Boot up issue

Yesterday I bought a new motherboard. I have connected to the
motherboard a 2.2 GHz pentium 4 processor, 2 hard drives (80 and 120
GB), a dvd player and a DVD/CD re-writer. Everything is showing up in
the BIOS ok.

I installed Windows XP (made no changes or installed any software after
installing) and rebooted the PC. When I rebooted the PC after the
initial P.O.S.T the PC hangs for about 1 - 2 minutes and I get the
following error message

Hardware/profile configuration menu

This menu allows you to select a hardware profile when windows is
started

If your system is not starting correctly, then you may switch to a
previous system configuration, important: system configuration changes
made since the last successful start up will be discarded.

Profile 1

If I choose profile 1 (the only choice) windows loads normally.

I tried reformatting again and I still get the same boot up problems.

--
enner100

Do the setup without the re-writer connected.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"enner100" <enner100.1rolpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message news:enner100.1rolpn@pcbanter.net...

> Yesterday I bought a new motherboard. I have connected to the
> motherboard a 2.2 GHz pentium 4 processor, 2 hard drives (80 and 120
> GB), a dvd player and a DVD/CD re-writer. Everything is showing up in
> the BIOS ok.
>
> I installed Windows XP (made no changes or installed any software after
> installing) and rebooted the PC. When I rebooted the PC after the
> initial P.O.S.T the PC hangs for about 1 - 2 minutes and I get the
> following error message
>
> Hardware/profile configuration menu
>
> This menu allows you to select a hardware profile when windows is
> started
>
> If your system is not starting correctly, then you may switch to a
> previous system configuration, important: system configuration changes
> made since the last successful start up will be discarded.
>
> Profile 1
>

> If I choose profile 1 (the only choice) windows loads normally.
>

> I tried reformatting again and I still get the same boot up problems.
>

> --
> enner100

anna

>> Yesterday I bought a new motherboard. I have connected to the
>> motherboard a 2.2 GHz pentium 4 processor, 2 hard drives (80 and 120
>> GB), a dvd player and a DVD/CD re-writer. Everything is showing up in
>> the BIOS ok.
>>
>> I installed Windows XP (made no changes or installed any software after
>> installing) and rebooted the PC. When I rebooted the PC after the
>> initial P.O.S.T the PC hangs for about 1 - 2 minutes and I get the
>> following error message
>>
>> Hardware/profile configuration menu
>>
>> This menu allows you to select a hardware profile when windows is
>> started
>>
>> If your system is not starting correctly, then you may switch to a
>> previous system configuration, important: system configuration changes
>> made since the last successful start up will be discarded.
>>
>> Profile 1
>>

>> If I choose profile 1 (the only choice) windows loads normally.
>>

>> I tried reformatting again and I still get the same boot up problems.
>> --
>> enner100

enner100:
Do this...
1. Install your motherboard w/processor, its heatsink, your RAM modules,
your video card & monitor and power supply. (You can also connect your
keyboard & mouse if you wish). BUT NOTHING ELSE. No hard or optical drives,
no sound card, no other peripherals. Make certain these components are
correctly installed. Read (and then re:read) your motherboard's manual to
ensure that the BIOS settings are correct for your machine.
2. Power up. You've got to get a screen display at that point. If you don't,
you go no further. You find the problem and fix it.
3. Assuming all seems well at this point, you install one (and only one!)
component at a time and test it out and check that whatever drives you have
installed are BIOS-identified . Make absolutely certain these devices are
correctly connected & configured.
4. After all your components have been assembled and apparently working
properly, boot up with your XP installation CD and perform a new install of
the operating system. (I assume from what you've said that you are making a
fresh install of the OS).
5. Assuming the OS install goes OK, install from your motherboard's
installation CD whatever drivers are necessary.
6. Hopefully, you have a bootable machine at this point, but if not, let us
know.
Anna

When you first install Windows, a hardware profile called Profile 1 (for
laptops, the profiles are Docked Profile or Undocked Profile) is created. By
default, every device that is installed on your computer at the time you
install Windows is enabled in the Profile 1 hardware profile. Try
following: Star>Control panel>System>Hardware tab>Hardware profiles- under
available profiles on ly "Profile 1" should be listed and selected - check
various settings = particularly those under "When Windows starts" options.
BTW - path above is by classic control panel view, otherwise via
"Performance and maintenance".

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL