Need help with two wireless routers talking to each other

Here's my current setup, and what I'd like to do:

I have the cablemodem in the basement, along with a linksys router and a
few locally connected computers. I have an ethernet cable that runs from
there upstairs to a switch, and a few more computers.

I'd like to use two wireless routers to replace the ethernet cable
running between floors. I bought a Netgear MR814 and a Linksys BEFW11S4.
I've spent a few hours trying various combinations of settings and local
networks, without success.

Is this type of connection possible, and if so, any suggestions as to
how to make it work?

I suggest using the MR814 as your router only. Disable wireless mode
and connect the router(WAN port) to your cable modem. Now use the
Linksys router as your access point. Connect a Cable from the Linksys
(don't use the WAN port) and plug it into one of the ports on the
MR814. In order to access the menu on both routers, you must set the
LAN IP addresses within the same subnet. For instance: MR814
(192.168.0.124 and Linksys (192.168.0.134). Oh yeah, disable DHCP on
the Linksys because the MR814 will make the assignments. Take care.

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:13:10 -0400, Chris Smolinski
<cps@blackcatsystems.com> wrote:

>Here's my current setup, and what I'd like to do:
>
>I have the cablemodem in the basement, along with a linksys router and a
>few locally connected computers. I have an ethernet cable that runs from
>there upstairs to a switch, and a few more computers.
>
>I'd like to use two wireless routers to replace the ethernet cable
>running between floors. I bought a Netgear MR814 and a Linksys BEFW11S4.
>I've spent a few hours trying various combinations of settings and local
>networks, without success.
>
>Is this type of connection possible, and if so, any suggestions as to
>how to make it work?

On Sat, 01 May 2004 03:53:12 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Doug Jamal
<unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I suggest using the MR814 as your router only. Disable wireless mode
>and connect the router(WAN port) to your cable modem. Now use the
>Linksys router as your access point. Connect a Cable from the Linksys
>(don't use the WAN port) and plug it into one of the ports on the
>MR814.

but he wants to use the wireless to /replace/ the cable between the floors.
How does this help?

To the OP: I'm not sure you can do this with two routers. I think you need
a different piece of kit - a wireless repeater or a bridge possibly.

--
Mark McIntyre

rico

In article <lkv690d8tihca1qb6482k87hje6f60f21i@4ax.com>, Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:
>On Sat, 01 May 2004 03:53:12 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Doug Jamal
><unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I suggest using the MR814 as your router only. Disable wireless mode
>>and connect the router(WAN port) to your cable modem. Now use the
>>Linksys router as your access point. Connect a Cable from the Linksys
>>(don't use the WAN port) and plug it into one of the ports on the
>>MR814.
>
>but he wants to use the wireless to /replace/ the cable between the floors.
>How does this help?
>
>To the OP: I'm not sure you can do this with two routers. I think you need
>a different piece of kit - a wireless repeater or a bridge possibly.

That is it, two APs in Bridge mode. Most brands support this, but make sure
the brand you choose does before buying. Check the AP out on the Web.

rico

In article <pe7690larp9k6ehm065kl5uf45bgm6oat0@4ax.com>, Doug Jamal <unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I suggest using the MR814 as your router only. Disable wireless mode
>and connect the router(WAN port) to your cable modem. Now use the
>Linksys router as your access point. Connect a Cable from the Linksys
>(don't use the WAN port) and plug it into one of the ports on the
>MR814. In order to access the menu on both routers, you must set the
>LAN IP addresses within the same subnet. For instance: MR814
>(192.168.0.124 and Linksys (192.168.0.134). Oh yeah, disable DHCP on
>the Linksys because the MR814 will make the assignments. Take care.

Doug, consider reading the post Chris made again and see if you still think
your reply is in fact the answer to his problem of wanting to do away with
a wire between two switches.