Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarutobi0997

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
i have been looking for a high performance laptop for gaming and school to replace my current computer. so far i have found the HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Entertainment Notebook PC customized it comes out at about 750USD to be a good buy but i'd like to know if if its worth the money.

Specs:
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (im gonna wipe it clean and put in ultimate as soon as i get it)
Processor: 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 2GB GDDR 5 video memory
RAM: FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard Drive: FREE Upgrade to 640GB 5400RPM Hard Drive (planning to swap it out with SSHD)
Display: 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)
Battery: im wondering if a 9cell battery will give a significant (2-3hrs) boost in battery life (20USD upgrade)

i'd like opinions on whether i can play games like Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Minecraft, TF2, etc. on med/high settings at 35+ fps. pls dont tell me "768p is gay", "you cant play games on GT 650". I'm not trying to play these games on ultra at 65 fps; i just want decent fps with decent graphics. but please tell me if there are any bottlenecks in the computer design. i would like this computer to last at least 2-3 years and im planning to get a new one in 4 if it does

Solution
Well, based on what you've said, this laptop will last you fine for the next 2 years at least. The thing is, now days technology changes every 6 months, so like a year and a half from now, you're going have a whole bunch of new options and technologies to add and use. Don't worry too much about the dv6t 7000, just get something that'll keep you going for the next year or two. I think you can manage with this, if you're not gaming too much. Also, you're unlikely to get a better deal if you're on the $750 budget. If you absolutely need it for school and carrying around, then get it, but if you're looking for performance over mobility, for $750 you can build a pretty good desktop...

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Ah. The thing is, it's not a "high performance" laptop. But it will manage most of your needs. The i5 is ok, I'm not a fan of choosing i5s over i7s. But it will cost you more for an i7. The good thing is this comes with a 650M GPU, which is a low level class 1 graphics card, so it will support most of your games on medium settings without a problem. And it'll manage any video/photo related stuff just fine. 6GB RAM is good, but in a year or two your computer may slow down on account of RAM, so if you can't upgrade it more, then think carefully about it. You should always have the comfortable option of upgrading RAM, just in case. But you can manage all right with 6GB RAM. :)

Sarutobi0997

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
yea, atm this computer is above average but its not a very "furture proof" laptop. im sure in about 3-5 years (with all the software and hardware advancements) 6gb might become the "new" 4gb in terms of performance which is y i might switch over to desktop gaming soon and just use an ultrabook "on the go". also im chosing the i5 over the i7 since i rly dont think i can take advantage of an i7 since i dont do very heavy multi-tasking but imo i3's aren't the best choice. its a 45USD upgrade (from the 13-2350m to i5-3210m) for about 100USD increase in performance. i just rly hate my current computer T_T: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02207161&cc=ad&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0003 (i got it before i knew anything about computers, it was probably considered fast in 2001)

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Well, based on what you've said, this laptop will last you fine for the next 2 years at least. The thing is, now days technology changes every 6 months, so like a year and a half from now, you're going have a whole bunch of new options and technologies to add and use. Don't worry too much about the dv6t 7000, just get something that'll keep you going for the next year or two. I think you can manage with this, if you're not gaming too much. Also, you're unlikely to get a better deal if you're on the $750 budget. If you absolutely need it for school and carrying around, then get it, but if you're looking for performance over mobility, for $750 you can build a pretty good desktop...

Solution

Sarutobi0997

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
yea ive seen online many 500USD and 750USD gaming builds and thats probably what im going to reference for a desktop in the future. i guess ill just have to hope lasts me 4 yrs and doesnt become obselete

Status
Not open for further replies.