on.
second, i take my plastic old style (from the 70's) fuse pullers that
are usually used to pull automotive fuses. i pull the anode off of the
tube with the fuse pullers and i instantly ground it to the chassis.

when i am ready to reinstall, i ground it to the chassis again, then i
place it on the tube and i put one leg in and i use a plastic tv align
screwdriver to squeeze in the other leg.

all of this prevents any mishaps (for me anyway). my hands never touch
the anode, only my plastic tools do.

:):):)

zadok! wrote:
> I took a hit not long ago. I guess jumping from the screwdriver to me
> was a better path to GND then the alligator clip to frame.
>
> Does anyone else get really pissed after getting shocked. (angry). Every
> time I get shocked by serious voltage I can (in my head) be in a good
> mood, but I just fell (emotionally) pissed, angry. Not angry at anything
> in particular, just feeling the emotion of anger. It's probably just me.
> Maybe I need anger management classes.
>
> Aaron.

humm... does grounding the anode actually *do* anything... how much charge
is actually stored in the flyback?

grounding the tube is the killer (the tube is the big cap).

hell.. I just ground the thing, then reach right in with my bare hands,
squeeze the rubber and yank her right off (I'm talking about the anode here
for all you wise-asses).

only time i've ever been bit was when I was too lazy and *assumed* that
enough time had gone by dissipate any existing charge (of course I got hit
*3* times as I kept assuring myself that *I* had grounded enough current
that it wouldn't matter any more).

of course, while the anode hurts, the worst are the crotch hits from the big
caps (someone else had mentioned this... it's really true and hurts like a
sob).

interestingly though, if you ever want to "get" someone, just throw a pair
of wires (on the bottom, insulated on one side) of a door knob, run them to
a cap, charge it up to 40 volts or so and wait for someone to grab the door
knob. that was always fun in college...